View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716 ... 718  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Heh. It's not for everyone, I admit."

Bezel: "Well, at least I can make things edible."

Ellen: "It's perfectly good! Just think of the variation as a way to mix things up."

Bezel grumbles but resumes eating with a more relaxed expression.

[Timeskip]
[Other]
7420-06-24 Monday

Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 am
Loose Canon

> Alright, timeskip.

Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Alright, timeskip.

~

After dinner is over, you return to your room.

Hm. Is this time for a secret-discussion meeting, or something else?

[Meeting time with Evelyn and Bezel]
[Other]
7420-06-24 Monday

Fri May 29, 2020 4:47 am
Loose Canon

> Yeah, meeting time.

Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Yeah, meeting time.

After retrieving Bezel, the two of you meet Evelyn in her room and close the door.

Evelyn: Link is up.
7420-06-24 Monday

Fri May 29, 2020 5:00 am
Loose Canon

Would've said it earlier but Ellen was there, and also Kamilla gave a pretty strong suggestion to watch what we say.
So it wasn't just a mausoleum, there was the Vault of Souls there after all. It was a literal vault, with a space barrier surrounding the whole thing. Found the key buried in some rubble up on the surface.
So inside is this immaculate vault, practically looks like a high class hotel, with rows and rows of ceiling high shelves. Looked like library stacks, except instead of books all the shelves were filled with little boxes. Each one had a little walnut sized crystal, exactly like the one Rafflesia showed me.

Thousands of crystallized SBCs, all asleep and waiting. We woke one up and started talking to him, he was understandably confused.
Told him the year, he asked if we knew Theodore Warden, which we don't. He says he's from year 9230, says it must be a new cycle, and then the jackass started forming a body from HM while Evelyn was holding him.
That spooked us and we ran out of the vault, locking it, but he hasted out with his new body before the door closed, called us rude, and then said 'The new world awaits.' and hasted off to explore.
Jerk. He also had, really bright orange eyes. Unnaturally so. They reminded me of Kamillas.

Anyway. Since that left SO many questions, we opened it back up, grabbed another spirit without waking it, and put it in Aphelia for safekeeping. The plan being to ask Kamilla for assistance on containment and interviewing.
Travel back here, Kamilla's busy of course so I leave a letter with a mage that's waiting for her. Letter said we found the vault, talked to a spirit, it mentioned the year, please help.
Then an hour after we get home, Kamilla herself comes knocking. Armored.
She asks for the spirit and the key, and obviously I gave them to her. Before she left she says that there's a lot of these vaults, buried all over the world. Something is wrong with the spirits inside, cause they all end up destroyed within a week. She thinks it's something to do with the Reapers, or something like them. And, if she warns the people, then they go on a rampage and destroy everything around them.

Then she tells me to be careful what secrets I let slip out, and leaves.

So yeah. Bassa Falls was a bust, but also not.

Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
Would've said it earlier but Ellen was there, and also Kamilla gave a pretty strong suggestion to watch what we say.
So it wasn't just a mausoleum, there was the Vault of Souls there after all. It was a literal vault, with a space barrier surrounding the whole thing. Found the key buried in some rubble up on the surface.
So inside is this immaculate vault, practically looks like a high class hotel, with rows and rows of ceiling high shelves. Looked like library stacks, except instead of books all the shelves were filled with little boxes. Each one had a little walnut sized crystal, exactly like the one Rafflesia showed me.

Thousands of crystallized SBCs, all asleep and waiting. We woke one up and started talking to him, he was understandably confused.
Told him the year, he asked if we knew Theodore Warden, which we don't. He says he's from year 9230, says it must be a new cycle, and then the jackass started forming a body from HM while Evelyn was holding him.
That spooked us and we ran out of the vault, locking it, but he hasted out with his new body before the door closed, called us rude, and then said 'The new world awaits.' and hasted off to explore.
Jerk. He also had, really bright orange eyes. Unnaturally so. They reminded me of Kamillas.

Anyway. Since that left SO many questions, we opened it back up, grabbed another spirit without waking it, and put it in Aphelia for safekeeping. The plan being to ask Kamilla for assistance on containment and interviewing.
Travel back here, Kamilla's busy of course so I leave a letter with a mage that's waiting for her. Letter said we found the vault, talked to a spirit, it mentioned the year, please help.
Then an hour after we get home, Kamilla herself comes knocking. Armored.
She asks for the spirit and the key, and obviously I gave them to her. Before she left she says that there's a lot of these vaults, buried all over the world. Something is wrong with the spirits inside, cause they all end up destroyed within a week. She thinks it's something to do with the Reapers, or something like them. And, if she warns the people, then they go on a rampage and destroy everything around them.

Then she tells me to be careful what secrets I let slip out, and leaves.

So yeah. Bassa Falls was a bust, but also not.

Bezel: Hm.

Evelyn: He said a new 'cycle', because the era he was in tracked time from a different point than ours, so he was probably from before the Cataclysm.

I wonder, if there was another Cataclysm before the one we know of? But that he knows about them. Every time there's a Cataclysm, it's another 'cycle', like, the world, resets?

7420-06-24 Monday

Sat May 30, 2020 2:04 am
Loose Canon

That's what I was thinking too. Cycles repeat, he wouldn't have called it a cycle if it was a one-off.
Well. Either that, or the society back then invented the term and started the cycle.

Sat May 30, 2020 2:11 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
That's what I was thinking too. Cycles repeat, he wouldn't have called it a cycle if it was a one-off.
Well. Either that, or the society back then invented the term and started the cycle.

Bezel: So, what causes the cataclysms?
7420-06-24 Monday

Sat May 30, 2020 5:07 am
Loose Canon

That's the big question isn't it...
If there was enough notice to prepare vaults then they had to have known about it ahead of time. And enough reason to hide in them preemptively, nothing they could stop.
So either it was within their control and they didn't have to worry, or it was obvious but unstoppable, and also is cyclical. Unstoppable, but also not dangerous enough to threaten the vaults, and not dangerous enough to permanently destroy the world outside.

He mentioned Theodore Warden, like whoever came to wake up the vault dwellers should have known him. A leader or architect of the vault plan maybe? Someone chosen to stay awake and wake up the vaults once the world settled down?
Maybe he fell prey to whatever kills the dwellers too. Would have to be something unexpected to take down the mastermind of a plan like this, especially when they have magic like they did. Though reapers are, relatively new in the grand scale of things. I think.

Sat May 30, 2020 5:19 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
That's the big question isn't it...
If there was enough notice to prepare vaults then they had to have known about it ahead of time. And enough reason to hide in them preemptively, nothing they could stop.
So either it was within their control and they didn't have to worry, or it was obvious but unstoppable, and also is cyclical. Unstoppable, but also not dangerous enough to threaten the vaults, and not dangerous enough to permanently destroy the world outside.

He mentioned Theodore Warden, like whoever came to wake up the vault dwellers should have known him. A leader or architect of the vault plan maybe? Someone chosen to stay awake and wake up the vaults once the world settled down?
Maybe he fell prey to whatever kills the dwellers too. Would have to be something unexpected to take down the mastermind of a plan like this, especially when they have magic like they did. Though reapers are, relatively new in the grand scale of things. I think.

Bezel: If the history books are to be believed, reapers were created after the spirit-trap global spell, to stop the self-replicating artifact trick.

It's possible they've existed for longer, but were only then, 'configured', to do monitor that.

Evelyn: It's possible that the vault people couldn't control the catacylsm, and couldn't predict it either. The people in the vault could've gone in as soon as the vault was ready, and they were just kept there as part of a contingency plan?
7420-06-24 Monday

Sat May 30, 2020 5:30 am
Loose Canon

Hm. That could be. I guess it's less crazy if you're going to be hibernating that whole time.
Hm. Knowing the cataclysm is coming, but not the exact time. What the heck could that even be? Global consequences, recurring, not total annihilation, can be seen coming but not precisely, unstoppable...
It's hard to know what kind of magic they had access to back then, but it must've been pretty good stuff if they could make space barrier vaults and crystallize SBCs. So, what couldn't they handle? A super space octopus from the Alternate that feasts on Earth's souls every ten thousand years?

Sat May 30, 2020 5:48 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
Hm. That could be. I guess it's less crazy if you're going to be hibernating that whole time.
Hm. Knowing the cataclysm is coming, but not the exact time. What the heck could that even be? Global consequences, recurring, not total annihilation, can be seen coming but not precisely, unstoppable...
It's hard to know what kind of magic they had access to back then, but it must've been pretty good stuff if they could make space barrier vaults and crystallize SBCs. So, what couldn't they handle? A super space octopus from the Alternate that feasts on Earth's souls every ten thousand years?

Bezel: A big firestorm that engulfs the entire world? Lasts for days, weeks, months? Seems worth sleeping through.

Evelyn: The Corruption? Maybe the one we know was less severe than ones in the past?

Saint Ardour was around at the time, and mentioned the corruption, right?

Wait. Rafflesia said Saint Ardour was 'Fire and Wind'. The Cataclysm is said to be the world being bathed in fire.

Was Rafflesia being literal?

7420-06-24 Monday

Sat May 30, 2020 6:03 am
Loose Canon

Huh. "Saint Ardour is Fire, and Wind. Red is Earth, and Water. When the great southern Queen returns, Earth and Water, will fail. Fire, and Wind, will prevail."
Maaaaaybe? Unless she means seawalls and firefighting for Red, it feels like she's pointing towards the curses and blessings. If she's being literal then she's sure being metaphorical with it.

...Wait. When the great southern Queen returns. I thought that was returning from the Daeli driving the witches and leviathans out... but, what if it's in reference to the cycle?
That one feels like a stretch.

Saint Ardour, the way she was talking in the story sounded a lot like the Corruption was a consequence of humanity's actions. More than just an accident, like an inevitability if they didn't change something. Some creation that played with forces they didn't understand, and was headed towards a tipping point.
If the cataclysms are Corruptions, and they were caused by peoples' actions, then that's definitely something past cycles could have prevented... There's more to it than just that.
Also, the Corruption either made or released core beasts. If so, then where are the ones from after the Cataclysm? Or the Corruption zone around it? Hell, wouldn't there be a lot of Corruption zones?

Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
Huh. "Saint Ardour is Fire, and Wind. Red is Earth, and Water. When the great southern Queen returns, Earth and Water, will fail. Fire, and Wind, will prevail."
Maaaaaybe? Unless she means seawalls and firefighting for Red, it feels like she's pointing towards the curses and blessings. If she's being literal then she's sure being metaphorical with it.

...Wait. When the great southern Queen returns. I thought that was returning from the Daeli driving the witches and leviathans out... but, what if it's in reference to the cycle?
That one feels like a stretch.

Saint Ardour, the way she was talking in the story sounded a lot like the Corruption was a consequence of humanity's actions. More than just an accident, like an inevitability if they didn't change something. Some creation that played with forces they didn't understand, and was headed towards a tipping point.
If the cataclysms are Corruptions, and they were caused by peoples' actions, then that's definitely something past cycles could have prevented... There's more to it than just that.
Also, the Corruption either made or released core beasts. If so, then where are the ones from after the Cataclysm? Or the Corruption zone around it? Hell, wouldn't there be a lot of Corruption zones?

Evelyn: Maybe old Corruption zones go away after new ones are created? I don't know.

Past cycles could've prevented the Corruption, but we clearly seemed to have failed that in our cycle. People were put into the vault in the event that they
couldn't stop it?

But that still doesn't explain the fiery Cataclysm, and the Corruption wasn't enough to 'reset' the world in the same manner that the Cataclysm did.

Bezel: Seems like we're missing a few important pieces.
7420-06-24 Monday

Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 710, 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716 ... 718  Next