View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next
 Legends of the Sky - Six and One 

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One
>To the guild we go!

Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:41 pm
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 2
Areku wrote:
>Summon my waifu familiar. I have one of those, right?
Hm...
The Guide has nothing on that. No idea.
tipsy wrote:
>To the guild we go!

To the guild!
You head off down the street, having memorized the location of the guild long ago. After a few minutes you transition to the more densely populated streets where visitors to Madosa tend to stay, and overhead you can see a few ships coming and going from the various docks around the edges of the city. A few more minutes of walking and you arrive at the guild, and boy is it busy.
Practically a swarm of new recruits like you, all looking for a group of Adventurers to take them in and bring them to spelunk ruins, hunt monsters, or whatever else lands on their Adventurer plate. A few of the braver or stupider grads try to band together and make their own group, but without at least ONE veteran who knows their stuff those are doomed to failure. Easily a dozen people you recognize from the academy are milling around outside, and probably three times that many inside.
You gulp, not even having entered yet and already facing stiff competition.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:32 am
Profile WWW

> Stand in a somewhat-clear area but still close to the crowd - aim for an area that's a decent mix of rookies and veterans, we don't want to be running with all rookies and get killed, and a veteran-heavy team is not likely to recruit us.

"AMATEUR HEALER LOOKING FOR PARTY"

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:37 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 3
CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Stand in a somewhat-clear area but still close to the crowd - aim for an area that's a decent mix of rookies and veterans, we don't want to be running with all rookies and get killed, and a veteran-heavy team is not likely to recruit us.

"AMATEUR HEALER LOOKING FOR PARTY"

Let's try the direct route. You head into the guild building, having to work your way through the crowd a bit. Inside it's definitely busier, though surprisingly not too noisy. Let's fix that!
Gram: "AMATEUR HEALER LOOKING FOR PARTY"
Most of the people stop to look at the shouting noob. Some chuckle, some shake their heads, others just stare blankly. But most go back to whatever they were doing. Hm. Oh, wait, here comes someone! A woman in... the guild uniform?

Guild Woman: "Excuse me sir, but we have to ask you to not cause a disturbance. Recruits like you are trying to talk to parties and find a compatible one. You'll need to seek out and talk to any party you are interested in joining, they do not come to you."
Ah. Guess you should see what kind of parties there are here then.
Guild Woman: "If that's a problem, we can always put you on an Available Adventurer list for parties to look through themselves, though we can't guarantee any results with it."

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 am
Profile WWW

"Apologies ma'am, won't happen again."

Flip open my guide book, look for the following topics for information:

-Rules regarding adventurers out in the field
-Statistics on party role demographics - who are the most common, who are the least common?
-What sort of monsters are in the area?

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:28 am

"Er, my apologies. I'm Graham Gallington, new around here. I would appreciate if you could put me on the list - if I find a group on my own, I suppose I will just find a guild rep to have my name struck out." hold off pending guidebook information

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:30 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 4
CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Apologies ma'am, won't happen again."

Flip open my guide book, look for the following topics for information:

-Rules regarding adventurers out in the field
-Statistics on party role demographics - who are the most common, who are the least common?
-What sort of monsters are in the area?

No need to flip it open, you already know those easy parts!

Out in the field, Adventurer parties generally stay out of each others' way. If two parties meet, they exchange info and see if their tasks are related. If so, parties often work together to accomplish the goal, assuming they aren't both competing for the same resource or objective. Rarely there's a clerical error and they're given the same request, but those are exceptions.
If the two have unrelated tasks, then it's considered common courtesy to share any warnings of nearby dangers if they know any, then just move on and get back to their own requests. Aside from those inter-party unspoken rules, intra-party rules are pretty much entirely up to the discretion of the party themselves.

As for roles, it's unsurprisingly slanted towards the flashy glorious roles. Damage dealers; mages, willpower fighters, sharpshooters, swordsmen, the whole spectrum. People like feeling cool, and a lot of these roles leave them safe in the back lines.
Right behind the damage dealers is tanks and pullers. Tanks are heavily armored warriors that can defend the party and pull aggression from monsters to keep the rest of the group safe. It's a dangerous role, but a relatively simple one to pick up. Good tanks are a dime a dozen, great tanks are rare. Pullers are similar in role to tanks, but they use agility and speed to dodge and aggravate enemies, distracting them, instead of taking hits and fighting directly. Both can halfway fill a damage dealer role, but need to prioritize survival over attacking, so are more of supplements in that respect. Pullers are rarer than tanks, but fall into the same general category of helping the group survive.
Less common are the support units. Most often casters of some kind, they almost always know healing magic or willpower, and often have some other skills to buff their allies or debuff enemies. Larger groups will sometimes have dedicated healers and buff/debuffers, but smaller groups will often just have one person for both roles. Generally, if a small ( or even medium if the healer is dedicated ) party gets into a situation where one healer can't keep them healthy, they're in over their heads anyway.
Least common of all are non-combat members. It's rare to see a person in a party who can't actually contribute in a fight, but sometimes you need to bring someone along for whatever reason. Or maybe their skills are valuable enough to be worth defending them.

This area is pretty heavily patrolled and hunted by lower level Adventurers and by the large number of ships constantly passing through. The monsters roaming freely around here are generally limited to some larger species of fish, around the size of a person, and an aggravatingly persistent but surprisingly useful island completely infested by slimes.
There are a couple places on the edges of Madosa's territory that have an eye kept on the monster population, letting it flourish but still keeping it in check. Those are generally used as training grounds though. One is populated by various beast type monsters, and if you recall the current local Boss of those is a bipedal wolf beast. The other has earth and water elementals constantly forming on it, good for practice against non-living monster types.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:59 am
Profile WWW

> What's my healing magic strength on the spectrum of healers? Somewhere near the bottom, I assume?

Look for the quest listings - what're the easiest things posted? What are the monsters involved and where are they? Terrain type? Ship required?

Are there any easy, inane quests?

Look for the Available Adventurers list, look for three of the least experienced members for each of the following roles: Offensive mage, Swordsman/melee, Sharpshooter (gun or bow), Tank
Look for up to 10 non-combat adventurers
Record their names, roles, and contact information (mailing address?) on a piece of paper

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:11 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 5
CaveCricket48 wrote:
> What's my healing magic strength on the spectrum of healers? Somewhere near the bottom, I assume?

Look for the quest listings - what're the easiest things posted? What are the monsters involved and where are they? Terrain type? Ship required?

Are there any easy, inane quests?

Look for the Available Adventurers list, look for three of the least experienced members for each of the following roles: Offensive mage, Swordsman/melee, Sharpshooter (gun or bow), Tank
Look for up to 10 non-combat adventurers
Record their names, roles, and contact information (mailing address?) on a piece of paper

Your healing magic is pretty low tier right now. You can do a basic full body Heal, which basically excite the body into repairing itself. It's a useful cure-all, and doesn't need to be targeted on the injured area. Though it can lead to improper healing in some instances like bad bone breaks, and it only heals a limited amount that won't grow much with your casting ability, unlike most other magic. Additionally, the stronger a person's body becomes, the less this will affect them, since it takes more energy to repair their stronger body to how it should be. So, you'll need to find newer healing spells as you grow.
You also have some basic detoxification and status clearing spells, which while weak are still very useful. Those can stack with multiple casts like the basic Heal, though higher tier status effects may be unaffected by them at all.
Some people can learn Willpower healing, which is generally pretty short range, requires concentration instead of being fire and forget, and can't do the more varied things healing magic can like cure poisons or diseases or more exotic status effects. The advantage of Willpower healing is that it does grow with the user. As they get stronger, their healing keeps up with them, and at really high levels they can even do some miraculous stuff that would take custom made spells to do. Plus Willpower is Willpower, so you get the basic body enhancement all Willpower users can use.

You thank the guild woman for now, and head over to the Common Request board. These are generally the simple, repeat, or always up requests, there's another board for more advanced or specific stuff.
Well there's Slime Gathering, kill some slimes from the aforementioned island and bring back their goo. Slime goo is a basic reagent with a bit of magic power in it. Diluted a bit, it can pretty much replace water entirely in alchemy, and improves the effect of basically anything you make. There are also some other miscellaneous uses for it that you don't know off the top of your head, you think it can be refined into burnable fuel for one. But there is always a demand for slime goo, and always people willing to collect it.
That will require pretty much any ship and any party that can kill a slime. A lot of them stay on the island itself, but there are plenty that can grow bubbles and float up to ships. So honestly, you could even do that one alone with a dinghy rental. Super easy, but not a bad basic teamwork builder.
If that's no good, then you could harvest some sky fish too. They're more dangerous than the slimes, you'd want some actual help for that. But still pretty easy; take out a big tasty fish, bring it back.

The Available Adventurers list is... not very populated with what you want. It tends to be full of higher tier Adventurers actually, ones who don't waste their time with simple jobs. Big ticket requesters come by with a "Special Job", look through the list, and try to get a specific Adventurer to help. Or a party takes on a big request and recruits someone off the list to ensure success. It's really meant for people who "don't have time for the request board".
More junior adventurers like you tend to stick with more common jobs from the request boards until they build up some experience, and don't bother putting themselves "on call". Actually, that guild woman was probably subtly telling you to shut up or take a hike...
Anyway, the actual list only has 3 other novice adventurers. A bowman, a swordsman, and a fire mage. Damage dealers, unsurprising. You write down their names and roles for now, to contact them you'll have to go through the guild.

On the bright side, there's still a good 30 or so experienced parties milling around in the guild, and even when one picks up a rookie and leaves, another soon takes its place. This is prime Adventurer season.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:58 am
Profile WWW

> Find the bowman, swordsman, and firemage. Then go to the rookie section of the crowd and scan for loners.

Goal: SLIME HUNTING, with team-relation building

Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:14 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 6
CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Find the bowman, swordsman, and firemage. Then go to the rookie section of the crowd and scan for loners.

Goal: SLIME HUNTING, with team-relation building

Well, might as well find those other teamless noobs and partner up, then you can go stomp some slimes! Boring, but reliable!
Woman: "Um... excuse me? Mr. Healer?"

Hm? You turn around to see a young woman behind you. Very long blond hair and pale blue eyes, a nervous but excited expression, white dress with a few lace accents, and a simple wooden staff as tall as she is with a metal crescent moon ornament at the top attached to her back. She's a bit shorter than you, and looks to be around your age. A fellow graduate maybe? Though, you don't think you've ever seen here before at the Academy.
Woman: "Do you, um, have a party yet?"

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 am
Profile WWW

"Not yet. If you're looking for a member, I'm free!"

Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 7
CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Not yet. If you're looking for a member, I'm free!"

Woman: "Oh! Yes, yay!"
She giggles, claps her hands and jumps a bit. Certainly not a paragon of maturity, but she seems nice.
"Come on! You'll be our third person, I'll introduce you!"
She grabs your hand and starts gently pulling you immediately, clearly too excited to wait around for you to follow on your own. The girl guides you over to one of the corners of the guild's common area, where a few chairs have been gathered and everyone seems to be giving the area a fair amount of space. What could-
Oh. He's the other person, isn't he.

A mountain of a man sits on one of the chairs, sitting straight up and looking around at the other people gathered in the guild. His look is hard to place exactly, but if you had to you'd say equal parts sizing people up and not wanting to be here. Short cut, low maintenance hair and a light 5 o' clock shadow give him a rough and tumble look, combined with his absolutely jacked arm. Yes, arm. Singular.
He's only got the one, on the right. He's wearing a metal chestplate over a very short sleeved white shirt, or maybe it's a normal shirt and just not big enough for him. His left sleeve is pinned up and ends right at the shoulder, not even a stump. Aside from the chestpiece, he also has a pair of thick boots with some metal plates for kicking, but no other armor right now. Height wise you aren't sure since he's sitting, but you'd easily place him at 6'6", and looking like he weighs two of you and could lift five of you. One arm or not, he's certainly no slouch in the physical department.

Man: "Oh, you got him after all."
Woman: "Yup! Easy catch!"

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 am
Profile WWW

> Polite nod.

"Gram Gallington. Apologies for my, unorthodox method of party-seeking earlier."

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:17 am
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One - Roll 8
CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Polite nod.

"Gram Gallington. Apologies for my, unorthodox method of party-seeking earlier."

Woman: "Karina Erdroffer! I can do healing magic and light and even some buffs!"
Man: "..."
Karina gives him a bump with her elbow after he just stares at you for several seconds.
Man: "...Frederic Koadai. Don't call me Fred."

Karina beams at you while Frederic looks you over. His eyes stop in several places, mostly around your gunbelt and satchel, and your armor.
Frederic: "So you're a gunner with healing magic? Hm. Sensible."

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next