View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 SWAT Kats, the Radical Squadron. Lua help needed. 

Post Re: SWAT Kats, the Radical Squadron.
I meant an attached emitter. This way it's uninterferable and you can set different settings on the projectile itself.

Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:12 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: SWAT Kats, the Radical Squadron. Lua help needed.
Eventually I just copied some settings from the ERPPC I've been tormenting and toned them down to workable levels.

Here're some new pics, if you want:

T-Bone and Razor: (Razor is kinda torn up here - it's a little better in-game)

The Mini-turboblades cut up walls and anything else, really:

The Mini-cement launcher is a nonlethal weapon killing with sheer kinetic force. Patches up holes, too:

The Mini-Octopus missile is supposed to detain the enemy, but for now it just smashes into them and kills them:

I'd like to make the Glovatrix and the Kat Launcher be each a single firearm, with different projectiles being shot out of them according to a press of a button. I know that addressing inventory from Lua is problematic, so I'm looking into ways of doing it differently. Say, having the glovatrix be a part of the SWAT Kat uniform - attached at creation, the Glovatrix would always have a handle to use from the actor's code, and swapping emitters for different projectiles wouldn't be quite as hard. Is that sort of thing possible?

Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Razor looks kinda pale, could you make him darker? T-Bone's fur color is looking alright and so his head shape, but his torso/legs/arms are little skinny for his own good. : /

Btw I am not making a turbokat right now. Absolutely not. ;) [/hmm]

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Well, uh first, could you improve the sprites? Make T-Bone a bit darker and Razor should be more of a dark reddish orange(try to emulate this color as best as you can since CC's palette is pretty limited). Also T-Bone should show some muscle because right now his arms and legs look like toothpicks compared to the cartoon.

numgun wrote:
Btw I am not making a turbokat right now. Absolutely not. ;)

Wonderful, simply wonderful, thank you for raping the Turbokat with your flowerness. Also half-arsed plane mod? Is your ego so big that you can't simply accept that Grif did an excellent job with that plane?

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:10 am

You do realize you are mixing up a parody and it's target.

Which is kinda bad.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:30 am

mail2345 wrote:
You do realize you are mixing up a parody and it's target.

Which is kinda bad.

Um are you sure you read my post right? I was not even referring to that thread, I was talking about the actual plane mod not the joke one.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:34 am

It could end up being a resprite.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:36 am

I did say I'm an awful spriter... >_>

Both 'Kats are more or less Coalition Heavy resprites. I used the template thing to make 'em, so yeah, T-Bone seems a little "underdeveloped". :) Picking out shades of brown is a hellish job with the CC palette, but I'll see if I can find a better match.

Also, no advice on the Glovatrix? I had some practice with Lua when I was modding Supreme Commander, but the functions are different here, and there are specifics I'm not aware of. Will the "emitter switch" approach even work? Maybe I should make the Glovatrix a regular attachment, and have "invisible weapons" on it? What do I do with the 'Kat Launcher then?

And unless the advanced behavior is feasible, the Turbokat is better off as a simple dropship (maybe a simple armed dropship), with target painters for ordering "airstrikes". After all, it's a supersonic jet that can hover - just leaving it hovering will do it more justice than attempting a horizontal flyer.

Edit:
There. Looking better?

Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:45 am

It doesn't look bad. Just need more shading or details. I myself is a down right crap spriter so I can't really help.

Besides, it ain't that simple to resprite a coalition into a cat face humanoid. You gave effort.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Sean Mirrsen wrote:

The Mini-cement launcher is a nonlethal weapon killing with sheer kinetic force.

Hmm...I'm not sure how that one works. Image

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 am

It somehow kills things, inspite of ability to do so?

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 am

It's supposed to be a nonlethal weapon. Even the Turbokat-mounted cement machinegun has never killed anyone it hit. However, in CC, the sheer mass of the projectile and the accompanying 20-something particles of wet cement completely obliterate anything in their path. I'll tone it down of course, but for now it's fun.

I don't want to steal code from the various "impale launcher" mods present, so is there any other way to make the mini octopus missile do its thing? Currently it's just a kinetic kill weapon without much practical use, but I want it kept because it's very much a signature weapon of the SWAT Kats.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 am

Sean Mirrsen wrote:
I did say I'm an awful spriter... >_>

Both 'Kats are more or less Coalition Heavy resprites. I used the template thing to make 'em, so yeah, T-Bone seems a little "underdeveloped". :) Picking out shades of brown is a hellish job with the CC palette, but I'll see if I can find a better match.

Also, no advice on the Glovatrix? I had some practice with Lua when I was modding Supreme Commander, but the functions are different here, and there are specifics I'm not aware of. Will the "emitter switch" approach even work? Maybe I should make the Glovatrix a regular attachment, and have "invisible weapons" on it? What do I do with the 'Kat Launcher then?

And unless the advanced behavior is feasible, the Turbokat is better off as a simple dropship (maybe a simple armed dropship), with target painters for ordering "airstrikes". After all, it's a supersonic jet that can hover - just leaving it hovering will do it more justice than attempting a horizontal flyer.

Edit:
There. Looking better?

You are not an awful spriter and what you've done so far resembles the swat kats very much and thats already an achievement.

Razor looks pretty awesome now, the only thing that bugs me are the legs and feet.
The feet are usually quite large on the kats, and in CC large feet benefit of more stability
and balance. For the legs, both Razor and T-Bone's add knee pads like in this picture:

Also try some more intensive shading on the legs for both of them.

Now for T-Bone, he could really use some extra macho juice.
Make him larger. Find a mod with a larger actor (Darkstorm heavy trooper, Pelian army Assault robot, AAL Marine ect.) and then use one as a template and build T-Bone of that.
Seeing T-Bone undeveloped is a sore to the eye when that very part made him badass.
Make him bulkier, larger and have more muscle like he's supposed to have.

Then the turbokat. Making a craft with switching vtol and jet mode is possible. Fully.
And having multiple weapons is also not a problem when you have a good way to use them.
For example, you can have two buttons with one changing the weapon and the second one firing it.
This concept allows unlimited weapons to be on board.

The above system can be even reserved specifically for the auxiliary weapons system like those special scrambler, megavolt and octopus missiles. You can also have normal missiles and machineguns if you can find 2 more buttons for them to use.

You mentioned you need code to make the octopus missile grab someone instead of killing them?
Go to the mod section and find a mod named "Harpoon Gun". It was made by me and you are fully free to use any code you want, without credit if you wish so as long as you dont use my sprites. :P

Then the cement launchet, you could make the particles it fires have HitsMOs = 0 so they dont collide with actor, thus not killing them, but instead, use Lua for the particles themselves to stick to any actors they fly at and the particles will cause the victim actor to slow down by multiplying the actor's speed by 0.05 each frame. And to make them completely retarded, have a look at my Ionizer mod where it has a nice statement that causes the aiming angle to wiggle in a crazy way, preventing the enemy from locking on to you.

As for multiple firing modes for the glovatrix, you can use the same method as I described for the turbokat's auxiliary weapons system. Have one button select the next firing mode in the list and the other one to fire it.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Eh, the "button do X" method isn't what I'm talking about. HOW DO you switch weapon firing modes on an actor? Can you change the magazine of the weapon while it's held? Not to mention the Glovatrix periodically has stuff pop out of it, and the sprite also needs to change.

The Lua-powered armed drones have the code to stick weaponry onto the craft while retaining its control, so that part didn't bother me too much. Two "attachments" will be needed, one of AHuman type, with switchable weapons for the missiles, and one ACrab with a fixed firing arc for the cement gun. The missiles will not aim with the AHuman, but rather with the angle of the jet itself. Most will be guided anyway.

Thanks for the ideas on the cement gun - I'll check it out. It took me way too much time to get the thing to do what I want, and it still doesn't really do it. What I need is for a single "blob" to go splat on impact and produce a spray of particles going vaguely in its direction, then sticking to terrain. Whatever I did, the particles I made went spraying away in various directions, never sticking to the surface at impact. I figured it was because the particles with InheritsVel never receive the correct velocity of a projectile that gibs on impact (it would have to stop to get gibbed), so they spray in a random direction. If I can find a solution to that, it would solve both the lethality problem and the long-range firing issues.

And I'll do something about T-Bone, yeah. :)

edit: hmm, looking at your harpoon code.... I don't understand how it works. There's no line indicating that something gets attached to something, only changing PinStrength of the actor. I suppose this attaches the actor to the projectile somehow, but how would I go about attaching the projectile to the actor instead? (I'll experiment, of course, but I'd still like an answer)

Also, I don't need the octopus to carry the target away (and I don't want the mass limit workarounds), but instead something like getting the missile attached to the actor, and letting the physics and the missile's working thruster do their jobs.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Sean Mirrsen wrote:
Eh, the "button do X" method isn't what I'm talking about. HOW DO you switch weapon firing modes on an actor? Can you change the magazine of the weapon while it's held? Not to mention the Glovatrix periodically has stuff pop out of it, and the sprite also needs to change.

Its a bit tricky. It involves spawning a particle that checks the properties set for it and based on that it will spawn a particle at a desired velocity. So this means that ammo count, rate of fire and spread can NOT be changed. Making alternative fire weapons is very hacky and lacks alot of features one might desire.

I would believe it to work like this:

Press and hold the fire button. It will spawn a particle infront of the gun and upon releasing the trigger, it will launch the default shot. However, if you hold the trigger and then press, say aiming button instead (sharpaim), the particle will activate a switch and change the projectile it will fire and upon releasing the trigger it will fire the desired projectile. I suppose you could make the particle be a color coded orb so you could see clearly what ammo type you have selected to be fired.

See the Particle Accelerator mod by Kyred. It has the code for spawning and holding an object infront of it.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next