View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Additional Wildlife 

Post Additional Wildlife
I don't see Wildlife as being "critical" in Cortex Command, but it's nice to have some wildlife wandering the planet to give it some beauty... even if it is extinguished by warfare in a couple of seconds.

I was just looking for a simplish mod of say... ACrab?

Revised Version (as per suggestions on the IRC):

Here is an example of how well I can sprite, unfortunately I cannot get my head around modding one bit. Which sucks. :(

So I make my appeal to the community, I can provide more sprites, if anyone else shares my vision and is willing to work on a pack of extra wildlife.

Oh, a note - with it being an ACrab, then I thought I'd mount a "turret" too it so it can defend itself, so it's attack is a bite, that's what the small green dots are, that's where the "damaging" pixels would be, also if it is possible to switch out body images for when it's attacking there is an open mouth one for the attack frame. It's not important though.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:47 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Additional Wildlife
Everything you're talking about is highly possible with Lua.

On the sprites you could do some varied outlines, as in, not just one color, zoom in on a CC sprite and you will understand what i'm trying to say.

And additional wildlifee has been requested before, but not much have been done of it, like, no magnetic lobsters or stuff like that.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:06 am

Okay, I'll vary the outlines then. It was just a quick sprite I did as a starting point and to show that I'm not just going to request something and put no work into it.

I wasn't really asking for anything special, just some creatures which can defend themselves, I was thinking of doing a "boss" sized version of the above creature too. I wanted to create my own mission using this type of wildlife - unfortunately I'm no good with modding, I could perhaps at a push learn to create missions but as far as actors go, I'm completely at a loss.

(Argh, poo... my computer has decided to not boot up anymore... laptops aren't much good for this sort of thing either, especially not this slow pile of junk!)

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:50 pm
happy carebear mom

You don't need any Lua for what you described, I don't think. You want an ACrab that can bite, yea? You said it yourself then, whoever picks up your request can code the ACrab and make the turret and weapon invisible, then have the MuzzleFlash be the open jaws.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Well, I don't know - I'll leave it up to whoever is coding to decide how they want to do things. From what I've read, squeezing as much as you can out of the INI file would be better than relying on Lua modules for mundane tasks.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:33 pm
happy carebear mom

Yeah, Lua is a beautiful thing but it leaves much to be desired in the stability department.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:40 pm

That sprite isn't too bad, concept is good too. Although a bulbous blue mammal(?) isn't exactly a credible form of wildlife in my opinion. Try and make something more interesting. Flying wildlife comes to mind.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:18 am

Well I wanted something colourful. But if people chuck some ideas of what they want to see I'll get on it.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]