View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 8519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 568  Next
 World Reader 
Loose Canon

Post Re: World Reader
> Well we ARE surrounded by rotting witch corpses. Bound to be at least small amounts of corruption. Could be good training though. And hey, we can use that instead of a real detector!

Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 am
Profile WWW

>Wait. Claire managed to do LIGHTNING BOLT in this same room. Maybe the coin could be deteriorating from the corruption? Better store it outside.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:01 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

> Actually, better question. Is anything suddenly decaying faster or letting off MORE corruption?
"Hey, uh, Bezel? Does it feel more corruption-y in here today?"

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Actually, better question. Is anything suddenly decaying faster or letting off MORE corruption?
"Hey, uh, Bezel? Does it feel more corruption-y in here today?"

Bezel: "Not really. Why?"

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:56 am

"Coin seems to be... Malfunctioning, I guess? Can't cast nearly as well as yesterday. I thought it could be interference from the witch parts."

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:58 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Coin seems to be... Malfunctioning, I guess? Can't cast nearly as well as yesterday. I thought it could be interference from the witch parts."

Bezel: "Let me see it."

You hand her the coin.

Bezel: "Doesn't seem any different."

Bezel holds her hand in front of her, palm up, and a blinding amount of light appears, followed by a gust of hot air. The spell ends a second later, leaving your skin and clothes slightly warmer than before.

Bezel: "Feels the same to me."

Claire: "You're probably just not used to casting near corruption, Ralph."

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 am

"...I see."

>I will not be deterred! Keep practicing my casts, until I can keep the light going unwaveringly.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:21 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"...I see."

>I will not be deterred! Keep practicing my casts, until I can keep the light going unwaveringly.

Bezel hands the coin back to you and you practice your light casting.

Flickering, dim light casts, over and over, and you feel like your connection between the light and you is fuzzy. You go at it for a long while, not making much progress.

~

Claire: "Almost noon, time for the meeting."

Bezel: "Lead the way."

It's a short walk to the military base. After walking through a couple of locked gates, past several guards, and into the fort, you reach an office with a tall, burly, uniformed man sitting behind the desk. The nameplate facing you conveniently identifies the man as General Allan Renalds.

Claire: "Afternoon General!"

General: "Afternoon, Ms. Taxi. How is your research going?"

Claire: "It's goiiinnng welll, that's what we're here to ask you about, actually!"

General: "Another trip south?"

Claire: "Yup! We need to measure the time it takes for witches to start emitting corruption after they decompress, mainly queen witches, so it's more dangerous than the last requests."

General: "A lot more dangerous, yes. How do you plan on measuring corruption from a safe distance?"

Claire: "Bezel here -"

She gestures to the blonde.

Claire: "- is a constructor working for UC who will build the long-range sensors for us. With the information, we intend to harvest the infant cores from a queen for research, which is what she and Ralph Mebbit -"

She gestures to you.

"- an archaeologist also working for UC, need for their own work."

General: "What exactly does UC need a witch core for?"

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 am

>Look him in the eye, speak very clearly and confidently. Jarheads like that, right?

"General, we intend to study the space compression systems employed by the witches. It is UC's belief that in them lies the key to developing the next generation of storage and communication technologies. The military would certainly also benefit from a better understanding of the inner workings of a core."

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"We believe their specific brand of space compression magic could be used for a few research projects, most notably long range communication. The broken pieces of cores aren't enough to learn what we need from them, so we're trying to get a more intact, if still small, core."

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:47 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"We believe their specific brand of space compression magic could be used for a few research projects, most notably long range communication. The broken pieces of cores aren't enough to learn what we need from them, so we're trying to get a more intact, if still small, core."

General: "Interesting. Do you have a plan at the moment on how you're going to retrieve an infant core from a queen?"

Bezel seems to purposefully remain silent.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 am
Loose Canon

"Some... ideas. It depends heavily on what we learn about their corruption delay, and possibly some specifics of what a downed bird-witch does with its infants witchlings.
Until we know more about them, it's hard to formulate a plan."

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:25 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Some... ideas. It depends heavily on what we learn about their corruption delay, and possibly some specifics of what a downed bird-witch does with its infants witchlings.
Until we know more about them, it's hard to formulate a plan."

General: "Understandable.

We're fighting back the witches non-stop, so don't feel rushed. Just make sure those sensors are very long ranged, we're not getting you close and risking lives in the name of science."

Bezel: "I'll make sure the sensors are as long-ranged as possible."

General: "Good. How much data do you need?"

Claire: "Enough measurements of different tiers of witches to get a reliable estimate on when they start emitting corruption.

We'll also need to measure queens, too."

General: "Hrmph. Queens, those are fun ones. Even if your sensors can spot things at artillery range you'll still be in danger. We'll see how well the initial bird-watches go before I let you go see a queen.
Do you have a particular date in mind to start? A deadline you need your research done by?"

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 am
Loose Canon

"We're here in Meglunda for the core, so we can start as soon as you are ready. As for a deadline, we're already assuming this will stretch into a uncertain length several month task. There's no strict deadline, so long as we're making progress."

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:20 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"We're here in Meglunda for the core, so we can start as soon as you are ready. As for a deadline, we're already assuming this will stretch into a uncertain length several month task. There's no strict deadline, so long as we're making progress."

General: "The 23rd Armored Battalion departs on Monday, zero-five hundred."

Today is... Thursday? Thursday.

General: "If you want to join them, we can make arrangements."

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 568  Next