View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Two questions, a request, and an idea. 

Post Two questions, a request, and an idea.
Firstly I have 2 questions directed toward Data, Prom, or anyone in the know concerning this statement:

DevLog wrote:
In other news, the next build will be a whopper with much deadlier AI. No more of that “Why isn’t he firing!?” business. After debugging the original AI code, I’m amazed that they managed to hit or even detect anything. Also: shields, awesome mouse control with analog sharp aiming that won’t go though walls, complete control device config, etc etc.

It's wonderful that the AI is gonna be pumped up! Could this stop the bots from digging straight down to the brain, also? I like the fact that when they get stuck underground, they will begin digging toward the base; I don't like that they will pace back and forth aboveground until they wear a hole down to the brain. :-(

My other question concerns the mouse control. I've played the online flash games where the guy turns to point the gun at the mouse, and this game would work perfectly for it. I'm guessing that the controls will be kind of like this...
------
Mouse:Aim weapon/shield
L mouse button:Fire
R mouse button:Weapon select/pickup/drop
A and D:Left/right movement
W:Jetpack
S:Zoom-in aim?(or crouch, if that manages to make its way in. Maybe once it does, the aim button should become the crouch-and-aim button. Crouch and snipe!)
------
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, my request is one that a map maker could possibly do themselves, but I don't know. If the AI fix does not remove the computer tendency to just pace until they dig into the ground above the brain. My games don't last long enough now because the increased number of enemies(love that though) allows them to dig into my base before I can crash enough ships there to hinder them...:sad: Parhaps an indestructible plate/shield just above the brain is in order? Or at least something strong enough that they can't walk through it(but maybe use heavy digger instead). I don't mind them being able to dig in from the sides, since that doesn't make the game unbearably short.

I'm also wondering about the Skeletons...
1. They are very cool, but...
2. How will they fit into CC storyline? and...
3. Could you make some of them spawn underground? Just imagine... You're digging along, amassing your wealth, when a sub machine gun pokes out of the ground and blows your head off!

Lastly, I would like to thank Data and Prom personally, and everyone else for helping to bring this game closer to completion. You rock! :D

[edit: Wow... that's a looooooooonng post :shock: ]

Last edited by cliftut on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

And that can be done by mappers, but there are issues with actors digging through to the bottom of the map still, and that's why I don't play much myself.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:58 pm

Alright. Then perhapse indestructable plates could be put at the very bottom of the map also. It would at least work as a quick-fix.

This is a really good game, but until campaign(sp?) mode is implemented, there isn't a lot to do besides go on a quest for amusing mods, and that must be done in moderation or you go crazy.

Also, I just thought about something else. Although I'm sure data is planning to do this eventually, there needs to be a map-select added to the game sometime. To use your maps, you could just put them in a special folder in base.rte or something, then they would be selectable in-game.

And I can't wait for the WYSIWYG editor! Once that is finished we'll have lots of maps appearing on the forums.(Perhapse enough to warrant a special User Maps forum?)

I'm not very familiar with programming yet (starting small with Java), but I've never seen a game where it would let you select what each mouse button did(or maybe I didn't notice). Data might put in a simple option for that with three choices; default control; mouse control; and custom/gamepad/joystick control.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:10 am
Profile WWW

There already is a user maps forum. It's called Scenes.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:48 am
Profile WWW

...........errrr, thanks for pointing that out! :o
*Runs off to go look at Scenes forum.*

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:09 am
Profile WWW

If have a cure for the AI Brain Digging. Kill Them, its a easy free kill thats what I like.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:02 am
Profile WWW

If have a cure for the AI Brain Digging. Kill Them, its a easy free kill thats what I like.

Eh, it sort of works but it can be hard to remember to go check the area above your base for diggers when you're defending the other sections of your base. By the way, until the AI is fixed, why not put a brain with the entry at the top? That way they will always move toward the brain and will do much less digging. (Though not a perfect fix.)

As for button mapping, I would put:
Left Click: Fire
Right Click: Zoom
WASD: Move
Control: Crouch (If implemented.)
Shift: Gun controls. (Reload, Pick up, Drop....)
Space: Jetpack
Q&E: Switch Actor

Of course, for those of you doing two player on a keyboard, Mouse should without a doubt be toggleable.

Also, for the skeletons in the ground idea, only if there is a way to get new troops into your base without distroying your defense. I don't want my digger to get shot, leaving only my brain defender in my base without a digger. :o

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:52 am
Profile WWW

Kill them... why didn't I think of that before? XP

I will admit that I have had considerable fun ordering ships just to take them out. It is rather annoying, though, when one somehow survives and gets pounded right into the brain room... a cruel fate for me indeed.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 am
Profile WWW

i made a wall around my brain so that wouldnt happen but they still kill me...

Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:35 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I hear you there. I just can't wait till enemies stop doing that so that I can actually 'fight' them. It isn't fun having to constantly check the area above my brain to make sure they don't kill me while I'm not looking. I get tired of having to buy soldiers just to guard that area.

If the computer is going to dig down into my brain chamber, then I'd rather that it did it more intelligently, using the digger or something, and if that is the case, then it should not be able to dig straight down into it.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:26 am
Profile WWW

hey cliftut, why don't you get the lockdown map or brainless deathmatch map in the scenes forum? they have removed brains, so you can just go on killing without worry. and why don't enemies carry diggers? are they unable to dig, just shoot at things they see?

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:32 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Until then, enemies shall be special with a capital "R".

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 am
Profile WWW

AI is being improved for the next build.
Until then, enemies shall be special with a capital "R".

Wait, special doesn't have a... oh. :-? Just forget I said that.

Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:58 am
Profile WWW

Left mouse Button: Fire
Right mouse button: Reload/pickup
Middle mouse button click: laser sight
A, D: move left and right respectively
Space: jetpack
Mouse Wheel: change weapons

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:21 pm
Profile YIM

I have a 5 button mouse and a nostromo n52 , the keypad has a old school gamepad! will I be able to use both?

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next