View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Cortex Command for Linux 

Post Cortex Command for Linux
If there's a Mac port of CC why not Linux? Will there ever be Linux port? If it works on Mac, why you just can't compile under Linux?

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: Cortex Command for Linux
There may be, it's just that the limited market share hasn't made it worth the time yet.

Compiling between OSes is not a super-easy thing. The Mac build took months of dedicated effort; repeating that process to gain a trivial number of users is not a fiscally sound decision.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:11 pm

because lots of linux users just use wine.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:42 am

CC doesnt work on Wine.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:05 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
CC doesnt work on Wine.

mess with the audio settings and you should be able to find a mix that works

it worked for me and a few others back around B13, though a few couldn't get it working either

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:18 am

Since then CC has hit a point where the .exe doesnt even open under wine. "Starting Cortex Command" says the little task-bar; then it closes. Not even an error message or anything.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 am
Profile WWW

are you running it from a console? there should be a decent amount of info there that could help you work it out

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:09 am

i tried, and unless theres an argument im missing that will give me some output it did the same thing. no luck :(

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 am
Profile WWW

Cortex Command doesn't work under wine because of the security. It actually ran faster then windows on the a computer with identical hardware (at least on my work laptop it used to run faster on ubuntu then on XP), before the key registration system was introduced.

There's nothing you can do about this after build 18.

Edit: Anticipating the question "where can I get build 18?"
here's a link: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10850&start=0

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:11 am

Hey! Wine is entirely different thing! Wine can't run most windows apps correctly. Wine is far from complete.

Mac is based on Unix, and so is Linux. And if CC works natively under Mac, it will not be that hard to make Linux port.

And Linux HAS market share. People do buy Linux native games. Linux is the most popular OS after Windows.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:16 pm

maliken wrote:
Linux is the most popular OS after Windows.

OS X is around 10% and Linux is chasing 1%. If you're referencing Netcraft statistics, that's for a single website that caters to the nerdier like us.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Edit: nvm

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Well, Linux is OpenSource so naturally it doesn't have near as much of a market share as Apple does because no one pays for it. If you forget market share and look at actual user numbers, Mac is usually ahead by 1% or so but sometimes, like 2003, Linux was ahead of Mac. Link here:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

This is an inaccurate but general number used by a Web Development company. Also let me ask, how many fellow Linux diehards ever buy a copy of Suse or Redhat Enterprise? I never touched a pay version of Linux, I stick to Ubuntu and DeLi Linux for newer and older machines. It's literally impossible to tell how many people really are using Linux because there's no key activations tracked by some greedy company. I'm sure there's more Linux users than any statistic will tell you because it's money lost to Apple and M$ if we know about it, and they obviously want no one to know about it :grin:

Back to topic, since Wine doesn't work and I never got it to work most of the time anyway, anyone try Cedega? I have it but I don't have Linux on my machine atm, Ubuntu refused to run on my wireless network. When I did have it I had a 98 game called Heavy Gear running on my machine whereas on XP it refuses to run. Even Battlefield 2142 ran ok. But the shocker of Cedega was UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock. Both of those games ran 200% or more faster ingame and UFO:AS loaded about 500% faster in Linux/Cedega than in native Windows because Cedega bypassed the crappy loading methods used by Cenega Games in their games. I had to note that example as usually stuff runs worse under Cedega but evens out with Linux performance :)

EDIT: I also thought on someone mentioning porting the code, well CC was likely designed for Windows. When coding something you must make the choice at the beginning to use Cross-Platform friendly code and libraries or stick to a single OS. Data likely chose to stick to a single OS, that makes it quicker to develop the game and easier to debug. Most programmers go this route and I don't think it's a half-bad idea for game development since all PC-gamers know you need Windows anyway. The downside of sticking to a single OS is of course no cross-platform capability, and porting code to another platform takes much longer if you didn't begin the project with that in mind.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, if Linux users don't want to pay for games, why would they want to pay for Cedega?

CC does not probably use anything single-os libraries because there is Mac port, so why it couldn't be ported to Linux?

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Location: outside the shithole called the University in the Forest
*open source.
Writing that like a trademark is pure irony.
And actually, yeah, the profit from making a commercial game for Linux is near-zero, unless you're ID software.
I want Linux support, don't get me wrong. It's just impractical in terms of customers gained per dollar spent.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next