View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597 ... 612  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
TorrentHKU wrote:
"That is kind of my hunch, considering it can't go through the witch barrier.
Hm. So no real clues then. Do we have anyone who might know better?"

Janet: "I don't know of any dark magic researchers, or even anyone who practices it, this side of the continent."

Henry: "My best guess is maybe the UC Darson's witch researcher? Might have a better idea on spatial magic. Though, I assume you've already talked to them at one point or another."
7420-03-12 Monday

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:14 pm
Loose Canon

"Yes, I've theorized thoroughly with Claire.
Knowing for sure it's dark or spatial might help. How did you, 'see' it exactly?"

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yes, I've theorized thoroughly with Claire.
Knowing for sure it's dark or spatial might help. How did you, 'see' it exactly?"

Henry: "Ultra-thin tendrils, worming around the internals of your spirit. There's only so much I can look at due to walls and such, don't wanna be punchin' holes in stuff."

Janet: "Maybe going through the files you brought will reveal something useful. If there are any dark mages in there, it would be good for comparison."
7420-03-12 Monday

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 pm
Loose Canon

"Hopefully. We did find some spirit related machinery before.
That said, we also found a dozen or spiritless camoflauge skinned humanoid monkey, things. They were very good at setting traps, and I have a feeling they aren't naturally occurring. So, who knows what the hell is gonna be in the files."

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:13 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hopefully. We did find some spirit related machinery before.
That said, we also found a dozen or spiritless camoflauge skinned humanoid monkey, things. They were very good at setting traps, and I have a feeling they aren't naturally occurring. So, who knows what the hell is gonna be in the files."

Janet: "Spiritless monkeys, huh."

Henry: "I wonder how they're surviving ambient magic."

Janet: "Anyways, this just about concludes the inspection. Alterian ray imagery isn't particularly useful for something like this, so no blasting you with corruption today."
7420-03-12 Monday

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 pm
Loose Canon

"Hm? I've heard a bit about that, why's it not a good fit? Apart from it irradiating me."

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Hm? I've heard a bit about that, why's it not a good fit? Apart from it irradiating me."

Janet: "Casting structures are fairly deep inside a spirit, so trying to take imagery of it would require slicing off the obstructing layers and other bits in the way. Not good for live subjects."
7420-03-12 Monday

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 am
Loose Canon

"Ah. Yes, none of that please."
> I think timeskip. That's all I needed from Ossolen.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Ah. Yes, none of that please."

Janet: "Do you know of our company's original work before the merge with UC? If you have time, I could show you our operations and products, maybe some of it would be useful to you."
7420-03-12 Monday

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 am

”Oh, certainly. I’d be delighted if you could show me around.”

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Oh, certainly. I’d be delighted if you could show me around.”

Janet: "Right this way."

While Henry goes back to help with the heavy lifting, Janet leads you to another room.

This one just looks like a storage area - lots of shelves full of small labeled boxes, each about as long as a pencil. She takes one off the shelf and hands it to you.

On the top has some printed text -

Marsh TI-Comp
395 Standard Caster

Janet: "Have you heard of telepathically interfaced external computers?"

You shake your head. Nope.

Janet: "They telepathically connected to you and provide an interface that lets you input calculations and they return the result. Some are more complex and also allow the user to automate their own magic casting or create pre-programmed casts, which is what our Caster series do."
7420-03-12 Monday

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:59 am
Loose Canon

"...Huh. Interesting. Like translating letters into pulses of light for morse code, for instance. Or, probably a lot more complex things too.
Reminds me a bit of some auto casters from UEN I got ahold of."

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:11 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"...Huh. Interesting. Like translating letters into pulses of light for morse code, for instance. Or, probably a lot more complex things too.
Reminds me a bit of some auto casters from UEN I got ahold of."

Janet: "Oh, the UEN has autocasters?"
7420-03-12 Monday

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:18 am
Loose Canon

"Yeah. The ones I've got of are for sports, apparently magic duels are a thing up there. Have slots for focus cards, and the gun or glove or whatever shape it takes, is the actual casting device. Has a neat telepathic interface too."

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Yeah. The ones I've got of are for sports, apparently magic duels are a thing up there. Have slots for focus cards, and the gun or glove or whatever shape it takes, is the actual casting device. Has a neat telepathic interface too."

Janet: "Huh. Wouldn't've expected them to be the sort to do that."

The two of you move to another room - this one with stacks of small flat boxes, and crates of many small boxes.

Janet: "We have a farm on the outskirts of town that raises bliss drakes bred to be tiny and fairly harmless, which we harvest for the telepathic focuses that are in those crates.

A separate farm has specially bred corruption eaters that grow alterian mass that's only connected to a small physical mass, which we have in those flat boxes."

The two of you then move to another room, this one with machinery that looks like an old corruption imaging setup. Between the emitter machine and jigs that hold something in place is a slot for something to slide into.

A shelf in the room holds hundreds of small squares that have various intricate cutouts in them.

Janet: "Those flat pieces of HM go into that jig, and we shape hundreds of them with an alterian ray emitter with those templates to block off beams where we want solid mass to remain. It's all invisible to the naked eye, so we need people like Henry to inspect them."

Another room - this one with a machine that has a large containment area, and slots for something to fit into. A shelf against the wall has many vials, all full a translucent yellow fluid.

Janet: "Once all of the alterian mass slices have been cut, we bring them here and spray them with a special formulation of Wahogin Toad venom, a type of venom toad core beast. The venom is an HM fluid with nasty effects, one of which is causing biological alterian matter to greatly contract. The processed venom we have has mainly just that effect, and it causes the alterian mass to shrink into a tiny shape and bind together."

The final room. Just a workshop-like space with rolls of metal sheets in one corner, machinery to cut the sheets into shapes, another to fold them, and some welding and polishing tools. A table has various shapes of a resin-like material, and heavy duty stamps for printing text onto the sheet metal surfaces perhaps.

Janet: "And here's the last step, where we put the finished alterian mass into a nice stainless steel box. The resin parts have ground bliss drake core shells mixed in to provide corruption resistance."

You finally open the box in your hands, and a finished, brushed-steel box with smoothed corners is nestled inside, Marsh TI-Comp 395 Standard Caster printed on the metal surface.
7420-03-12 Monday

Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 9173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 591, 592, 593, 594, 595, 596, 597 ... 612  Next