View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 770  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Pfhah, wow. Be very confused mostly, probably steal and hide it.
I like to think I have a bit more to offer than an admittedly fantastic pillow does."

She clasps her hands behind her back.

Isla: "You certainly do.

Though, if you ever find yourself in that situation, remember that you have friends you can turn to for support."

She leans forward, bringing her face closer to yours, now smiling sweetly.

Isla: "Like me."

Standing back, she watches your expression for a brief moment before smoothly turning and walking out of the office.

[Time skip]
[Other]
7420-07-01 Monday

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:23 am
Loose Canon

> Bruh.
Well.
Have a sandwich I guess.

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:39 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Bruh.
Well.
Have a sandwich I guess.

You dig in - the sandwich is certainly good!

~

With work over, you head over to the Aldente restaurant. Probably a good idea to pick up something for Bezel, considering her eating habits.

Stepping inside, you see the Claire-like is already seated at one of the tables and working on a plate of pasta. Noticing your entrance, she waves to you, cheery as always.
7420-07-01 Monday

Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:51 pm
Loose Canon

> Head over.
"Is this your normal routine, or am I that predictable?"

Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Head over.
"Is this your normal routine, or am I that predictable?"

Aldente: "One of those makes me sound much more menacing than the other, let's go with that one."
7420-07-01 Monday

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:07 am
Loose Canon

"Very menacing routine.
Not that I can talk, I think I've just worked it into my routine to come visit every time I come back to Darson.
So, what's been happening? Find anything fun with the guerrillas?"

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Very menacing routine.
Not that I can talk, I think I've just worked it into my routine to come visit every time I come back to Darson.
So, what's been happening? Find anything fun with the guerrillas?"

Aldente: "Mm, you could say that. Their ability to survive without a spirit - while I haven't been able to discover what enables them to do so, I have done some experimentation on rodents.

The classic experiment that demonstrates 'death by ambient magic' - raise spiritless mice in an environment perfectly insulated from magic. Remove them from the insulated environment, and they shortly die from medical complications appearing out of nowhere.

I took the experiment a few steps further.

Remove the spiritless mice from the insulated environment, but keep them continuously bombarded by high levels of corruption. They survive as long as the corruption is maintained. Remove it, and they die.

Here's the fun part.

I collect a volume of ordinary outside air, and introduce it into one of the insulated environments, and the mice die. I was not able to detect any degree of magic in the captured air.

Do the same thing again, but blast the captured air with corruption. The mice are fine.

There is definitely an element of magic resulting in spiritless creatures dying, but the scale it operates on is too small to detect, but can be destroyed with corruption, and it has a physical presence that allows it to be moved by physical means.

I suspect there are ordinary animals that lived in high-intensity corruption zones for so long that they lost the ability to form a spirit. If these creatures leave corruption zones, they die.

These monkeys might have originally been a corruption-zone creature that somehow developed the ability to survive the ambient magic. "

She pauses to take a sip of water, remaining silent afterward for a moment.

Aldente: "They are, biologically incompatible with existing flesh and blood creatures that I know of. Their transplanted flesh and organs cannot survive inside other creatures, and no common animals have organs that can survive inside the monkeys.

They also resist my ability to alter them."

7420-07-01 Monday

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:54 am
Loose Canon

"Fascinating...
Like some kind of airborne, half-magic disease, or magically active bacteria... It almost sounds like vaporized bits of bio magic, if something like that were actually possible, activating and causing changes on whatever people they touch. Or, some kind of strange nega-reapers, meant to wipe out non-magical things.

Hm. You said the monkeys biology was incompatible with any other creatures you could find. Maybe that's why the airborne, thing, doesn't affect them. Not some kind of defense, but because it works precisely and the monkeys are so alien to it that they can't do any of their work.
Might explain why plants aren't affected either.

Odd... what is its purpose or goal? Is it infectious? If it's alive, it must be very hardy, a disease only survives by spreading and I don't think there are many vectors left to spread to in the world, yet it's everywhere... Is something producing it still, or is the atmosphere just chock full of it and it doesn't die or degrade?
Gosh, what a thing you've stumbled upon.

The Whitehawk must have figured this out by now."

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:18 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Fascinating...
Like some kind of airborne, half-magic disease, or magically active bacteria... It almost sounds like vaporized bits of bio magic, if something like that were actually possible, activating and causing changes on whatever people they touch. Or, some kind of strange nega-reapers, meant to wipe out non-magical things.

Hm. You said the monkeys biology was incompatible with any other creatures you could find. Maybe that's why the airborne, thing, doesn't affect them. Not some kind of defense, but because it works precisely and the monkeys are so alien to it that they can't do any of their work.
Might explain why plants aren't affected either.

Odd... what is its purpose or goal? Is it infectious? If it's alive, it must be very hardy, a disease only survives by spreading and I don't think there are many vectors left to spread to in the world, yet it's everywhere... Is something producing it still, or is the atmosphere just chock full of it and it doesn't die or degrade?
Gosh, what a thing you've stumbled upon.

The Whitehawk must have figured this out by now."

Aldente: "I've no doubt they have. The fact that they don't make it public means they don't want anyone else to know, so do try to keep quiet about it.

How have your own adventures been going? Uncovering more secrets on your side?"

7420-07-01 Monday

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 am
Loose Canon

"Haaaooo boy. Well, found a lot of trouble and a nice souvenir in Bordello.
Long story short, the local ruling family has spirits similar to Evelyn. Descended from a line of people with attraction and lust auras, over time they learned to control and suppress it.
We uh, tried to bargain with them, that went sorta off the rails. One of the younger less clever ones, Delilah, thought that we'd be a great way to get her down to Siana, away from her family. Tried to wheel and deal us into helping, but we didn't bite as hard as she'd like.
So, then she thought 'Hey I've got an idea, let's kidnap one of them with my love powers and have them help me'. Well she did that to Evelyn, causing us to call in Ingret. Then Evelyn tells Delilah that she could get down to Siana if she told Ingret she was a schal.
Hah.

So we end up with Delilah in an HM coffin, I bully her a bit for info, we get Evelyn back from a hotel room, and all in all no harm done, just a lot of hassle.
The fun part is what Delilah did on accident. You remember horizontal magic transfer, and how it can happen with people who are extremely close? Well, turns out it works even if the affection is one sided, or artificially induced.

So Evelyn accidentally picked up a new lovey dovey trick up North."

Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:04 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Haaaooo boy. Well, found a lot of trouble and a nice souvenir in Bordello.
Long story short, the local ruling family has spirits similar to Evelyn. Descended from a line of people with attraction and lust auras, over time they learned to control and suppress it.
We uh, tried to bargain with them, that went sorta off the rails. One of the younger less clever ones, Delilah, thought that we'd be a great way to get her down to Siana, away from her family. Tried to wheel and deal us into helping, but we didn't bite as hard as she'd like.
So, then she thought 'Hey I've got an idea, let's kidnap one of them with my love powers and have them help me'. Well she did that to Evelyn, causing us to call in Ingret. Then Evelyn tells Delilah that she could get down to Siana if she told Ingret she was a schal.
Hah.

So we end up with Delilah in an HM coffin, I bully her a bit for info, we get Evelyn back from a hotel room, and all in all no harm done, just a lot of hassle.
The fun part is what Delilah did on accident. You remember horizontal magic transfer, and how it can happen with people who are extremely close? Well, turns out it works even if the affection is one sided, or artificially induced.

So Evelyn accidentally picked up a new lovey dovey trick up North."

Aldente: "Well now, that's quite an interesting outcome. I suppose she'll be experimenting with her new powers for a bit? Moving magic abilities around?"
7420-07-01 Monday

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:00 am
Loose Canon

"Yeah. Was hoping you might be able to help with uhhhhh, ethical test subjects.
We need to solve several problems before it's really usable, such as the target being stuck in love."

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:08 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah. Was hoping you might be able to help with uhhhhh, ethical test subjects.
We need to solve several problems before it's really usable, such as the target being stuck in love."

Aldente: "All of my potential test subjects are SBCs in storage. I don't know how Evelyn would feel dealing with flesh beans, so I would have to grow bodies for them."
7420-07-01 Monday

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:27 am
Loose Canon

"Indeed... how long would that take?
Stray animals might work too, for the 'reverse the love potion effects' portion of testing at least."

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:28 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Indeed... how long would that take?
Stray animals might work too, for the 'reverse the love potion effects' portion of testing at least."

Aldente: "Three or four days to grow a body. Depending on the resources available, I might be able to get it done sooner.

Stuffing them inside an animal body... Technically possible I suppose."

7420-07-01 Monday

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 11543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 748, 749, 750, 751, 752, 753, 754 ... 770  Next