View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
Quote:
"My subjects are long dead. I have to exhume them first, and then decrypt their secrets from whatever dead languages or flowery prose they were written in. And that's if I'm lucky enough to have them written down."

"Plus, I'm not sure we're so alike. Aldente's first response to difficulties was to kidnap, torture and kill the targets of her study. In our case... Think of Audacity. Think of our parley yesterday.

I think we can choose to be better than she was."

Quote:
"It's, tough, to strike out and find new knowledge. But, we persevere, and that's how we advance."

Claire: "Hasn't the military been shooting down witches and dragging their parts to me to for research? I'm not sure if that's drastically different from Aldente's operations.

Your subjects are at least already dead."

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 am

"The army shoots down witches because they're at war. If they didn't, the birds would have leveled the city already.

I know it's, hard to not beat yourself up over this sort of research. But the witches they bring would be killed one way or another.

I think it's more respectful to make use of their parts than to let them just rot and be forgotten."

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:18 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Areku wrote:
"The army shoots down witches because they're at war. If they didn't, the birds would have leveled the city already.

I bet it does get kind of... grim, if you think about it too long. But the witches they bring would be killed one way or another.

I think it's more respectful to make use of their parts than to let them just rot and be forgotten."

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
Areku wrote:

I bet it does get kind of... grim, if you think about it too long. But the witches they bring would be killed one way or another.

She stares at her lap for a bit, silent.

[Continue reading]
[Other]

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:57 am
Loose Canon

"You want to keep reading?"

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"You want to keep reading?"

Claire: "Sure."

You open up the book again.

With the SBC's alterian structure isolated from the rest of the spirit, a large number of experiments are performed to determine how signals are routed and transformed.

More complex diagrams of the SBCs, and then SBCs featuring more of the spirit around them - large numbers of seemingly random assortments of parts attached, as if trying to learn what useful parts should be attached by brute forcing combinations.

Several attempts at making constructs that can "push" or "grab" alterian matter, but it doesn't seem like HM can "push" spirits in a useful manner. Spirit forms often wrap around the HM's alterian form instead of being manipulated.

Manipulation using tendrils seems to have more success. Spirits are cut open, individual "organs" are removed, and observations are made on the spirit.

After a fairly large number of experiments, an good "minimalistic" form is found - no personality (based on telepathy checks), while the spirit is still capable of self-repairs and following telepathic programming.

Finally, diagrams of various biological bodies - "grown" off of Aldente and modified, with the minimalist SBCs placed inside them to act as a controller. All of the bodies seem to be disproportioned forms of human females, some of them looking like the puppet you spoke with during the meaning.

The book ends here with a few notes. Aldente has reached the point of being able to harvest SBCs and strip them down for re-use to "plug" into a freshly created body.

Claire: "Wonder how many puppets she has walking around."

[Today][][][Witch offensive]

Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:08 am

"Even more so, I wonder what sort of creature she is, to be able to... Sprout, new bodies, at will.

Hm.

Perhaps... If you removed the SBC without stripping the personality parts, could you keep the original spirit alive? Our medically-inclined friends would probably love to know that."

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:08 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Even more so, I wonder what sort of creature she is, to be able to... Sprout, new bodies, at will.

Hm.

Perhaps... If you removed the SBC without stripping the personality parts, could you keep the original spirit alive? Our medically-inclined friends would probably love to know that."

Claire: "Probably. I don't know if anyone other than the Whitehawk and I guess Aldente have the ability to hook up SBCs to a new body, though."

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 pm

"Dang medical mages, hiding all sorts of ancient knowledge."

>Flip to the next page, realize the book is over, neatly close it.

"Well, that was enlightening. And a bit confusing. And disturbing, too.

We should offer Aldente one of Bezel's doll bodies, since she doesn't seem to have the whole 'human form' thing down yet.

So, that's that. What would you like to do now?"

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Areku wrote:

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
Areku wrote:

Claire: "I dunno. Relax a bit? I could use a drink right now. Bezel might want to read the book, too."

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:37 am

"True, that. I... Could do with some refreshments, too. Give me a minute, lemme go deliver this book-"

>Go give Bezel the book, warn her it's pretty heavy stuff, grab a bottle of wine and two glasses from our supplies. Return to Claire!

>Wordlessly sit down next to her, pour us both a glass.

Last edited by Areku on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Yeah, same. Pour me a glass too."
> Back to Bezel's room, knock.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:08 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah, same. Pour me a glass too."
> Back to Bezel's room, knock.

You take the book and walk over to Bezel's room while Claire heads downstairs.

Knocking on the door, it soon opens with Bezel standing there, wearing a full suit of polished armor. Articulated joints, transparent faceplate, and shiny.

Bezel: "Hey."

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 am
Loose Canon

"Hey.

Having fun I see."

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228, 229  Next