View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 8573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 572  Next
 World Reader 
Loose Canon

Post Re: World Reader
"Darn, ok.
Next trip back to town we need to make sure to bring cameras back with us."
> TO THE LIBARY

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:55 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
> TO THE LIBARY LIBRARBY

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:55 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
TorrentHKU wrote:
> TO THE LIBARY LIBRARBY

~

Your team heads into the library, a wide one-story building with many of its windows boarded up due to the glass being broken, you assume.

It smells a bit musty inside, with holes in the ceiling showing faint sunlight that probably let enough rain in to cause damage.

Walking through the aisles, most of the books are in a sorry state - weathered, rotted, falling to pieces.

You do manage to find a newspaper archive in one area of the main floor in a series of cabinets, but they're in too fragile of a condition to move without turning into mush. Looking through the cabinets, you can faintly make out the date on what appears to be the most recent paper - something something 7393? 7398? Twenty-three or twenty-eight years ago.

Evelyn: "Shame about all these books and newspapers. So much knowledge gone."

Oliver seems to be pacing around rather strangely, looking at the floor as he makes purposeful steps on the wood some distance away.
7420-01-19 Thursday

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:23 am

”Damn right. This place seems to have had it worse than the other buildings, too. I hope some of it can be recovered.

...Oliver, something caught your attention?”

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:27 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Damn right. This place seems to have had it worse than the other buildings, too. I hope some of it can be recovered.

...Oliver, something caught your attention?”

He doesn't respond at first, stomping his foot in a few specific spots on the floor.

Oliver: "There's a basement, but I didn't see any obvious stairs."
7420-01-19 Thursday

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:29 am

”...Oh ♥♥♥♥, not again.

Let’s - let’s just hope it’s just the hidden archives or something.

Think we could maybe cut a hole in the floor?”

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:31 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”...Oh ♥♥♥♥, not again.

Let’s - let’s just hope it’s just the hidden archives or something.

Think we could maybe cut a hole in the floor?”

Oliver: "Y'got history with basements're somethin'?

Cuttin' through should be easy, just watch where you walk. Floorboards seemt've held up alright, but watch out if anything seems extra creaky."

He walks over to a wall and pulls a crowbar out of his pack, slowly working off the floorboards there and shining a light down past the support beams and into the darkness.

Oliver: "Yeah, that's a basement. Wood flooring, stone walls, doesn't look like a hackjob. Been standin' this long, I guess."

The rest of your team walk over to him, taking care to avoid parts of the floor at seem creaky, and peer down as well.

Your lights cut through the darkness, and you can see that it's a small room directly below with some old crates and bottles.
7420-01-19 Thursday

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:43 am

”...A wine cellar, maybe? Seems innocent enough, any books down there might’ve been better protected from the elements.

Could you make a ladder? I’ll try and head down.”

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:45 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

"Hm, nothing too spooky yet. Seems dry enough... maybe the things are intact."
> Lower myself in, or use a ladder.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:48 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hm, nothing too spooky yet. Seems dry enough... maybe the things are intact."
> Lower myself in, or use a ladder.

The floor doesn't seem that far below, so you carefully hold on to the edge of the hole and lower yourself to the floor, dropping a couple of feet to reach the ground. The rest of your team follows as well, sticking close to you.

The room you're in appears to be a small storage area, with crates and bottles of ancient foodstuff. Stepping through a doorway and into a hall, you look around at the other rooms - a washroom, a bedroom with a mummified person on the bed (spooky), a workshop of sorts, a dining room, and a large office or studying room, with several desks with just fountain pens sitting neatly beside an inkwell and a blank stack of old blank crinkled paper.

A series of strange wooden chests sit on one side of the wall, and Oliver goes to inspect them as you look at the central desk in the room, which has a paper with writing on it, contained and protected between two slabs of glass.

The angry masses outside remain angry, and massive, and my food and water reserves have run dry several days ago. I feel the end is coming near, so I shall record the last of my thoughts.

Greetings, Stranger! Neighbor! Adventurer!

If you are Daeli, do me a favour and go shove a pike up your hole!

You have stumbled across the forbidden collection of Eisen Hommon, passed down the Hommon family for uncountable generations. If you are a thief, a scavenger, a burglar, I pray that you sell these items to a historian or other agent of preserving knowledge, they will surely pay you well for your efforts.

If you yourself are a historian or agent of preserving knowledge, then you have found yourself what I believe may be the largest collection of human sundering tomes on the continent.

It was often, long ago, for an individual or a group to capture someone of a different species and perform a series of torturous experiments on them and record the results, so as to learn how to make more effective tools and techniques to, dismantle, the other species. Sundering tomes, torture books, vivisection journals, they go by many names, but are all the same thing - compilations of brutally detailed experiments to learn the anatomy, and weaknesses, of a species.

The practice is, of course, technically illegal, but the tomes fetch a high price if you can find the right buyer - spies, inquisitors, militant parties, doctors, or just collectors of rare books.

The most rare item, however, is a pair of preserved papers, predating the Great Corruption. Two pages from the Ardour Manuscript, a most ancient manuscript describing long-dead beasts that existed before the Corruption, and mysterious codes that my family has spent untold years trying to decipher.

The Ardour Manuscript is almost entirely erased from the minds of people, due to the efforts of the Daeli to hide whatever truth it contained. Hide the pages from them at all costs.

The work of the Hommon family lies here - may you carry on our wishes to preserve knowledge, and explore the forbidden.

7420-01-19 Thursday

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:44 am

"On one hand, if what's written is true, this is an archaeological discovery of incalculable value, and I'm ecstatic to know such tomes even exist.

On the other, WHAT IS WITH EVERYONE AND HUMAN VIVISECTION? Can't dig sites have secrets OTHER than ones involving people getting disassembled while alive?"

>Go check the chests. I have a hunch they're HM, in which case the documents are probably in pretty good state.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:25 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"On one hand, if what's written is true, this is an archaeological discovery of incalculable value, and I'm ecstatic to know such tomes even exist.

On the other, WHAT IS WITH EVERYONE AND HUMAN VIVISECTION? Can't dig sites have secrets OTHER than ones involving people getting disassembled while alive?"

>Go check the chests. I have a hunch they're HM, in which case the documents are probably in pretty good state.

Evelyn: "Human what?"

Valerie and Evelyn read the paper while you walk over to the chests.

Wood lacquer paneling, with some sort of black resin in the seams, and brass latches.

Oliver: "Looks like wood protected with tar, and in the seams too. No HM, guess that's why the corruption eaters didn't try to come down here."

There are four chests total. Three of the chests have rectangular cloth-wrapped objects, probably the sundering tomes - fourteen in total.

The four chest has a single heavily cloth-padded and wrapped object, and several bundles of paper held between wooden slats and compressed with twine wrapping.
7420-01-19 Thursday

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm

”Evelyn, Oliver, you guys feeling anything weird from this? Just making sure there’s no traps.”

>In the negative case, gently close and lock the chests, see if they’re light enough to carry.

“Let’s get these into Ingret ASAP. Do you think we can hoist them through the floor, or should we look for another exit?”

>Take the chance to test the floors of the chambers for hollow sounds - Wooden flooring in a basement is unusual, and could hint at further sub levels.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Evelyn, Oliver, you guys feeling anything weird from this? Just making sure there’s no traps.”

Evelyn: "I don't sense any magic."

Oliver: "No HM down here either."

Areku wrote:
>In the negative case, gently close and lock the chests, see if they’re light enough to carry.

“Let’s get these into Ingret ASAP. Do you think we can hoist them through the floor, or should we look for another exit?”

>Take the chance to test the floors of the chambers for hollow sounds - Wooden flooring in a basement is unusual, and could hint at further sub levels.

There don't appear to be any lower levels - all of the floorboards seem to be solid underneath.

The chests are light enough for each person in your team to carry one back to the hole and carefully hoist them up one at a time.

~

Back inside Ingret's core, you stash the crates carefully in a small room with a heavy locking door that Ingret fabricated, along with the suitcase from the taxidermist.

Valerie: "What's next?"

It's evening now - might be best to explore further in the morning when there's light.
7420-01-19 Thursday

Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 pm
Loose Canon

"I think that will be it for today. It's getting dark and I'm not comfortable out here at night yet.
We've got a good haul though. Some interesting stuff, some valuable stuff. We also realized we should get cameras.
Let's camp in Ingret tonight outside the city and stray people."

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 572  Next