View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 11239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730 ... 750  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah. At minimum if we do split up, keep a telepath in each group. But, caution has always served us well, so let's stick with that.
Records office first, I think. I'd like to know more hard facts about the Haas."

~

Your team arrives at the city's official archives, and only manage to make it into the lobby until you're stopped by security doors all over the place.

The help desk is the only place that seems staffed, so you head on over there to speak with the woman.

Woman: "Can I help you?"
7420-06-27 Thursday

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:38 am
Loose Canon

"Hi! I'm a history and archaeology student from Castellum II, we're working on a report for regional history in places around Vellum, right now covering Bordello. I was looking for more info on important figures and families in the city's past. I've heard the Haas have been a pillar in particular?"

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:53 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hi! I'm a history and archaeology student from Castellum II, we're working on a report for regional history in places around Vellum, right now covering Bordello. I was looking for more info on important figures and families in the city's past. I've heard the Haas have been a pillar in particular?"

Woman: "Yeah, they founded Bordello more or less.

This place isn't the place for a history lesson though. You been to the town museum already?"

Nope.

Woman: "It's a green building in the south east end of the city, in the shopping district, between a liquor store and a pawn shop. Everyone calls it the Green House. Supposedly the first ladylike house in the city, converted into a museum."

[To the Green House!]
[Other]
7420-06-27 Thursday

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 am

"Greenhouse". With my luck it's Rafflesia's place.

>TO THE GREEN HOUSE

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:03 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Greenhouse". With my luck it's Rafflesia's place.

>TO THE GREEN HOUSE

~

A quick truck ride later, and you're in front of the building.

Connected to a pawn shop on one side and liquor store on the other, the distinctive green-painted brick building is easy to see even from down the block. A sign inside showing through the bay window reads "Museum of Bordello".

While it seems a bit excessive for the entire team to go in at once, you do so anyways - no point leaving someone behind to get targeted by a shady figure.

The rooms of the museum's lower level have a multitude of display boards featuring photographs, text blurbs, and newspaper clippings.

An old man is seated at a table by the entrance, smiling at the appearance of visitors.

Old Man: "Welcome. Feel free to look around."

On his table is a neat stack of thin paperback books, with the title "The History of Bordello".
7420-06-27 Thursday

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:14 am

>Look around! Let's see the exhibits before we ask him for details. Get a guidebook too if possible.

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:45 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Look around! Let's see the exhibits before we ask him for details. Get a guidebook too if possible.

Walking over the books, you see that they're not guidebooks so much as all of the text and images on display condensed into a small history book. Ten argent each.

Oliver hands a bill to the old man who thanks him, and Evelyn grabs one of the books and starts flipping through.

You start with the first display, which is simply a large posterboard with dialogue describing a condition, the Attraction Aura, that appeared some time between the 6700s to the 6900s. It was an effect that couldn't be controlled by someone who possessed it, and through telepathy, influenced the mines of anyone in the aura to find the subject attractive.

The number of people with the Attraction Aura saw a large spike in growth, as those who had it were highly likely to have children and pass it on, and those children would grow up and pass it on as well.

The next display has a large number of newspaper clippings of rape incidents in the early 7000s, many of the listed victims being involved in multiple cases.

A more severe form of the effect had appeared, the Lust Aura. People within range of the Aura had irresistible lust for the subject, and rapes were a frequent occurrence for those who were unfortunate enough to be born with the aura.

Moving on, the next display is about a man who was immune to the effects of the auras, Henry Haas. A man born with a weak version of the Attraction Aura granted him his immunity, and he worked to find every person afflicted with the Attraction and Lust Auras and bring them to the town of Arlos, where they could live in safety away from "normal" people and mostly interact with others who had Auras, as they couldn't affect each other.

Several of the women with Auras exploited their ability to become successful sex workers, and Arlos soon became known as the Bordello as that line of work exploded in the town, attracting all manners of money and businesses, eventually growing it into the place it is today.

Henry Haas married a woman who possessed an Aura, and their descendants mastered control over it and were able to suppress its effects and call it at will, and eventually the family became the effective ruling party of Bordello due to being in the right places at the right time early in its history.

Evelyn: "Huh."
7420-06-27 Thursday

Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:59 am

”Attraction and lust powers, huh.”

>Glance at Evelyn.

“A few things make a lot more sense now.”

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Interesting. That would explain a lot yeah.
Makes it easy to marry into whatever family you want, too. I wonder how it's evolved since then."

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Interesting. That would explain a lot yeah.
Makes it easy to marry into whatever family you want, too. I wonder how it's evolved since then."

Evelyn: "The bracelet that Kamilla has, and the ones that her special team have, I wonder if those are common here."
7420-06-27 Thursday

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:10 pm
Loose Canon

"I bet they're pretty varied if a lot of people have auras. Probably a whole mini-industry around them."

Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:29 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"I bet they're pretty varied if a lot of people have auras. Probably a whole mini-industry around them."

Evelyn: "I wonder if they incidentally provide any telepathy protection, some side effect from how they work. Might be worth getting a few."
7420-06-27 Thursday

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:22 pm
Loose Canon

"Definitely worth a test. I'd kill to not have to worry about that. Or a bit less, at least.
Do you know how they work, or is it just an educated guess that it'll protect?"

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:33 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Definitely worth a test. I'd kill to not have to worry about that. Or a bit less, at least.
Do you know how they work, or is it just an educated guess that it'll protect?"

Evelyn: "A guess. I think they create an alterian barrier around the spirit, blocking off auras from leaking out. That should also mean they prevent things from getting in, right?"
7420-06-27 Thursday

Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:38 pm
Loose Canon

"Mmmaybe? Maybe. Though, Kamilla's broke when she used magic. I don't think anyone here is comparable, but probably neither are their constructs.
They might just be made strong enough to prevent errant contact between an Aura spirit and an outsider spirit. Like a wrapper instead of a barrier. Or, pfff, a prophylactic.
I'd also be a bit surprised if telepathy constructs that actually could protect you were that easy to acquire. Still, it's worth a look."

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730 ... 750  Next