View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Polistes Necare (Deathwasps) 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Polistes Necare (Deathwasps)
Polistes Necare (Deathwasp)

A newly found alien species, similar in appearance to Earth's wasps, is rapidly increasing its hold on the planet of Midas. Known as Polistes Necare, is commonly referred to as the Deathwasp for its deadly venom and iron-hard stinger. Agitated swarms are known to actually bring down drop ships and kill men in seconds flat. This species is best handled with caution.

In the wild, Polistes Necare will primarily stay at their hive, and will often move about attempting to find and adopt another hive if there isn't one in the area. The Polistes Necare hive is highly productive due to the larva's relatively short growth period. An estimated 30 adults emerge within a minute. However, due to the massive amounts of energy required to grow so many creatures at a time, there appears to be a limit of 50 sustained adults at one time.

A swarm of Polistes Necare surrounding a hive

Polistes Necare prefer to stay in swarms whenever possible. Their threat is much greater depending on the size of their swarm, and neighboring swarms will often join together. Being extremely territorial, Polistes Necare will attack any possible threats in their near vicinity, relentlessly stinging until the threat is eliminated. Its extremely sharp pincers are capable of ripping through the toughest of metal and shredding flesh in an instant, but they come at a price - Polistes Necare will often die off after only a few bites. This explains their instinct to stay near a hive, as once the number of their swarm begins to dwindle, they become far less effective. Polistes Necare are also known to fight between swarms from opposing hives, and, if given long enough, one swarm may entirely eradicate the other.

Polistes Necare attacking a perceived threat

Recently, Tradestar Midas has unveiled a controversial project, attempting to control Polistes Necare for use in battle. At 100 ounces of gold, a customer can choose to install a hive of Polistes Necare in their base with inhibitors that keep them from attacking allied units. This is an extremely dangerous technique, but if used properly, may give a team an extra edge in battle. A simple control system has been set up for use with Polistes Necare. A keyboard-like layout allows the user to simply use normal movement keys for directional movement, and to stimulate the swarm into attacking by holding the "Fire" key.

Appended attachment:
DOWNLOAD

Notes:
Too many of these can cause some serious lag issues. It's limited to 50 of them total, but you can increase the limit by playing with variables in Hive.lua (self.maxBees, specifically).
These have AI. If a hive is nearby, they will swarm around it. If an enemy is anywhere nearby, they take precedence and will automatically be attacked. If there is no hive or enemy, they will aimlessly float. Don't leave your Deathwasps unattended and with no nest nearby, or they might just float off and never be seen again.
If you get your swarm stuck under a corpse, just hold down Fire. The bees will usually be able to clear the obstruction enough to get out.
If you encounter bugs (pun possibly intended), please let me know as much as possible about the specific situation - what map were you on? How many Deathwasps were in the swarm? Did you have a hive? Were you using any other mods at the time? What happened immediately before and after the bug occurred?

Last edited by TheLastBanana on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:34 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Polistes Necare
Um, awesome much?

<3

*EDIT*
Only recommendation is to make the area they hurt stuff in much larger. Right now it's just too small.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:40 am

Post Re: Polistes Necare (Deathwasps)
TLB you have great mods. I D/L-ed and i agree that the damage area must be bigger but besides that loved it.

Edit: Forgot to say i love how you made cool descriptions.

Dislike: The tight swarming. Also how you can do damage by just going fast and touching them.Forgot to say that my bee limit is set to 50 but i have had 60 bees in a bunch???

Last edited by JoesycopOwnz on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:50 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Erm, I dislike the swarming, they congregate too close to the center of the swarm and disallows me to do killing swoops.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 am

They're super bees, not attack eagles.

But yeah I agree, they can get pretty tightly bunched up.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:20 am
Banned

Why do these remind me of the Buzzers from C&C: Tib Wars?

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm
Profile YIM
Loose Canon

Make it Nilla.

My god, from the way it's starting, I believ 2010 may be The Year of the Godly Lua Mod.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:01 pm
Profile WWW

That is just so ♥♥♥♥ sweet.
Now make something watery that can be used against the wasps.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

MaximDude wrote:
That is just so ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ sweet.

A guy in chem suit armed with poisonous spray!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 pm

weegee wrote:
MaximDude wrote:
That is just so ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ sweet.

A guy in chem suit armed with poisonous spray!

See: Browncoat Heavy and MDC Acid Sprayer. :P

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Reminds me of an episode of Stargate SG-1. I will definetly be using these.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:39 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Polistes Necare
whitty wrote:
Only recommendation is to make the area they hurt stuff in much larger. Right now it's just too small.

The radius has been changed to about 1.5 times the size, and I redid the code for stinging to make it a bit more even.

JoesycopOwnz wrote:
Dislike: The tight swarming. Also how you can do damage by just going fast and touching them.Forgot to say that my bee limit is set to 50 but i have had 60 bees in a bunch???

I just changed how tight they swarm to a bit bigger, so redownload. They don't really do damage by going quickly, it's actually spawning invisible particles randomly throughout the swarm which cause damage. Also, you probably have more than one hive, as each hive starts with 10 wasps. However, once there are 50 or more wasps, the hives won't produce and more wasps until the number decreases.

Foa wrote:
Erm, I dislike the swarming, they congregate too close to the center of the swarm and disallows me to do killing swoops.

The swarm is actually just a visual effect. The stinging itself has nothing to do with where they wasps are. Either way, I changed some things about the stinging, so hopefully it's a bit better now. Still, keep in mind, as much as these are very strong wasps, they aren't designed for swooping in and killing everything immediately - they're stinging as a swarm. It takes a few seconds to kill your average target.

Metal Meltdown wrote:
Why do these remind me of the Buzzers from C&C: Tib Wars?

Never played C&C, so I guess it's just a coincidence.

Hyperkultra wrote:
Make it Nilla.

As much as they do work pretty well for wildlife, they're a bit overpowered since you can't directly kill them. As well, I think Arne has an idea in mind as to what is actually happening in terms of wildlife, and this doesn't quite fit in.

MaximDude wrote:

I might consider that, actually.

Just to clear things up one last time, the stinging has nothing to do with where the bees are - they're really just a visual effect. The stinging itself is just invisible particles being fired off at random intervals.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:04 pm
Profile WWW

killer bees are the future of warfare :shock: :grin: :shock: :grin: totly aws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Make an "replicating" version where if the bee count is high enough, a queen is made and it can make a new hive.
Should be very expensive. Or make native bees.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:32 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

The only plus to having multiple hives is that if the first one breaks, another one is left. It wouldn't make more bees, because that would just cause a lot of lag. Otherwise, I like that idea.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next