View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 437  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Well, morality is the concept of things and actions being 'right' and 'wrong', and 'good' and 'bad' behavior. Like I said, stealing is generally wrong. So is killing, or hurting other people, or letting people suffer, doing things you know would lead to any of those, along those lines. Whereas right is helping people who are in trouble, giving to those in need, being kind and that sort of thing. Generally, society hopes and expects everyone to be moral, be good to each other, and do the right thing. If everyone was bad to each other, they'd just be stealing and fighting and killing all the time, and then everyone is hurt and no one feels safe, and everyone's unhappy.

So anyway, shades of grey. That's a phrase that means something isn't clear whether it's white, right, or black, wrong. It's a bit of both, so, grey. It, can apply to a LOT of things in life, and morality.
Like, stealing constructs from bandits. On one hand, if we do, we'll be stealing from people, which is wrong. But, at the same time, we'd be stopping the bandits from hurting other people, which is right. It's a mix of right AND wrong.
So, now the question is, is the 'right' bigger than the 'wrong'? Does the good we can accomplish with our action outweigh the bad? And that's probably the biggest part of morality, thinking about these 'shades of grey' situations, and trying to figure out whether or not the good outweighs the bad in what you're thinking of doing.

I think that, if the bandits are stealing from innocent people, the good from stopping them outweighs the bad from stealing from them. It doesn't ERASE the bad, and we still need to be careful about the consequences of our actions, but even with that in mind it's an action worth taking, in my eyes."

Ingret: "Oh, I think Bezel talked to me about that.

Don't be mean. If someone is being mean, try to get them to stop without being mean back. If you can't, then be mean to them until they stop being mean.

She said the important part is trying to make them stop without being mean first, so maybe we should ask the bandits to stop before we steal from them. That way, they'll stop being mean and we didn't have to be mean, too."

7419-12-03 Wednesday

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 am
Loose Canon

"Haha, I suppose that about sums it up! Leave it to Bezel to cut right to the chase with her lessons.
Yeah, I agree with her. I think the more you grow, the more you'll think about it, and the more you'll get your own sense of morality. But, that's a pretty good seed to grow from.

As for the bandits... Yes, that would be best. I, doubt they will. I doubt they would be resorting to stealing unless they didn't have a better option. No good way to get their own food, or money, or things they need, in a good way.
But, if we don't even TRY... well, I suppose that's no good either.
Though I am worried about them just attacking you or me or Bezel without even stopping to talk. That's my main worry to be honest."

Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Haha, I suppose that about sums it up! Leave it to Bezel to cut right to the chase with her lessons.
Yeah, I agree with her. I think the more you grow, the more you'll think about it, and the more you'll get your own sense of morality. But, that's a pretty good seed to grow from.

As for the bandits... Yes, that would be best. I, doubt they will. I doubt they would be resorting to stealing unless they didn't have a better option. No good way to get their own food, or money, or things they need, in a good way.
But, if we don't even TRY... well, I suppose that's no good either.
Though I am worried about them just attacking you or me or Bezel without even stopping to talk. That's my main worry to be honest."

Ingret: "Hm.

What if we could talk to them with a radio?"

7419-12-03 Wednesday

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 am
Loose Canon

"....
Hm.
That, might work."

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"....
Hm.
That, might work."

Ingret: "So, when are we going?"
7419-12-03 Wednesday

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:18 am
Loose Canon

"Well we need to talk to Bezel about it first. We can do that today.
If we do decide to look into this, then probably not until we leave Raena tomorrow."

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:06 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Well we need to talk to Bezel about it first. We can do that today.
If we do decide to look into this, then probably not until we leave Raena tomorrow."

Ingret: "Okay."

Ingret stares at you for a few more seconds before grabbing the doorknob with her beak and carefully closes the door. It sounds like she shuffles around a bit in her room before settling down.

[Timeskip! (Wait for Bezel to return)]
[Other]
7419-12-03 Wednesday

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:33 am
Loose Canon

> Bezel went to look around town. It's not a bad idea, might as well while we're here.

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:37 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Bezel went to look around town. It's not a bad idea, might as well while we're here.

You leave the building and walk around town. It's pretty hot, but people are up and about, doing chores or chatting.

After a bit of walking around, you find Bezel among a group of women, demonstrating some sort of construct loom. The women seem to be captivated by the machine as it mechanically weaves sheets of fabric, sourcing threads from a large number of unwinding spools.

Bezel eventually notices your presence and waves.

7419-12-03 Wednesday

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 am

>Wave back, approach.

"Hiya Bezel! Sharing your inventions, I see."

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:29 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Wave back, approach.

"Hiya Bezel! Sharing your inventions, I see."

You approach the crowd, all of the women still riveted by the autonomous production of fabric.

Bezel: "Invention implies some degree of originality.

Have a nice bath?"

7419-12-03 Wednesday

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:45 am
Loose Canon

"Was nice for a bit.
Got something we might want to look into, when you're done spellbinding these ladies."

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Was nice for a bit.
Got something we might want to look into, when you're done spellbinding these ladies."

Bezel: "Alright, gimme a few few more minutes."

Bezel takes a little more time to explain the operation of the machine to the women before leaving them and walking over to you.

Bezel: "What's up?"
7419-12-03 Wednesday

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:36 pm
Loose Canon

"So while I was in the bath, someone named Boren came in and started chatting. Asked if I was interested in military constructs. Said that there were some groups of bandits nearby that had gotten ahold of some military constructs, and they're still arguing about who and how to use them. Mentioned Raena has been trying to play a more active role in dealing with bandit attacks, and if we "were interested", he could share the locations of them.
Sounds a lot like he wants us to play special forces for Raena."

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:25 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"So while I was in the bath, someone named Boren came in and started chatting. Asked if I was interested in military constructs. Said that there were some groups of bandits nearby that had gotten ahold of some military constructs, and they're still arguing about who and how to use them. Mentioned Raena has been trying to play a more active role in dealing with bandit attacks, and if we "were interested", he could share the locations of them.
Sounds a lot like he wants us to play special forces for Raena."

Bezel: "Sounds like he's worried about the constructs being used against Raena, and wants us to fix that."
7419-12-03 Wednesday

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323 ... 437  Next