View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615 ... 624  Next
 World Reader 

Post Re: World Reader
Areku wrote:
>RETURN SNUGGLES!

“Of course. After what we’ve been through together, I’d never let you out of the loop.

Plus, whenever I ask for your help, I also get to enjoy your company. It’s a win-win.”

>Wholesome happy couple time.

You return the snuggles, and the two of you lie down for a moment, your arms wrapped around Bezel.

Being a bit tired from waking up last night, it's comfy to lie down again, especially with Bezel in your embrace.

~

You hear the front door open and close, with someone walking around downstairs. A glance at your watch sitting on the nightstand says only a couple hours of passed.

Footsteps approach the door and soon Ellen appears, grinning widely when she sees the two of you.

Ellen: "Lunch is here~!"
7420-03-14 Thursday

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:20 am

>Look back at Ellen, embrace/squish Bezel a bit tighter before helping her to her feet.

"You're early. School treat you well? Also, what'd you bring?"

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:27 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Look back at Ellen, embrace/squish Bezel a bit tighter before helping her to her feet.

"You're early. School treat you well? Also, what'd you bring?"

Ellen: "Just finished one class, got another later. Hybrid mechanical-construct engineering, really neat stuff.

As for lunch, ground beef flat rolls!"

Bezel: "Mm, I don't know what a flat roll is but it sounds tasty."

Ellen: "It's flatbread rolled up, with stuff inside, like meat and veggies. Lot of street vendors that sell 'em, cheap and tasty and easy to eat. I think it's the only thing Violet eats."
7420-03-14 Thursday

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:33 am
Loose Canon

"Heh. I've gotten pretty decent at cooking, ask Bezel. I could try making dinner some times. Do you guys keep much in the kitchen?"

Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:13 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Heh. I've gotten pretty decent at cooking, ask Bezel. I could try making dinner some times. Do you guys keep much in the kitchen?"

Ellen: "Only basic things like eggs, bread, and some canned stuff. We used to have it fully stocked when there were more people, but after they left we just buy things as we need them."

The three of you head downstairs to the dinner table, where three large paper bags are sitting.

Ellen: "I got tons of flat rolls, so dig in!"

[Eat and timeskip!]
[Eat and talk?]
[Other]
7420-03-14 Thursday

Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:44 am

>Eat and skip! Share platitudes and innocuous tales.

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:23 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Eat and skip! Share platitudes and innocuous tales.

The three of you eat up, and you and Bezel talk about some bits of the going-ons of UC, excluding sensitive material of course.

The three of you are just about finishing up when Ellen glances at a clock on the wall.

Ellen: "Time to get back to class!

You guys got any exciting plans today?"

It's barely a few minutes into the afternoon, plenty of time left in the day.
7420-03-14 Thursday

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:10 am

”Well, I was thinking of maybe visiting a couple of those museums you mentioned! Could make for good research.

Maybe start at the... Tasche, one, since it’s smaller, if I recall? Then the Gria.”

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:46 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
”Well, I was thinking of maybe visiting a couple of those museums you mentioned! Could make for good research.

Maybe start at the... Tasche, one, since it’s smaller, if I recall? Then the Gria.”

Ellen: "Tasche is a good start. I'm heading out, have a good time!"

Bezel: "See you later."

Ellen leaves the condo and you and Bezel are alone again.

Bezel: "Ready to head out?"
7420-03-14 Thursday

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:20 am
Loose Canon

"Mhm.
I, feel like I should be waiting for the weekend for this sort of thing. But oh well. Consider it scouting if I have to."

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:08 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Mhm.
I, feel like I should be waiting for the weekend for this sort of thing. But oh well. Consider it scouting if I have to."

Bezel: "The Tasche museum could definitely be work-related. Space compression!"

[Go time!]
[Other]
7420-03-14 Thursday

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:07 am
Loose Canon

"Work and play in one fell swoop!"
> Go time!

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:10 am
Profile WWW

TorrentHKU wrote:
"Work and play in one fell swoop!"
> Go time!

~

The Tasche museum is a medium sized, relatively simple two-story building, with the only thing distinguishing it from the others is the brass lettering above the door reading "TASCHE".

Stepping in, you and Bezel walk down a short lobby in the center of the building. Two sets of double doors are on the left side, both opened, while two sets on the right are closed. A placard above the opened doors says "Museum". Seems like the right way to go!

Heading through the doorway, the two of you enter large brightly gallery displaying large and small construct machinery, as well as carrying bags, suitcases, and wallets.

A young man in a chair right beside the doorway is slouched against the wall, sleeping. Black hair tied back in a ponytail, lanky build, and wearing a simple white dress shirt and black pants.
7420-03-14 Thursday

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:52 am

>Probably Bezel’s area of expertise more than mine, but it doesn’t hurt to look. Examine the constructs on display, read any accompanying plaques or descriptions.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:55 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
>Probably Bezel’s area of expertise more than mine, but it doesn’t hurt to look. Examine the constructs on display, read any accompanying plaques or descriptions.

You lead the way, starting at the display closest to the entrance.

A six-foot wide amalgamation of boxes, blobs, wires, and tubes, housed in an appropriately large glass display. A small head-sized door in the center of the construct is opened, showing a small compartment. The plaque describes the display as a model of Henry Tasche's first working dark-magic space compression construct, which could compress a 7-inch cube of space into roughly a 6.5 inch cube of space. While dark-magic space compression was a known and proven concept prior to Henry, he was the first to make a machine this small with a noticeable compression ratio.

The next display is a similarly large machine, but rectangular, and the exterior is almost completely covered in an array of dull orange tiles. The only part uncovered is a control panel of sorts on the front, with a small opened door beside it. This machine model is of Henry's first working prototype of a space compression construct that can compress itself as well as its contents, while leaving the control panel and door as an uncompressed access point - as well as a support strut on the bottom, so it doesn't hit the floor and damage the exterior when it shrinks. The compression ratio of this one is stated to be 56:59 - not practical, but large enough to be measured.

The next looks like a copy of the machine, built by Vanessa Tasche, Henry's niece, that also has a standalone box about two feet tall and wide - compression improvements to the point of practical space savings, but with the caveat that its weight was unchanged.

It would take the Tasche family four generations to solve the issue, all their efforts leading to the next display - A sphere with a surface covered in a repeating pattern of black and orange tiles. To deal with the issue of weight, kinetic modules were installed that counteracted the force of gravity. To solve the problem of inertia, a short-distance dark-magic continuous teleportation system was invented, allowing the unit to be transported while the majority of the mass constantly teleported with the control-panel/door. Since gravity was constant, and the velocity imparted on the control-panel/door didn't have any effect on the bulk of the machine, power consumption was time-dependent, rather than movement and time dependent if it was purely kinetic-based.

The rest of the displays show different iterations of the compression machines as the Tasche family developed them into refined portable containers, decorating them as carriages, luggages, suitcases, and eventually handbags and pocketbooks.

Bezel: "Interesting way they solved the problem with inertia. Just, teleport it."
7420-03-14 Thursday

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 9356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 609, 610, 611, 612, 613, 614, 615 ... 624  Next