View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465  Next
 World Reader 
Loose Canon

Post Re: World Reader
"Yup."

Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:21 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yup."

~

Your team sets up the area for the training session, out in a remote field away from Darson.

Target stands are set up in front of a large hill to serve as a backstop, and a table holds all of the new guns and ammo.

Bezel inspects the military constructs , sports casters, armor, and other construct equipment, while you hoist your oversized manticore rifle out of its case and set it on an empty table.

Oliver looks at all of the firearms with interest, while Evelyn seems more interested in the sports casters.

Valerie: "Maybe we should save the military constructs for last, in case they obliterate the targets."
7419-01-05 Thursday

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 am
Loose Canon

"Yeah, probably smart. Guns first, then sports casters, then the military constructs, so we go in ascending order of potential annihilation."

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah, probably smart. Guns first, then sports casters, then the military constructs, so we go in ascending order of potential annihilation."

Valerie: "Do you mind if I give your rifle a try?"
7419-01-05 Thursday

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 am
Loose Canon

"Sure. We should be familiar with all the guns we have in case we ever need to swap in a pinch."
> I guess I'll try out the ones Valerie picked out then. How about the Ricing carbine first, I already know how a bear rifle kicks.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Sure. We should be familiar with all the guns we have in case we ever need to swap in a pinch."
> I guess I'll try out the ones Valerie picked out then. How about the Ricing carbine first, I already know how a bear rifle kicks.

You think you see Valerie grin before you turn around and grab a pair of earmuffs, then head over to the other guns.

The Ricing carbine looks like a traditional wooden stock rifle, except shorter, and not bolt-action. Picking it up, you're immediately surprised by how light it is, almost feeling like a toy.

Taking a loaded magazine, to slot it in and -

Uh. Hm. You can't seem to find-

Evelyn: "The charging handle is under the barrel, in the slot."

Turning the rifle to the side, you see that there's a large slot in the bottom wooden foregrip, where a metal tab is visible. Pulling the tab back drives the bolt back, and releasing it chambers a round.

Taking aim at one of the targets, you pull the trigger and find it stuck.

Evelyn: "The safety is in front of the trigger guard."

Reaching your finger forward, you find a cross-bolt style switch and press it in, causing it to pop out on the other side of the trigger guard with a red ring visible.

Now ready, you aim at the target and fire a few shots - much less recoil than your monster of a rifle, making it easier to pop off a chain of shots without the world around you violently shaking.
7419-01-05 Thursday

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:22 am
Loose Canon

"Wow, this is tons better. Dylan was right, start with a cannon and everything else will feel easy."

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Wow, this is tons better. Dylan was right, start with a cannon and everything else will feel easy."

Evelyn: "Val made me shoot a bunch of giant hunting rifles to see what I could handle. They were, not fun."

Loud booms fill the air as Valerie takes shots with your rifle, and Oliver firing the bear rifles. Evelyn picks up one of the Ricings and starts practicing as well, the small carbine seeming like a perfect fit for her.
7419-01-05 Thursday

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:45 pm
Loose Canon

> Hah, poor Evelyn.
Well, this is fine for now. Shoot for a bit, switch to the bear rifles once I've got a feel for this carbine.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> Hah, poor Evelyn.
Well, this is fine for now. Shoot for a bit, switch to the bear rifles once I've got a feel for this carbine.

After firing the carbine for a few more magazines, you decide to put it down and check out the bear rifle.

A longer, but still fairly lightweight rifle, bolt-action, and a ported cylinder on the muzzle that directs excess gas upwards and sideways to reduce recoil. The cartridges used are much bigger, close to the ones out of your first rifle.

Loading a magazine in, cycling the bolt, and flipping the safety, you take aim at your target, brace, and pull the trigger.

The rifle violently shoves itself backwards into you and the muzzle rises a good foot or so, but at least it doesn't hurt. Probably more controllable than your own rifle.

Oliver: "That muzzle brake's pretty impressive. Somethin' this light normally kicks you a lot harder."
7419-01-05 Thursday

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:33 am
Loose Canon

"Yeah, this jumps like a rabbit, but the kick's not bad all considered.
...Evelyn, you might wanna stay away from my rifle."

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:36 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah, this jumps like a rabbit, but the kick's not bad all considered.
...Evelyn, you might wanna stay away from my rifle."

Evelyn: "I figured as much."

After a few more minutes of the team familiarizing themselves with the guns, everyone turns their attention to the autocasters.

Oliver: "What do these things do?"
7419-01-05 Thursday

Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:04 am
Loose Canon

"They're modular casting contracts, originally built for UEN sports and competitions. These cards are the focuses, and the glove or gun has all the rest of the casting machinery in it. They also have a telepathic user interface. They're built for sport, but they can pack a good punch, and there's a good variety of utility cards too.

Take the cards out, put one on, flip the switch, and it'll appear in your field of vision."

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"They're modular casting contracts, originally built for UEN sports and competitions. These cards are the focuses, and the glove or gun has all the rest of the casting machinery in it. They also have a telepathic user interface. They're built for sport, but they can pack a good punch, and there's a good variety of utility cards too.

Take the cards out, put one on, flip the switch, and it'll appear in your field of vision."

Your expedition team each take a caster and turn it on.

Oliver and Valerie slot in cards and start firing at the targets, launching fireballs and kinetic bolts, while Evelyn curiously looks through the full selection.

Evelyn: "What does 'Disassemble' do?"
7419-01-05 Thursday

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:34 am
Loose Canon

"Disassemble? Haven't tried that one. First guess is it unscrews screws and pops open panels, but I don't actually know. These are for sport, so I dont think it will be anything too dangerous.
Oliver, can you make a box for us to cast this on?"

Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464, 465  Next