View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Open Source Cortex Command? 

Post Open Source Cortex Command?
It would be cool if Data released the Cortex Command source code. There could be be the Official version, which is Data's, and the open source version. I'd imagine the open source would have even more complex and lagtastic actions and could have fully fledged explosions and acid. Even support for gifs...

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Open Source Cortex Command?
Mushrooshi wrote:
It would be cool if Data released the Cortex Command source code. There could be be the Official version, which is Data's, and the open source version. I'd imagine the open source would have even more complex and lagtastic actions and could have fully fledged explosions and acid. Even support for gifs...

No. Just no.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:20 pm
Profile WWW

(Almost) all of the code we are given access to is the same code Data uses. We do have the source code.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:45 pm
Banned

Obviously you do not know what "open source" means Mushrooshi

Also, where the hell did you get source code, 3 Solid? AFAIK, it does not come released with source files.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:49 pm
Profile YIM

I meant-

Ah nevermind.

(This is not spam, this is an indication that I do not have access to the source code. Sorry.)

Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 pm

Mushrooshi wrote:

hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha

No.

Data is developing the game, and he plans on, you know, selling it. He's not going to release the source anytime soon. Obviously, this is what Mac and Linux does to you.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:07 pm
Profile WWW

Nfsjunkie91 wrote:
Mushrooshi wrote:

No.

Data is developing the game, and he plans on, you know, selling it. He's not going to release the source anytime soon. Obviously, this is what Mac and Linux does to you.

I have actually been refreshing this page waiting for you to reply with something almost exactly like that.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:09 pm
Profile WWW

Father Venn wrote:
Nfsjunkie91 wrote:
Mushrooshi wrote:

No.

I have actually been refreshing this page waiting for you to reply with something almost exactly like that.

I figured you would.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:01 pm
Profile WWW

Nfsjunkie91 wrote:
Obviously, this is what Mac and Linux does to you.

Wow, and all this time I thought OS X costed money...

But yeah, he's gonna sell the game. There will be OS X and Linux ports so there's no need to worry about that aspect. And surely by the time it goes gold, the engine will be highly improved.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:38 pm
Banned

I would just like to point out that being Open Source does not mean having no profit. Having an open source license only requires posting the source openly (hence the name Open Source) and without cost. Open Source is not the same as Free Software.

99.9% of open source licenses still allow a developer or team to offer a combiled binary for. Plenty of programs do that. How many basic windows users and gamers actually want to compile source files? Answer: Not many. Granted, if this program ever sees a release to a Linux platform, Data can expect to get no revenue from a Linux-compatible pre-compiled binary (because its easy to compile most languages in Linux) if he takes this route.

The lines between open source and commercial content are quickly blurring. Get with the program, kids, and stop talking about stuff you don't know about (as is the norm with this board).

Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:58 pm
Profile YIM

One question I've always wondered about open source:

Surely open source means only the code is released, not all the resources? And CC without and art or sound wouldn't be much of a game.
I'd quite like to see Data's code, although it would probably pass straight over my head :P

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:22 am
Profile WWW

RustyBadger wrote:

Surely open source means only the code is released, not all the resources? And CC without and art or sound wouldn't be much of a game.
I'd quite like to see Data's code, although it would probably pass straight over my head :P

It depends on the project; many OSS games prefer to keep their content copyrighted, but some will license theirs under an appropriate license, such as a Creative Commons one.

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:41 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

RustyBadger wrote:

All the art and sound is seperate though, it's all just referenced by the .exe.

It's all contained in base.rte.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:03 am

Yeah, It's be awesome if Data released the game's engine.

Oh, and ya'll also have to remember that their is more to the CC engine than just the .exe, their are many .dll's in there to.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

RustyBadger wrote:

That depends completely on the license you use and how broadly or narrowly you want to interpret the wording. It doesn't say open source code: Just open source. Technically speaking, images are part of source. The only reason that this is a weird issue for CC is because not a lot of games use raw BMP files for their images. Usually they are rendered or kept somewhere else that is an immutable part of the game.

The thing is, if he released the source o say, a test build, it wouldn't matter if he didn't put in sound or art. The point of open source is to develop your own software, so you should be making your own sprites and stuff.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:30 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next