View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:38 pm



Reply to topic  [ 9311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 621  Next
 World Reader 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Huh... but what use would they have for writing down an identification code like that? Wouldn't each witch, or, shelter have a unique code? Ergh, we don't actually know if this document was in wide circulation though, or if the code page was standard or individually printed... too many unknowns.
Hm. Bezel's right, I need to ask Opera. At this point there's too many possibilities to pull anything meaningful from the code page."


Claire: "So many questions...

Are you going to try to get the pages dated? See if it's really as old as the previous owner claimed."

7420-01-21 Friday


Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:36 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 5017
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
”Definitely. UC has a lot of tech at its disposal, it’d be silly not to make use of it.

I might also have to check the, uh, sundering tomes at some point. Not my favorite subject, but depending on their age they might contain information we could use. At the very least, they could work as a bargaining chip if we need to ask for Aldente’s services again.”


Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:39 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Yeah. For once, I happen to be an expert in this subject!
And I guess I should take a look at those sundering tomes, too. At least before I pass them over to someone actually interested in that."
> Raph knows people from school. He can find people to help with this.
Oh, definitely should talk to Liam about them first. I doubt the sundering tomes will be a problem, but I want to consult with him before making moves on the manuscript pages.


Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:49 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah. For once, I happen to be an expert in this subject!
And I guess I should take a look at those sundering tomes, too. At least before I pass them over to someone actually interested in that."
> Raph knows people from school. He can find people to help with this.
Oh, definitely should talk to Liam about them first. I doubt the sundering tomes will be a problem, but I want to consult with him before making moves on the manuscript pages.


You and Claire leave Ingret's core, and you head over to Liam's office.

Liam: "Welcome back again, Ralph."
7420-01-21 Friday


Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Hey Liam. Second journey into the ruins was a lot more successful. Specifically, we got a hold of a couple things I want to ask you what we should do with.
So in an old storeroom under a library, we found a collection of sundering tomes, pretty much vivisection guidebooks, and two preserved pages from what is supposedly a pre-corruption manuscript about pre-corruption beasts.

The manuscript pages suggest some interesting things about witches that we're going to look into, but the notes with the manuscripts also say the Daeli made an effort to stamp it out a while back. I want to get the pages professionally dated to verify they're legit, but I also am worried about information getting out.
The sundering tomes, uh, well I don't think we really have much use for them in our work, but a collector or museum would probably be quite interested. I'll look over them to be sure there's nothing particularly worth keeping, but they're probably just collectibles to us."


Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:27 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hey Liam. Second journey into the ruins was a lot more successful. Specifically, we got a hold of a couple things I want to ask you what we should do with.
So in an old storeroom under a library, we found a collection of sundering tomes, pretty much vivisection guidebooks, and two preserved pages from what is supposedly a pre-corruption manuscript about pre-corruption beasts.

The manuscript pages suggest some interesting things about witches that we're going to look into, but the notes with the manuscripts also say the Daeli made an effort to stamp it out a while back. I want to get the pages professionally dated to verify they're legit, but I also am worried about information getting out.
The sundering tomes, uh, well I don't think we really have much use for them in our work, but a collector or museum would probably be quite interested. I'll look over them to be sure there's nothing particularly worth keeping, but they're probably just collectibles to us."


He frowns for a moment.

Liam: "Pre-corruption manuscript, describing witches. That certainly is interesting. Can the source of the manuscript pages be identified by just looking at them? If a small, unimportant segment could be removed and sent in for dating, it would prevent anyone from trying to look into the writing."
7420-01-21 Friday


Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:44 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"They're pretty fragile, and in sealed cases to preserve them... I don't love the idea but, if we could use a cleanroom or something to open it up and seal it again afterwards, then there's blank spots we could take a piece from. I'd feel best about that if we could get some mages to help make a sealed micro-environment to operate on the pages in.
If we do open it up, before we do I'd like to get some good high detail photos and try my hand at transcribing it myself. I feel like I might be able to pull a bit more info out of it if I get some good viewing equipment.

The paper itself looks old, but it does seem to be just paper. Shouldn't be able to find its identity just from that."


Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:52 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"They're pretty fragile, and in sealed cases to preserve them... I don't love the idea but, if we could use a cleanroom or something to open it up and seal it again afterwards, then there's blank spots we could take a piece from.
If we do open it up, before we do I'd like to get some good high detail photos and try my hand at transcribing it myself. I feel like I might be able to pull a bit more info out of it if I get some good viewing equipment.

The paper itself looks old, but it does seem to be just paper. Shouldn't be able to find its identity just from that."


Liam: "That's good to hear. We can definitely allocate a cleanroom for any delicate work you need to do.

The sundering tomes - anything with information on spirit interaction, we want to keep those. The rest, if you could get them appraised, we could see if we want to go through with selling them."

7420-01-21 Friday


Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:02 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 5017
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Will do, chief.

We're making progress on the town investigation, as well. As soon as I'm finished with the documents, we'll head into the larger cities, to see if we can question the wandering people."


>If we're finished here, CLEANROOM TIME and SUNDERING TIME!


Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
"Will do.

That's all I had. Gonna go look over those sundering tomes and brush back up on document preservation techniques."


Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:08 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"Will do.

That's all I had. Gonna go look over those sundering tomes and brush back up on document preservation techniques."


Liam: "I'll leave that to you, then."


Leaving his office, you set off to do... Something!

[Look at Sundering Tomes]
[Other]
7420-01-21 Friday


Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Posts: 5017
Location: The Grills Locker.
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
>SUNDERING TIME FOR THE SUNDERING TOMES


Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
>SUNDERING TIME FOR THE SUNDERING TOMES


After doing some paperwork to reserve a cleanroom for yourself, you cart over the chests of sundering tomes.

Suiting up in a cleanroom suit, you carry the chests into the room and begin your analysis.

Fourteen sundering tomes in total. Five of them are in a lupus language, while the other nine are english but in a chirop script.

The lupus tomes are in rather poor condition, and you take extreme care as you gently look through, while the chirop tomes range from slightly-better-off to almost pristine.

As with the Ardour Manuscript pages, a transcript exists for each book, complete with copied sketches so you can read them without fear of damaging the originals.


All of the tomes have gruesome depictions of torture and devices being used on humans, as well as general biology investigation and experimentation.

What bits can be removed without immediately killing a human, injecting them with various drugs and observing the effects, exposure to diseases, temperature resistance, and so on.

Two of the tomes, both chirop, have magic experimentation - experimenting with corruption resistance, as well as corruption-scanning imagery similar to what Aldente was doing. The detail in these parts seems to be more varied, looking at different structures of the spirit, rather than focused on the SBC. Potentially useful information for the spirit-research team UC is working on.
7420-01-21 Friday


Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:16 am
Profile
Loose Canon
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Posts: 2992
Location: --------------->
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
> Ok, set those two aside. We have transcripts but the raws can still be useful.
I'd say we should make copies of the transcripts of the others too, but I don't really want to keep that info around...

Ok, what time is it. Do we know what the weather's gonna be like this weekend? Gotta start planning for beach. WHAT BEACH STUFF DO I OWN???


Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:52 pm
Posts: 11812
Location: Here
Reply with quote
Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
> Ok, set those two aside. We have transcripts but the raws can still be useful.
I'd say we should make copies of the transcripts of the others too, but I don't really want to keep that info around...

Ok, what time is it. Do we know what the weather's gonna be like this weekend? Gotta start planning for beach. WHAT BEACH STUFF DO I OWN???


You set the two tomes with magic experimentation aside.


Time: 4:35pm, basically the end of the work day for you, no idea when Bezel gets out.

Weather this weekend: Should be fine, you think?

Beach stuff you own: Uhhhhh, nothing that you can think of.
7420-01-21 Friday


Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:13 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498 ... 621  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.
[ Time : 0.025s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off ]