View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49  Next
 Sprite Help Thread 

Post Re: Sprite Help Thread
Contrary wrote:
Coops9753 wrote:
going for a Bullpup design/LMG-ish Look

Here you go. I think the main problem was the barrel length. LMG's generally have fairly long barrels, as mobility is no longer a concern. Bullpups especially can afford to have hella long barrels as the magazine/clip (whatever don't yell at me) is behind the trigger. I also lengthened the mag/clip as this an LMG, and it shold have a large ammo capacity.

I made a quick edit so you can see what I mean.

I didn't really like how the back was as high as the front rails, it gave it a bunched up look which can be good or bad depending on the rest of your faction. I think this lankier look goes better with your standard trooper (the one I like the most) so take from this what you want.

Looks much better than my fix.. Now, i already have a Mag for it i just didnt put it in the sprite with it (maybe that was my bad :-() Also i didnt really intend the purpose of the bullpup design because that design was made mostly for troops that are left handed, one more thing is i think i like the green highlights on the ironsights.. it looks cool on the guns in real time in the game and gives it a bit of a 'futuristic' look

other than that thank you very much

Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 am

Oh yeah, I think that the green bits just didn't mesh well with the eyerape pink background.

And I'm sure you picked up on the shading changes, but I think I'll sum it up for the benefit of others. I incorporated some of the shades of orange that you were only using on the stock into the foregrip- you could even add a pixel or two of the brightest colour on to it as well, but I wasn't sure if you wanted to make a distinction. I don't really like the inconsistency of having a certain amount of shades per colour here, but not there. I added some black into some of the brown/orange and used the outlines as part of the shading.

Of course feel free to disagree with anything, style is a personal thing.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:06 am

Alright, well here are my FootPlates for my Heavy but people didnt like them, so i patched them up a bit..

Anything to add? or take away?

Attachment:
Sprite.bmp [2.07 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:44 am

Hey! The shading on that it pretty good. I'll be honest and say that I just plain don't like the design or concept of these ankle plates, but otherwise it looks pretty good to me. I think that maybe you could go for a duller bg piece rather than a darker one and that you could cut down on the number of shades- but really it looks good to me.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 am

Great cause the old ones just poped out like the jokers face... people hated it and i decided to freshen them up. Im thinking of a complete new shape that kinda contours the ankle to give a better look. but great thx, i was pretty proud that i could do that.. :grin:

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 am

I suck at sprites most of the time but I really like how this one is going, any advice on how to improve it?
(here is the concept art so you get the idea of what it is http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7323/r ... mboile.jpg .)

Attachments:
boillerafter pallete and some twecking.bmp [9.82 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
boiller before pallete.bmp [29.58 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:42 pm
Profile WWW

gtaiiilc wrote:
I suck at sprites most of the time but I really like how this one is going, any advice on how to improve it?
(here is the concept art so you get the idea of what it is http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7323/r ... mboile.jpg .)

Apart from being much much larger than I thought that concept art was, the boiler actually looks very nice. The only things that look like they need real work are definition on the rivets and bolts, highlights on the black line in the middle to define the gap more, and shading on the very thick black outline.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 pm

The boiler is too dark, try adding more colors in there, from black to a light grey.
Giant sprites don't tend to work that way in CC, if you look at the rocket, or the dropship, the light is coming from the viewer.

Speaking of giant sprites, that's a little large.

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:23 am
Profile WWW

Please, help us with sprites. In other thread people said, that we need to fix hair, torso, and maybe add some shading. I think it needs a lot of correction. Please tell what's wrong with sprites and help with fixing. Thanks in advance

Attachments:
File comment: Sprites
Yoko.rar [31.66 KiB]
Downloaded 406 times
Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:32 pm
Profile ICQ

1. It's a lot easier for us to help with sprites if you put them in a sheet rather than making use download an rte and working on them individually.
2. The DL doesn't work.
3. Gurren Lagann is ♥♥♥♥ amazing +20 points.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 am

Contrary wrote:
1. It's a lot easier for us to help with sprites if you put them in a sheet

Am I doing it right?

Attachments:
sprite.bmp
sprite.bmp [ 114.31 KiB | Viewed 9961 times ]
Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm
Profile ICQ

I tried to put this helmet in the coalition, but when he looks right, his head disappears and in its place appears a white square.
And when he looks left his head and helmet are blurred.
Attachment:
HelmetC.bmp [670 Bytes]
Not downloaded yet

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Your sprite is not in palette. Try this.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

Also that large white space needs to be pink if you want it to be transparent.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:45 am

ZaLiZo: Alright, looks real good for what I'm assuming are your first pixels. I'll be frank and say the shading isn't there, but the lineart is good, and that's the hard part. As a whole, it doesn't look bad.

But the shading, or lack thereof, is where you need to improve. Look at some Vanilla (default non-mod content) sprites and you will see that you never see the same colour grouped together for more than 2 or 3 pixels. Now this isn't a spriting requirement, but it's the direction you should be going in. Add more shades. You don't want parts being all one shade, as you have done in the case of the gun and the background arm.

Turn the lights on and hold out your arms in front of you. Look at how they are brightest close to the middle. Not the exact middle, but the part that is closest to the light. That's the first thing you need to know about shading. I suggest you have a look at some of the spriting tutorials in the OP.

Another thing is outlines. On your BG (background) arms and both feet, there are none to speak of. They are important for contrasting your sprite with the background. Another thing is that you generally want your outlines to be as thin as possible. I see especially on your legs you have a number of cases where you have three pixels touching, forming an L shape like this:
Code:
O
OO

Sometimes you want this, but I think that your sprites would generally improve if you opted to take out the furthermost bottom left pixel. As well as that you need to have softer lines. In the legs you have a number of sharp corners. Try using MSPaint to draw a circle. Study the way it makes squarish blocks into a smooth artifact.

I have also enclosed a head so that you can see how to draw eyes.

And normally I'd edit yours a little to make it the way I'm taking about or at least nudge you in the right direction. But uhh... I have to read a book I haven't started for tomorrow, so please excuse me.

Attachments:
some head.PNG [445 Bytes]
Not downloaded yet

Last edited by Contrary on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49  Next