View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Register/Unlock system idea 
Loose Canon

Post Re: Register/Unlock system idea
ProjektTHOR wrote:
Username and password system has potential a la Steam. Create account, then associate product key with account.

There is some validity to "don't fix it if it ain't broke," but an even stronger engineering motiff is "fix it before it breaks." No reason to not try out alternative systems.

I suppose if using it was optional or had a beta period, then it could be approached. But it would be retarded to shunt it onto us without any feedback or testing.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 pm
Profile WWW

If data wanted to make some money, he could put Cortex Command for digital download on steam, I personaly love steam, and would rather have it registered on that then worrying about changing computers crap.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:28 am

lol, steam fanboy.
the registration system could use some work, at least some flexibility should be introduced. the main .exe could have the reg/unreg option built in, and you could opt to disable it when you have no internet (due to the registration process requiring internet). but seriously, im more for game/content development than changes to licensing at this time.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

Geti wrote:
lol, steam fanboy.
the registration system could use some work, at least some flexibility should be introduced. the main .exe could have the reg/unreg option built in, and you could opt to disable it when you have no internet (due to the registration process requiring internet). but seriously, im more for game/content development than changes to licensing at this time.

That's kinda a given. But you have a point. Maybe the devs who devised the system will refine it later, but probably AFTER the game is more corperal corporeal I need sleep done.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:18 am
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

ProjektTHOR wrote:
No reason to not try out alternative systems.

Why go to the trouble for no appreciable gain? Putting it on Steam would just add another layer needed to play. A Steam user/pass would just replaced the email/key system, except you'd need to have Steam installed on any computer you wanted to use it on (if I'm reading how Steam works correctly).

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 am

Having it on steam alongside the current system could be good, but I'm sure there's profits in all steam sales to Valve, so that system would either cost more for the customer, or give DRL less gain. That licensing system would be convenient for previous steam users, but a bother for others.

If they'll be testing any new licensing methods, I just hope they leave the current system as an alternative alongside it until they're settled on the idea.
The idea of time based limitations on switching key use is still awful in my opinion though.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:34 pm
happy carebear mom

Azukki wrote:
I'm sure there's profits in all steam sales to Valve

If this data is to be believed, Steam takes about 40% of profit in return for distribution.
If this is to be believed, Plimus takes 10% in the price range Data currently sells at.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:19 pm
Banned

I'm not advocating Steam, I am advocating something similar to how that system works, but not integrating with the Steam system. That other ♥♥♥♥♥♥ said Steam, I didn't

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2