View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 EXILE Development 

Post EXILE Development
Current art direction:

Basically, the idea is to produce a game loosely based upon This design document.
A few thoughts:
I'm not sure weather to do the whole "chunks" thing for terrain or not, it could be a fantastic idea or it could A) harm creative direction in the game and B) take ages to implement properly. I think it could work for areas that are intended as destructible (large rocks etc).
One thing I want to focus on is the whole sediements/plants being destructible objects. Anyway, have to go, just wanted to get the thread up.

RewindEDIT: I'd probably drop the sepia tones of the landscape and pick up some more vibrant colours like Arne did in his mockups/sketches, but still, I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. If I do go through with it, I'd definitely keep the rougher style going. Probably have to make the characters "pop" more (shoots self for using that word).

MORE EDIT: Nice to see interest in this, I'll likely get a github up at some point over the next week. Thanks to duh for the merge

Last edited by Geti on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:07 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Merged: Art Dump
y'know actually know that I think about it I believe arne did mention specific screens rather than singlescreen

but DAMN singlescreening through that would be awesome

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:00 am

What is specific screen and singlescreen? Or rather the difference between the two? Sorry if I'm not contributing to the thread/going off topic, but I am bereft of understanding here.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:03 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

I'm referring to a scrolling ("single") screen that contains the entire game world. If Geti goes by the scale of the original map arne posted, that would be approximately HOLY ♥♥♥♥ huge.

Multiple screens = you hit the edge of the screen and move to the next "room" within the world.

not sure why I didn't just use scrolling in the first place

-shrug-

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:08 am

OH, multi-screen like in the 2d LoZ games, kinda? And the example of the scrolling would be somthing like what CC is now?

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:10 am

Yeah, with scrolling in a single screen the whole thing becomes a nigh-on-unmanageable size (and also kick your VRAM in the face if it's all loaded at once), but even just working in "regions" with scrolling etc would simplify it enough to be manageable... I'll definitely scale down the world size a lot, there's no way I'm painting that many screens for something I'm going to make minimal profit on, but if the scale in that image is reasonable I've already got a shrunk map drawn up (done on paper though, I'll get a photo in a bit).
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1278883195 Here's an example of multiscreening something with no scrolling, controls are L+R for movement, z for jump, x for crouch (or roll while moving) and the up and down arrows for moving between screens on the Z axis.

@grif: If I do the game at that scale exactly (well, not exactly, but getting there) with 1000x700px as the resolution and missing a little bit at the bottom for the HUD, there's no issues, yeah? Regions would be arbitrary size and moving between them would happen based on hitting a sensor piece of geometry that basically just plonks you into the region it's programmed to with some fade in/out, and there could also be doors to "rooms" in the background which would likely be smaller than 1000x700 for simplicity. God there's a lot of work right there <_< do-able though.

If I do do this, would other forum members be keen to help out with whatever? like chopping up images, maybe some bug-hunting if I do it in a language people know (I might do flash to make it accessible and prove that good, non-casual games can be made in it, same reason I'm planning on doing the partisan thing in flash. Anyone know AS3.0 well?), heck, I could use some people coding with me but I'm assuming you're all lazy anyway. Yes? No? Maybe? I can probably do all the necessary painting etc, but I'd enjoy not having to do all the processing.
I'd basically dump a series of layers in a .psd, or an animation or something, and you'd have to save the layers as .pngs or grab all the sprites and align them to a common grid. I'd use github for convenience. So basically, all the boring stuff :P

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:59 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

I could likely "help" with coding somewhat. I'm "helping" TLB make a vidjagame now, also.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:06 am

Ever touched actionscript? It's kind of like java, I suppose, they're both ECMAScript based or whatever... I like seeing TLB and stuff around tigsource, it makes me feel like the internet is smaller than it is, and I like small networks, so that's a good thing.
Might start on this tomorrow rather than do MiniLudumDare. Could be fun to have a small prototype on that screen.

ACTUALLY
♥♥♥♥ flash, I'll do it in love, because I just remembered what a pain Box2D is to get integrated into Flixel and I've plundered the hell out of the only copy I have with that done already. FFFUUU- if anyone wants to do that for me it'll mean it's easier to share with you (no downloading to drive, everyone lives in their internet browser anyway) otherwise I'll likely just do it in love for the sake of having everything pre-implemented. Going back to lua should be comfortable anyway, though the whole no classes unless you feel like using metatables thing is shitty. ffff

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:16 am
Profile WWW
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Love sounds good. You should throw up a thread (and a dropbox shared folder)

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:39 am
happy carebear mom

Geti wrote:
I can probably do all the necessary painting etc, but I'd enjoy not having to do all the processing.
I'd basically dump a series of layers in a .psd, or an animation or something, and you'd have to save the layers as .pngs or grab all the sprites and align them to a common grid. I'd use github for convenience. So basically, all the boring stuff :P

I'm good at boring stuff. Sadly, I'm not good at the coding stuff.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:44 am

If you ever need assistance with any art, I can probably help out. Might take a while for me to get back to you, I'm pretty busy just living my life. >_>

Perfectly willing to beta/alpha test.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:52 am
Profile WWW

Post EXILE Development
-snip-

Last edited by Geti on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:32 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: EXILE Development
Do minor terrain displacement. Nothing major like CC, just something.... less.

It looks beautiful man, keep it up.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

I love you geti with all my soul.

If this turns out anywhere near as epic as meteor pirate island game it's going to be pure win.
Up for sprite work if needed.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:05 pm

I think a moderator should move a few of the posts about this from the art thread here.

I'm already making a game engine similar to what you are talking about, I also have an image splitter that splits the image into 160*120 tiles, with a foreground, terrain and background layer, the terrain isn't destructible, but objects and stuff will be so walls and stuff can be made destructible. The game is pretty modular and has a CC-like file/module system. The game will have big huge zone maps only loading terrain chunks when needed (rather than the whole map), new zones will travelled to by transport and stuff (trains and possibly more, similar to paper mario).

So yeah if you need help I would love to work on Exile, especially if Arne was occasionally providing input.

edit: read you're wanting to do it love, I'm a c++ man, plus isn't this game a bit too hardcore for love?

Last edited by robolee on Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next