View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Swarms 

Post Swarms
Could someone make some nice swarming enemies? Maybe tiny little crabs with Mother Crab jumping patterns that explode on contact. Or something like slow, homing, easily destroyed rocket chainsaws. It'd be neat to actually need AI shooters on your side.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:50 am

Post Re: Swarms
Contrary wrote:
Or something like slow, homing, easily destroyed rocket chainsaws.
Well hey whaddayaknow I've got some of those handy right here. They have a craft you can order swarms in too. Oh, and they're manually controllable and have a launcher too, isn't that neat?
I intend to improve on these before actual release, mostly I want Lua based AI that flies straight until it finds something, and then it slowly rotates to its intended aim, and accounts for target lead and goes for decapitations rather than a plunge cut to the gut, and all that fancy stuff, but for now, default AI works with it, it's just not very pretty, having the thing floating downward, spinning, and inactive while it has no target. Also, during manual control, the camera is way too far into the direction of aim, and this is necessary for the vanilla AI to see much of anything.

Right now it's integrated into Shadow Echelon, so lemme repackage it into an external rte and change a couple things, and I'll upload it.
The screencap used an activity for them, so I'll probably throw that in there too. Maybe I'll add cluster spawns too, but chainsaw missile rainfall [rainsaw] is already pretty intense.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:30 am

'O'

ghosts with crispy cheese!!
I'll keep an eye to this one...

anyway, leave me ask, does so much homing missiles lag?

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:24 am

:D I didn't expect this to even work, let alone a day after I post it. You are the coolest.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:20 am

The mod is ancient.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:40 am

If I remember correctly, Azukki has been posting teasers of it in the epic moments thread for like the entire year now.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:22 am
Profile WWW

Only two posts throughout like six and a half months, with that picture at four and a half months old.
Aaanyways here's that whole thing.
Crappier AI and more lag than I remember though. As far as I know there's nothing I can do about it, although I seem to remember once having the AI for it work better, otherwise that screencap wouldn't have happened.
Attachment:
Rainsaw.rte.rar [95.65 KiB]
Downloaded 206 times

To have them swarm, disable Missions.rte/Skirmish Activities.ini by commenting it's IncludeFile line in Missions.rte/Index.rte or whatever. Make backups if you don't know quite what you're doing, and then reversibly screw up a couple times figuring it out.

Last edited by Azukki on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:59 am

Super fun. I kinda wish they wouldn't die slowly like that, but otherwise awesome.

Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:11 am

Rainsaw.rte/Guided.ini
Line 44
Code:
   EmissionDamage = 0.05

change to
Code:
   EmissionDamage = 0

This kinda unbalances them in their manual control and makes them pile up in their activities, contributing to lag, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]