View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 51  Next
 Legends of the Sky - Six and One 
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One
CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Hmmmm. Think I'll mull over the ammo for a bit, probably gonna take a break until the next hunt anyways.

Thanks for the help, seeya 'round."

> Timeskip to when my ammo former gadget is completed, go pick it up

And make sure I grab the others so they remember to retrieve their items as well.

Man: "Alright then, come back soon."

The next day, you and the others head to the Fresh Rain workshop to collect your new gear, receipt in hand. The smiths outside are all busy, but a clerk inside takes your ticket and heads to the back, coming back with 3 wooden boxes.
Clerk: "Alright, here's your gear. Let's see...
One mana hardener fitted for bullet shapes.
One mana-charged mist sprayer.
Aaand one water based magic dampener.
That right?"

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:15 pm
Profile WWW

"Mana hardener's right for me."
> Take my box, give it a look.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Mana hardener's right for me."
> Take my box, give it a look.

Frederic: "I think the dampener is me."
Karina: "Then, the mist sprayer is me?"

The others take their boxes as well, and everyone begins examining their new gear. Each box has a small paper with a quick description written on it, and the gear itself nestled in straw.

Clerk: "No testing those in the shop, please."
Frederic: "Right, right."

Let's see...
Mana bullet former
Hardens atmospheric mana and air into shape of interchangeable bullet mold
Produces 4 per day automatically, feed mana to manually make more bullets

Well it's short alright, but you guess the note covers the essentials. Could ask the craftsman if you have more questions.

Frederic: "Hm. This says it'll charge the water in the air around me so that it resists magic coming at me. Huh, that might weaken healing magic actually. Should test that."
Karina: "Mine makes a spray of mist that's full of mana, spells or willpower will absorb the mana and get stronger!"
Leon: "Really? Hm, that's interesting. I'm not sure if that will help much with healing spells, but my attack spells can definitely use that. Maybe even Fred's willpower, or the external uses anyway."

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:26 am
Profile WWW

"Let's find a place to test these out."

> Find a good field or training ground!

Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:06 am
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Let's find a place to test these out."

> Find a good field or training ground!

Thankfully there are multiple reinforced practice fields on the north side nearby the guild that you can use as an adventurer. Thanking the clerk, the four of you leave with your new gear and head to the practice fields.

You arrive and see that several fields are in use, but there are some free ones you can use. A bored looking man sits in a booth, checking your guild card before directing you to field 4.
The practice fields are about 30 by 60 feet each with 10 foot walls, and another 10 feet of thick rope nets above that. The walls and floor are all made of thick, smoothed concrete slabs with small chips and gouges and slightly off-color patches scattered all over the surfaces.

Frederic: "Huh, I like it. Alright, so who's first for testing?"
Leon: "I want to see what Karina's can do. Powering up all the spells I put out sounds really useful."

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:53 am
Profile WWW

> Stand back, let Karina do her practicing.

Mess around with my mana former in the meantime. Form some bullets, see what they look like. Chuck one down at the ground, see what happens. Also what does the device itself look like?

What do I know of magic imbuement? Is that a thing? Can I load one of these bullets with my healing spell?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:56 am
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Stand back, let Karina do her practicing.

Mess around with my mana former in the meantime. Form some bullets, see what they look like. Chuck one down at the ground, see what happens. Also what does the device itself look like?

What do I know of magic imbuement? Is that a thing? Can I load one of these bullets with my healing spell?

Karina and Leon go to work with Karina's tool while Frederic takes a bit of distance from them to examine his own. You join him in checking your device.

The device itself is a simple cylinder, with a small metal 2-piece mold attached at one end, and a dark blue circle on the other end. Popping one end of the mold free, you find a sky blue bullet already in it. Taking it out and examining it, the bullet is lightweight and very lightly translucent. You snap the mold back shut so that it can work on another bullet.

You throw down the bullet and it breaks against the ground with a snap, followed a moment later by a small flash of light and wind. You wouldn't exactly call it an explosion so much as a burst of energy.
With a bit of experimentation, you figure out that you can feed mana into the blue circle on the end of the former, and after absorbing a surprisingly large amount it abruptly stops taking in any more. Popping it open after that, there's a second bullet ready for you. With that energy expenditure, you think you can make 4 bullets at one time before hitting empty.

Imbuing magic into bullets... it's nothing you've learned about, but it doesn't sound too crazy. A spell can last on its own for a fair amount of time just left to float around in the air, the academy warned you about just forming spells without powering them and letting them drift off. Attaching it to a bullet might serve as an anchor? The problem is all you really know is healing spells, which tend to be high precision spells that take very specific amounts of mana. You form a healing spell without putting any mana into it to power the effect, and try sort of... pushing it onto the bullet. It sticks, but... you've kind of uh, 'dented' the spell for lack of better word.
You wouldn't want this to heal you.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

> Chuck the bullet at the ground away from everyone, make sure it breaks. Don't want an accident with that thing.

What do I know about autonomous spell creation/casting?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:00 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Chuck the bullet at the ground away from everyone, make sure it breaks. Don't want an accident with that thing.

What do I know about autonomous spell creation/casting?

You throw the bullet at a wall away from the others, and it does the same snap then burst as the first one did, though with less light this time. Speaking of the others, Karina is watching with interest as Leon launches a variety of elemental bolts through a cloud of mist, and they all seem to grow in size or intensity as they pass through.

Spell casting... Well, the soul has a magic structure creation mechanism that is usually under autonomous control of the body. Spellcasting is teaching yourself to sever that connection and take manual control.
Spells are, through repetition, memorized by the soul in the form of instructions for assembling it. When you recall it and bring it forth, the soul reconstructs the spell from the memorized instructions, forming the spell out of mana, and then allowing you to charge it with more mana and thus cast the spell.
This much is all taught in your magic classes. Any specific aspects you want to think about?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 pm
Profile WWW

> How are spells learned?

Am I able to manually recall the instructions in my healing spell?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
> How are spells learned?

Am I able to manually recall the instructions in my healing spell?

Spells are learned by observing someone form the spell and call forth the instructions from their soul several times. The learner's soul can detect that and copy the instructions over to itself bit by bit. Well, that's the usual way.
The alternative is spellcrafting, which is very advanced. It involves using mana control to manually form a spell, then working out and forming stable, repeatable steps to forming that spell, and then imprinting those in the soul. Spellcrafting is how entirely new spells are created.

You do not have the kind of experience or skill to manually examine or decipher spell instructions, let alone ones for a complex spell like a healing spell.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:17 pm
Profile WWW

> Where can I go learn new spells? How much does it cost?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Where can I go learn new spells? How much does it cost?

There are shops for it, especially in Madosa, or you can often find mages willing to teach at shops for various magic things. You're less likely to find dedicated shops for it outside of major cities.
The academy also impressed upon you that while it wasn't strictly against any laws or regulations, you will get quickly blacklisted if you start spreading spells for free to people. Teaching spells within a party isn't exactly condoned, but is hard to track so spell sellers tend to just turn a blind eye to it.
Generally you can expect to pay as much for a new spell as you would for a good piece of equipment.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:48 pm
Profile WWW

"Karina, do you know if it's safe to cast healing magic through that mist?"

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Karina, do you know if it's safe to cast healing magic through that mist?"

Karina: "I have no idea!"
Frederic: "Well it's just healing magic, what's the worst that could happen?"
They were actually quite specific about the worst that could happen when you were first starting the healer courses. Tumors, muscles being restored wrong, bones mending in the wrong shape, tumors, numb limbs, internal bleeding, external bleeding, tumors.
They mentioned tumors a lot.
Healing spells are delicate and designed to only work with specific amounts of mana. Attack magic is more robust, and generally will just explode harder or something if you overcharge it.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 51  Next