View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 650  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"I think that will be it for today. It's getting dark and I'm not comfortable out here at night yet.
We've got a good haul though. Some interesting stuff, some valuable stuff. We also realized we should get cameras.
Let's camp in Ingret tonight outside the city and stray people."

Ingret: "I'll hide in some of the trees nearby."

~

The next day - your team gathers in your office, everyone suited up and ready to go.
7420-01-20 Thursday

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 am

”Alright, team, let’s get back to it. Finish the points of interest in this town, maybe even move further in to one of the larger cities later, if we have enough time.”

>Head to the town hall next!

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:13 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Alright, team, let’s get back to it. Finish the points of interest in this town, maybe even move further in to one of the larger cities later, if we have enough time.”

>Head to the town hall next!

~

Back on the streets of the town, your team heads to the city hall.

It's a moderate-sized two-story building with a set of broken-down double doors in the front - walking through, it looks like the general layout is records on the lower level and offices on the upper.

Bones are scattered around the floor, and there's the odd corruption eater in a corner here and there.

Unlike the library, the roof of this building seems to be intact, though most of the windows are broken. Documents away from the windows should be safe from water damage.
7420-01-20 Thursday

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:19 am

>Alright! Time to look for daily records, newspapers in better condition, anything that might give us a clue as to how and when specifically the madness started, and if it was related to the bombardments. Also explore the building in general, to see if there’s anything unusual to be found.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Alright! Time to look for daily records, newspapers in better condition, anything that might give us a clue as to how and when specifically the madness started, and if it was related to the bombardments. Also explore the building in general, to see if there’s anything unusual to be found.

As far as archived information goes - birth certificates, death certificates, citizen listings, criminal records, legislature, and budgets.

As far as news goes, there isn't actually anything too helpful in the official records, but that might be redundant when the library had a large collection of newspapers.

There appear to be an abnormally large number of death certificates in the year 7392, and large budgets redirected to reconstruction efforts around 7396.

There don't appear to be any basements.

On the upper floor, the offices are in disarray with smashed down doors and paperwork all over the place.

In one of the offices, there's a journal sitting dead-center on the desk. You open it and begin reading.

It seems like the town is overrun by its own mad denizens, with no hope of help from the outside, so I will try to record important dates and events in the event someone comes across this town and wants to know what happened.

Bombs fell on the town in the summer of 7392. The Daeli were only present in the form of their public speakers, and said a rogue militant force was responsible for the attacks, which also occurred across several towns and cities. Several hundred died during the bombings. Large amount of collateral damage. The summer heat was harsh as many homes lost cooling.

Reconstruction efforts started in 7396. The large delay was due to a shortage of funding due to significantly increased taxes in the decades prior. Daeli presence vanished. Local government of every town and city in the region was no longer in contact with the Daeli.

7398, a traveler from the local region arrived in town wearing heavy clothing, highly unusual due to the region's warm weather. Reports of assault occurred. Many citizens who lived their whole lives here started turning mad and attacking others. The madness seem to spread like a disease.

It is now the year 7398, the fourth month, the third day of the holy Caelus.

The mobs pound on the doors and smash in the windows as I write. May I meet the lord in the heavens.

Goodbye

Lisa Yuul

7420-01-20 Thursday

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:09 am

>Archive JOURNAL. Show JOURNAL to team.

"Seems like the bombings and the madness were not necessarily related. More like, some entity took advantage of the weakened cities in the region to start taking control of people.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it was schals."

>Birth certificates! Look for ones related to the Taxi family. Claire never mentioned a sister, so maybe she doesn't know of her. Considering her family seems to have escaped the madness, knowing who they are could be fundamental in finding living witnesses of the events of that fateful autumn.

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:47 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Archive JOURNAL. Show JOURNAL to team.

"Seems like the bombings and the madness were not necessarily related. More like, some entity took advantage of the weakened cities in the region to start taking control of people.

Call me old fashioned, but I think it was schals."

>Birth certificates! Look for ones related to the Taxi family. Claire never mentioned a sister, so maybe she doesn't know of her. Considering her family seems to have escaped the madness, knowing who they are could be fundamental in finding living witnesses of the events of that fateful autumn.

You let the others read the journal.

Valerie: "What makes you think it's schals?"

For birth certificates, it takes a lot of digging around, but you do manage to find the Taxi family.

Brent Taxi, 7340
Velma Wendal, 7342
Howard Taxi, 7361
William Taxi, 7364
Janette Kurts, 7366
Ellen Taxi, 7390
Claire Taxi, 7388

Let's see... Brent and Velma are Claire's grandparents, Howard and Janette are her parents, William is her uncle, and Ellen is her sister.

There are older Taxi records, but they also have death certificates, so no chance of talking to them.
7420-01-20 Thursday

Last edited by CaveCricket48 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:40 am

>Archive BIRTH RECORDS. If nothing else, this will probably be bureaucratically useful for Claire.

"It's mostly a hunch. The fabric, the cleaned bones, the stranger wearing heavy clothes... I'll admit, there's a bunch of stuff still unexplained, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me it's schals."

>If we can't find anything else of note in this building, go visit the blacksmith and mechanic's shop. They seem to be the last possibly loot-bearing places in town.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Archive BIRTH RECORDS. If nothing else, this will probably be bureaucratically useful for Claire.

"It's mostly a hunch. The fabric, the cleaned bones, the stranger wearing heavy clothes... I'll admit, there's a bunch of stuff still unexplained, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me it's schals."

>If we can't find anything else of note in this building, go visit the blacksmith and mechanic's shop. They seem to be the last possibly loot-bearing places in town.

Valerie: "Seems a bit early to call it, but a guess is better than none I suppose."

~

The blacksmith and mechanic's shop don't seem to have any useful bits of information. As far as hardware goes, the mechanic shop has a manual mill and several drill presses as far as interesting pieces go, but not useful for your investigation.

~

Back inside Ingret's core, you review your collected items.

A suitcase with framed photographs and a diary from the taxidermist household
Four chests, containing a total of 14 sundering tomes and a bundled object that is supposedly a pair of pages from the Ardour Manuscript, as well as several packets of notes
Seven birth certificates of the Taxi family
Lisa Yuul's journal

It's late in the afternoon - quite a lot of time was spent digging through the town hall's records.

[Back to Darson!]
[Other]
7420-01-20 Thursday

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:53 am

>A bit too early to go back. Now that we’re in a safe spot, let’s gently examine the Ardour pages, using all of our archaeological rare material handling skills. Also skim over the sundering tomes, to make sure they are the genuine article.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:56 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>A bit too early to go back. Now that we’re in a safe spot, let’s gently examine the Ardour pages, using all of our archaeological rare material handling skills. Also skim over the sundering tomes, to make sure they are the genuine article.

With Ingret's help, you get a humidity and dust controlled clean-room set up, using your memory of the UC clean-room setup to provide guidance.

Suited up in Bezel's hardsuit for the self-contained air supply and wearing a sterile set of gloves, you bring the chest containing the Ardour Manuscript into the safe-room and set it on a table.

Carefully unwrapping the cloth bundle, you find two wooden picture-frame like objects with truly ancient looking paper in them.

Looking carefully at one of the frames, it appears to be two panes of glass pressed together with the artifact inside, edges sealed with what is possibly tar, and then compressed with a wooden outer frame held closed with screws. The whole thing looks airtight, so your fancy climate-controlled setup apparently wasn't necessary.

The words and drawings on the page are extremely faded, with holes and tears in many places.

Setting down the frames, you look through the notes, which have transcriptions of the legible text.

Shelter

Regenerating ... ...
... Decelerated ... Core
... Environment
Heavy Armor

... mobile and ... ... Shelter is ... to ... ... a long-term ... while ... low ... ...

... and exit ... the environment is ... ... through ... tunnel.

Adaptive exterior ... is ... of regeneration ... ... heavily armored ... the core shell ... armored ... ...

Core decompression is decelerated to ... ... damage even ... ... extreme damage.

Unlike ... ... does not have ... ...

Beneath the text in the first original page is a diagram of sorts, too faded and damaged to make heads or tales of.

The second page has a seemingly random series of numbers and letters, with the Hommon notes attempting to decipher without any luck.
7420-01-20 Thursday

Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:44 am

"Ingret, come take a look at this."

>Upon Ingretcam appearing:

"I can't be a hundred percent sure, but there's a good chance this tome is a description of witches. The part about core compression is a dead giveaway, at least, and the part about the exit being through a tunnel fits with how you bring us in and out of your core. This also brings some credibility to my theory, that witch cores were maybe designed as shelter for humanoid creatures - architecture notwithstanding, the life support system is far too big an investment for an organism that doesn't need an atmosphere to survive.

We'll have to ask Bezel to take a look at these, maybe she can make sense of the faded letters through a microscope. On the meantime - This code, on the other page, does it mean anything to you?"

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:47 pm
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
"Ingret, come take a look at this."

>Upon Ingretcam appearing:

"I can't be a hundred percent sure, but there's a good chance this tome is a description of witches. The part about core compression is a dead giveaway, at least, and the part about the exit being through a tunnel fits with how you bring us in and out of your core. This also brings some credibility to my theory, that witch cores were maybe designed as shelter for humanoid creatures - architecture notwithstanding, the life support system is far too big an investment for an organism that doesn't need an atmosphere to survive.

We'll have to ask Bezel to take a look at these, maybe she can make sense of the faded letters through a microscope. On the meantime - This code, on the other page, does it mean anything to you?"

Ingret's camera forms from the ceiling, looking at the code briefly.

Ingret: "No.

If this is about witches, I'm not sure about the 'armored' parts. Witches don't seem very armored."

7420-01-20 Thursday

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:08 pm
Loose Canon

"Most of the ones we've seen aren't, but witches evolve over time. They may have grown out of armor in favor of feathers, at least around here. Maybe Claire knows of some armored witch families.

The armor mentions don't quite fit, but everything else does, a bit too perfectly for me to just abandon the witch connection... Maybe it means a suit of armor, like we're wearing.
Or maybe it just isn't referring to traditional armor. Like, armor against corruption or something."
> Long shot, but look at the frame. Does it seem like we could possibly decipher anything further than Hommon already has?

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:28 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Most of the ones we've seen aren't, but witches evolve over time. They may have grown out of armor in favor of feathers, at least around here. Maybe Claire knows of some armored witch families.

The armor mentions don't quite fit, but everything else does, a bit too perfectly for me to just abandon the witch connection... Maybe it means a suit of armor, like we're wearing.
Or maybe it just isn't referring to traditional armor. Like, armor against corruption or something."
> Long shot, but look at the frame. Does it seem like we could possibly decipher anything further than Hommon already has?

Ingret makes a sharp, deep purring-like sound. A thinking noise? A bit strange to remember that despite sounding like Bezel, Ingret is still a giant bird.

Looking at the frame, some of the words that Hommon wasn't able to figure out are still on the actual papers, just heavily worn and missing a few letters. You might have a chance at figuring out what they are with some good optical equipment, but Ingret doesn't have anything like that at the moment.
7420-01-20 Thursday

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491, 492 ... 650  Next