View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 6789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418 ... 453  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
>Smile!

"Surprisingly well, considering it was the new team's first foray into our line of work. No core beast-related surprises, either.

I'll have a full report ready soon, but I wanted to talk to you beforehand. This time, we actually found a solid lead for the main project. Dion - Raena's priestess, who we mentioned in the last report - she is actually using spirit magic to transport substancial amounts of mana over very long distances. It's loaded into a sort of, artificial carrier, an arcane entity that Evelyn could detect and track, then launched towards its destination.

Now - it's not as fast as we'd hoped, Ingret was able to follow it without much trouble. However, it certainly has both range and high capacity, and is able to pass unhindered through warzones and witchlands alike. I imagine it'd be possible to use it to transmit information as well, perhaps by using telepathy on the spirit itself, or encoding letters with the amount of mana sent.

We confronted Dion about it, but she - predictably - was unwilling to part with her knowledge for free. Apparently the townsfolk believe she's using some sort of, divine power, to send the mana straight to their saint, and she'd be in considerable trouble if they found out it was just magic, especially if it's of Daeli origin.

The thing she wanted to trade for, is mana. Significant amounts of mana per day, equivalent to at least ten of the regenerating stones we extracted from the witch cores. She seems to be sending her town's mana to a constructor on the southernmost island, operating out of the Daeli fort, who's using it to repair the old seawalls. She says the reason the laserbirds are moving North is because their current territory is being ravaged by great waves and floods, and securing the coastline could reduce their need to expand towards our cities.

Now - That seems like a worthy goal, but it's still a very significant amount of resources, and possibly firepower. I'm coming to you first so you'll have time to think it over as well. We're thinking of assembling an expedition to the island first, to talk with this constructor firsthand and confirm their motives."

Liam: "Hm. This sounds like a good deal, if we can confirm the mana is being used appropriately.

We have quite the supply of regenerating stones at the moment, but there are also plenty of companies willing to pay up for as many as they can get their hands on.

Information on our project is more important, though.

How long would the trip south take? Are you going to be running into trouble with the other laserbirds? Meglunda's army?"

7419-12-27 Monday

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 am

"That's part of the problem, yes. I'm not sure the military would be too happy to see a witch flying overhead, and Ingret looks unique enough that the other laserbirds might take offence to her presence. We'd like to avoid conflict as much as possible, so we're currently looking at other routes.

She's confident enough about moving underwater, so we might end up following the coast down. Considering it's a bit closer than Raena, and flying there took the best part of a day... I'd imagine, probably a week for the round trip. Not counting however long we spend at the island, of course."

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Tentative travel plan is, by sea. Underwater. Ingret says she can manage, and I think we need a dry run first, no pun intended, but assuming we stick to the coasts we should be able to avoid most army scrutiny, and any deep sea beasts.
The laserbirds might notice us though. They can sense other witches, and probably tell that Ingret isn't a normal queen. Hm... I'll ask her what she thinks about that. Worst case, we can go further out to avoid any birds, and go back in towards shore when it's safe.

Time, not sure. Never traveled by water with Ingret before, travel time is an unknown. I doubt talking to the people down at the walls will take more than a couple days though."

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Tentative travel plan is, by sea. Underwater. Ingret says she can manage, and I think we need a dry run first, no pun intended, but assuming we stick to the coasts we should be able to avoid most army scrutiny, and any deep sea beasts.
The laserbirds might notice us though. They can sense other witches, and probably tell that Ingret isn't a normal queen. Hm... I'll ask her what she thinks about that. Worst case, we can go further out to avoid any birds, and go back in towards shore when it's safe.

Time, not sure. Never traveled by water with Ingret before, travel time is an unknown. I doubt talking to the people down at the walls will take more than a couple days though."

Liam: "Alright.

Let me know if you're conducting swimming tests with Ingret, so we can notify the port authorities."

7419-12-27 Monday

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:42 am

"Certainly. In fact, I'll go talk with Claire about it right now. We'll notify you as soon as we have decided on our next move.

>Bid farewell, head over to the warehouse. Let's see what Ingret and Claire's opinions on the matter are!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Certainly. In fact, I'll go talk with Claire about it right now. We'll notify you as soon as we have decided on our next move.

>Bid farewell, head over to the warehouse. Let's see what Ingret and Claire's opinions on the matter are!

Leaving Liam's office, you head over to the warehouse.

Inside, Claire is working on part experimentation as usual, while Ingret sits on her giant cushion and Pillow explores the array of witch core parts neatly laid on large white sheets on the floor.

Ingret: "Hey Ralph."

Claire: "Morning Ralph."
7419-12-27 Monday

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:13 am

"Hello all! Ingret, Claire, Pillow. How're you doing?

I was hoping we could discuss our voyage to the South. Specifically, the seabound parts of it. Ingret, you said you could swim. Are you good at diving, as well?"

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Hey all. Just the people I needed to see.
Just talked to Liam about the voyage down south. Had some questions for you Ingret, and probably you'll have input too Claire.
So, you said you could swim. We'd have to be out swimming by laserbird territory, or out in deep dangerous water. Could they, sense your core? And, be aggressive?"

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hey all. Just the people I needed to see.
Just talked to Liam about the voyage down south. Had some questions for you Ingret, and probably you'll have input too Claire.
So, you said you could swim. We'd have to be out swimming by laserbird territory, or out in deep dangerous water. Could they, sense your core? And, be aggressive?"

Ingret: "They can sense me out to maybe ten miles. Lasers don't work underwater, so I should be safe underwater."
7419-12-27 Monday

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:52 am
Loose Canon

"Would they actually, chase out after you TO laser you?
Also Claire, do you know if there are any beasties in the water out there?"

Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:58 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Would they actually, chase out after you TO laser you?
Also Claire, do you know if there are any beasties in the water out there?"

Ingret: "I don't know."

Claire: "I know there are sea drakes, weeds, and gulpers, as far as core beasts go. Only the sea drakes are dangerous, except probably not to Ingret."
7419-12-27 Monday

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:14 am

"Heh. She's dealt with emerald dragons before, I don't think drakes will be too much trouble. I'm still a bit worried about running into some sort of swimming leviathan as we approach the island, though. Hopefully they won't come too close to the coast.

...What are weeds, and gulpers?"

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Even without lasers and flight? Well, you are a queen after all. Even without those I bet you can give a hell of a whack.

Wait. Weeds and gulpers are core beasts? Weeds?"

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:19 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Even without lasers and flight? Well, you are a queen after all. Even without those I bet you can give a hell of a whack.

Wait. Weeds and gulpers are core beasts? Weeds?"

Claire: "Maybe not the weeds you're thinking about. They look like large turnips, with leafier leaves, floating around in the water. They don't really do anything."
7419-12-27 Monday

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:52 am

"...And they're core beasts? Huh.

I wonder if they're edible. Or, if they generate enough mana to justify trying to grow them."

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6789 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417, 418 ... 453  Next