View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 The (Coalition) Punisher - Heavy brain robot (v1.5.1) 5/2012 

The (Coalition) Punisher - Heavy brain robot (v1.5.1) 5/2012
The Punisher

At long last! This mod has been in development for over a year, mostly due to some copyright issues involving sprites. That's now behind us, and the Punisher is ready for release. So let's get straight to it!

Story:
When the Dummy faction created the Dummy Behemoth, they gained a major advantage over the Coalition. The Coalition lost base after base to the might of the Behemoth, towering over their small troops. The Coalition was losing the resource war, they became desperate. They sent scouts across the galaxy, searching for an answer to the Behemoth call of devastation. Many months later, across the vastness of space, tucked into a corner of a small planet in the furthest, darkest star system, they found that answer in the form of a wrecked ship. The source of the ship was and may forever be unknown, but there it was. Inside the wreckage they found new tech, like nothing they had ever seen. They dropship lifted the wreck to one of the now few remaining Coalition bases. Their top brains researched the new tech without pause for six months as the Coalition continued to hide in the dark.

"At long last..."

They found a way to integrate the new tech with their own. Forged from desperation and necessity, the Coalition had no time to outfit it with the Coalition colors. Regardless, the Punisher rose up. And with it, the Coalition would rise again like a Pheonix from the grave. Every resource went in to producing more Punishers, and slowly but surely, the Coalition made their return...

Specs:

- Steel plate armor, very durable.
- New hydraulic limbs provide excellent support for impacts, making the Punisher nearly unable to be knocked over.
- Helmet houses the new Brain Case 2.0

Weapons:

The rocket fist: Punch your enemies to death! The Punisher's hand detaches and the internal engine expands and fires, propelling the fist forward. Quantum-state mini-factories in the arm produce a new hand in seconds.

Beam Hand: A deadly laser bursts forth from the palm of the Punisher, powered by the Punisher's internal fusion generator. Strips the weapons of the enemies. Yes, you heard correctly. The laser destroy flesh, bone, and plastic, but leaves all the enemies gear completely intact.

Crush Fist: Power up the hydraulics in the hands for a devastating and humiliating way to destroy enemies. Pick them up by holding F and crush them or throw them.

(this gif looks kinda silly, but it's very hard to take a good gif in throwing because you have to hold F, print screen, and use the mouse at the same time. Looks much better in game.)

Shotgun: Standard Coalition Mauler Shotgun technology, with a twist of new tech. When discharged, the gun fires three things. Two rows of spike balls, and standard bullets. The first row of spike balls have a very high mass to power through shields and armor. The first row of spike balls also generate an instability field which destabilizes the molecules of enemies when they are exposed for a second or more, causing damage. The Second row of spikes are very light but break on impact, sending deadly shrapnel flying a (very)short distance. The bullets even out the space between the two rows for constant damage on your target. As a secondary function, fire directly into the air above your targets. The spike balls will generate and anti-gravity field, causing them to slowly float down on your enemies.

Drone Launcher: Launch Coalition Drones over short distances. Useful for getting into small places that the Punisher can't fit into. The drones will take on the AI of the Punisher when fired. If they Punisher is set to go to a certain location, so will be the drones. If the Punisher is set to patrol, the drones will also patrol. Post-fire AI changes do not affect the drones.

Justice: A laser cannon of immense power! Devastating to any target, uses warp technology to both penetrate walls when fired from medium distance and fire the laser from a few feet in front of the gun, protecting the Punisher from any backfire particles. Because of the overwhelming power stored inside the gun, the weapon itself had to be made nearly indestructible or else it would explode in the Punisher's hands. This makes the gun useful as a small shield. With its massive power and limited shielding abilities, it's the ultimate siege weapon.
(in this gif you may notice the blue balls that spawn the laser effect and serve as the power of the weapon. In-game, they are completely unnoticeable)

Purger: Giant coalition chemical flamethrower, with a twist of new tech! The Purger generates a massive heat wave as well as a thick cloud cover. This makes the weapon very capable of pushing enemy ships out of the way that would otherwise crash into you. Deadly at short range, and an excellent tool to fend off falling debris. This gun uses a flamable green liquid to produce the flame, making it a chemical flamethrower. The chemical tank drains as you fire.(The drain effect isn't perfect, but it's the best possible with the current CC engine.)

All of this can be yours for the price of 800 oz!

UPDATE(V1.5):
Added a version that really is a brain. Now placeable as a brain unit and purchasable as a regular unit.
Punisher no longer crouches when AI controlled
Drones fired from the Drone Launcher now use the AI mode of the Punisher. If the Punisher is set to go somewhere, the drones will also be, automatically, when fired.
Drone Launcher tweaks to minimize the risk of finding the wrong parent(Shooting out enemy drones instead of friendly)
Drone Launcher now has a slightly faster fire and reload time.
"Drone 2" no longer buyable
Lower health to fix cost multiplication, but tougher material to match the previous survivability.
New hand sprite
Fixed Mac compatibility issues
Purger now more deadly
All weapons are now tougher and resist small arms fire better.
Crush fist now has triple the grab range.
Correct actor height, health display is not touching the actor
Centralized the mass onto the Punisher itself, rather than the weapons. This prevents the jetpack from working too well if most weapons are destroyed.
New tool: Eviction - A re-purposed version of the beam hand. Laser ports open on all sides of the hand, creating a powerful digging tool designed to make holes big enough for the Punisher to easily walk through. VERY powerful, but harmless to enemies. Very useful, but leaves you open to enemy fire.

CREDITS:
Oh where to start first! So many wonderful people made this project possible. (In no particular order):

The Decaying Soldat - Early beta art. Not used for the current style of this project, but I plan to implement his more Coalition-looking style in the future.

mail2345 - One helluva guy, spent many hours creating the Crushfist lua code. The weapon wouldn't be here without him.

LowestFormOfWit - Created the Dummy Behemoth, which inspired me to make the Punisher and I used the Behemoth as a framework to build the Punisher on.

MaximDude - HUGE thanks to MaximDude, who in the end made this project possible. He created all the Punisher actor and weapon sprites. If not for him, this mod would never have been released. (NOTE: I slightly altered one of his versions of the Purger. That is the version currently in use)

CaveCricket48 - Created the lua code necessary for Justice to function. Created the anti-crouch code. Created the improved drone behavior code.

Benpasko - Beta testing.

PhantomAGN - Helped my justice lua thread take off and spent many hours attempting to create the Justice lua script, resulting in some very hilarious(but broken) versions.

And finally, the download! ENJOY!
Feedback very much welcome, I will continue to fix whatever bugs there may be(none known currently) and improve upon the Punisher.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Grab is now activated with Sharpaim, not F
DOWNLOAD FOR CC1.05 >> http://www.mediafire.com/?akab28i8fiqw8db <<
VERSION WITH GRAB MAPPED TO F
http://www.mediafire.com/?afr22n97207yo2k

Attachments:
File comment: V1.0
CoalitionPunisher.rte.rar [1.15 MiB]
Downloaded 2819 times
File comment: V1.5
CoalitionPunisherV15.rte.rar [1.15 MiB]
Downloaded 5736 times
File comment: V1.5.1 for B26
CoalitionPunisherV151.rte.rar [1.15 MiB]
Downloaded 3027 times

Last edited by Foogooman on Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 am, edited 11 times in total.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: The (Coalition) Punisher - Heavy brain robot (v1.0)
Wow that is nice OP.
Very fun, though it doesnt feel coalition enough..
Needs moar green and white. The rocket fist and the throwing fist were my faves, with a little more spriting this thing will be damn fine.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 am
Profile WWW

Geti wrote:
Wow that is nice OP.
Very fun, though it doesnt feel coalition enough..
Needs moar green and white. The rocket fist and the throwing fist were my faves, with a little more spriting this thing will be damn fine.

Thanks! :D

Well, that's why it's "The '(Coalition)' Punisher". And like I said in the story section, "Forged from desperation and necessity, the Coalition had no time to outfit it with the Coalition colors."

It's not strictly Coalition yet, but it works for a good story and gives me room to expand on it with new sprites in the future. And besides, the sprites are damn good as they are. Just don't think of it as Coalition if it helps you cope :P

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 am
Profile WWW

Huzzah, credit for making things that are entertaining and useless.
Glad to help something as fun as this come together.

I will now return to battling waves of the Dummy Behemoth with this guy.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:12 am

Congrats on the release!
Now, to duel Behmoths.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:25 am

Aside from this mod already being a complete rip-off of another certain robot, I'd like to point out that you ignored my statement where I said to remove the hands that were shamelessly ripped from me without permission and painted an ugly gunmetal. (P.S. Changing like 5 pixels in them doesn't cut it.)

Yet these persist in your mod:

Aside from that, carry on.

EDIT: Also, that last GIF where you blow yourself up you can see my original Rocket Fist coming out of it. Might want to remove that as well to lessen this whole rip-off thing.

Last edited by LowestFormOfWit on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:36 am

LowestFormOfWit wrote:
Aside from this mod already being a complete rip-off of another certain robot, I'd like to point out that you ignored my statement where I said to remove the hands that were shamelessly ripped from me without permission and painted an ugly gunmetal.

Yet these persist in your mod:

Aside from that, carry on.

It's a tribute, if anything. Something to use with and against your Behemoth when playing. A rival, of sorts. It's nice to have two robots of a similar concept and have them fight each other.

MaximDude had sent me a new version of the hands but I didn't see it on the spritesheet and I mistook the old version for the new one. I had already implemented it into the sprites by the time I realized. If your panties are really that much in a bunch over it, I can change it.

The background hand is similar only in the fact that it is a hand at all. It's not at all similar to your background hand. Hand width, finger width, finger spacing, finger length, hand size, everything is different.

And honestly, I did mean to credit you for the idea and basic template. I'll add it to the OP.

EDIT: As for the fist coming out, it's no secret I built this mod off your Behemoth. What's the point of starting from scratch if it's going to end up the same way anyways? I used your Behemoth as a framework to build the Punisher off of. In the end, it became something totally different in every meaningful way.

EDIT 2: My Punisher is no more a ripoff of the Behemoth than your Behemoth is a ripoff of Zalo's giant clone. You used the giant clone as a framework in the exact same way I used your Behemoth.

As a second point, I didn't ripoff your idea of the Behemoth any more than your ripped off my idea of the Crushfist. Soon after I PMed you about wanting to release my Behemoth version with the crush fist, you went to Grif and asked him to help you make the exact same weapon.

In conclusion, neither the code or the idea of the Punisher are any more a ripoff than your Behemoth is a ripoff of other people's code and ideas. You added new weapons, code, and sprites onto Zalo's giant clone. I added new weapons, code, and sprites onto your Behemoth. It's the exact same thing. The only difference being that I accidentally used a resprite of the hand on your Behemoth, that's all.

Last edited by Foogooman on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:42 am
Profile WWW

It's not so much about being in a wad about it as it is a "work put in" matter.

The original Behemoth was ugly as sin. If you dig up my first mock-up in Mod Making you'll see it.
It went through constant revision and re-spriting. My hands were probably the most frustrating.
Below is the slow progression of them summed up, shown through the versions:
It took longer than I'd like to admit to work them up, but it was work nonetheless, and to see it pasted over with some monochrome near-pillow shading would bother anyone.

Perhaps it's just my opinion that someone's own work should be their own.

Either way, this is my last comment on this mod. I'm going to sleep now.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 am

Bottom line LFOW, if you're going to make a big deal of it, I can change the hand. It's the last physical tie to your Behemoth, and I'll change it if it will stop this little feud. Or we could just agree to disagree and drop it. It was an honest mistake using the re-colored version of your hand sprite.

I'd rather not change the hand, obviously, because it's a pain to do so and it's such an insignificant detail. It's up to you.

EDIT:

I am exchanging PMs with LFOW, this topic will no longer be used as a place for us to bicker. I'd appreciate it if you all could just ignore the exchange between LFOW and I. I am requesting that both our posts on the subject be removed.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 am
Profile WWW

HELL YEAH! FINALLY!
I love you.

EDIT:
Can it steal plate armor?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:05 pm

I think this is amazing. Probably the best mod release I've seen in so long. Everyone who contributed did fantastically. Now to create a skirmish battle where it's me and my base defending against one of these bad mothers trying to destroy my brain.

And this whole "OMG you stoled my ideas!11!11one" argument makes me giggle a little bit, but I guess if I created anything half decent I would be protective of it.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 pm

joost1120 wrote:
HELL YEAH! FINALLY!
I love you.

EDIT:
Can it steal plate armor?

Love you too <3

And you'll have to ask Maxim, they're his sprites.

Ameefmu wrote:
I think this is amazing. Probably the best mod release I've seen in so long. Everyone who contributed did fantastically. Now to create a skirmish battle where it's me and my base defending against one of these bad mothers trying to destroy my brain.

Thanks, I really appreciate that :D
And yes, everyone who helped did a great job. Never could have gotten this far without them, or have it be nearly this good.
I've never actually fought against the Punisher, I'll have to do that tomorrow. I'm curious to see how well the AI handles it.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 pm
Profile WWW

Finally, the official release! I gotta say, everyone should give this a try. Especially since the new version of LFoW's Behemoth is stronger than ever, it's great for 1v1 fights. Now someone just needs to make a rampage scene. I still must say I like this one more than the original Behemoth, because I enjoy the non-explosive rocket fist, the justice, and the crush fist. I can go into concrete pit, and just maul Zombots with the crush fist for forever, and it's amazingly fun. Thanks for all the good work, Foogooman.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Benpasko wrote:
Finally, the official release! I gotta say, everyone should give this a try. Especially since the new version of LFoW's Behemoth is stronger than ever, it's great for 1v1 fights. Now someone just needs to make a rampage scene. I still must say I like this one more than the original Behemoth, because I enjoy the non-explosive rocket fist, the justice, and the crush fist. I can go into concrete pit, and just maul Zombots with the crush fist for forever, and it's amazingly fun. Thanks for all the good work, Foogooman.

You're welcome Benpasko, I'm glad everyone is enjoying it :D
But don't just thank me, I can't give enough credit to everyone else who helped make this mod possible-- yourself included ;)

But to hear you're all enjoying it makes me very happy, all I ever wanted from this mod was for people to enjoy it. It's never been about anything else, except for maybe one-upping LFOW after he told me I couldn't release it as an alternate Behemoth version. So I appreciate the comment about liking the Punisher more as well :P

But as long as the community enjoys the mod, I'm happy.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 pm
Profile WWW

Foogoo, it's spelled steel, not steal :wink:

Anyways, great job, though couple of the weapons are straight rip off from the behemoth.
Oh, and it has fantastic effects! You have sereusly put some effort to them.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next