View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:10 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Psychic Powers 
Loose Canon

Post Psychic Powers
Sooooo...
Throw out any ideas for psychic powers you have.
Ok, so. I've got an idea for a Psychic RtD. I need to make a tech tree for psychic abilities. It'll have two main trees; Physical and Mental. Abilities will be upgradable, and can branch off into new, different powers.

PHYSICAL: Everything to do with affecting the world. Any kinesises go in here, so do Psionics and what I'll call Negation.
Telekinesis: The staple psychic power. Controlling the movement of objects with your mind. Upgrading increases range, force, precision, etc. Possible offshoot abilities include stopping objects in an area (Like Neo with the bullets), flight, and increased physical performance.
Pyrokinesis: Burnin' things. Starts off as just being able to create flames, upgrades include making bigger fire, hotter fire, and actually controlling the fire, rather than just making it. Offshoots include control of Temperature rather than just fire and at higher levels controlling cold as well as heat.
Technokinesis: Control over technology. At first, you won't be controlling so much as entering, looking, and understanding. Upgrades include editing data in electronics and applying electrical currents to wires (to make things run/turn on). At higher levels, offshoots include controlling magnetism and, with telekinesis, reshaping and moving technology. Yes, this means that at high levels you can make yourself robot suits.
Psionics: Materializing psychic energy to affect the real world. Making solid objects from psychic energy. Things like shields, blades, lasers, etc. Also includes a few Mental powers. Upgrades increase the strength and size of psionic objects, along with their possible complexity. At max, a sniper rifle made of psychic energy is possible. Offshoots include flight, minor telekinesis, and shielding. Mental powers include forcing a person to a different state of consciousness, and generally rougher abilities that can damage a person's mind.
Negation: Cancelling out psychic abilities. If you have invested heavily in this, you'll be able to counter many different kinds of psychic attacks, but some abilities may interfere with your own powers. Upgrades include what kind of abilities you can block, the range and strength of the block, and etc. Offshoots include damaging an opponents' mind and ability to use psychic powers, memory erasing, and general mind-screwery.

MENTAL: Anything to do with affecting the mind. This can be an opponents mind or your own mind. Mind Reading, Mind Control, Clairvoyance, Mind Enhancement, and Mental Warfare slot into this.
Mind Reading: Reading minds. Not hard. Upgrades include finding more information, reading the opponents' senses, and breaking through mental barriers more easily. Offshoots include establishing mental defenses of your own, and with some points in Mind Control, altering what the opponent perceives.
Mind Control: Altering the opponents mind. Brainwashing, editing memories, creating illusions, making them do things for you. Upgrades include different ways to control their minds, and the strength of these ways. Offshoots are primarily related to other fields of psychic abilities.
Clairvoyance: Seeing or predicting the future, or things that are happening in other locations. Upgrades include distance you can look, and how far in the future you can see. Offshoots include augmenting reflexes with clairvoyance to dodge attacks and combining with Mind Control to psyche out enemies.
Mind Enhancement: Enhancing your mind to assist in other things. Includes mental defenses, reaction speed, mental capacity, things like that.
Mental Warfare: Fighting in your own or your opponents' mind. Damaging their psyche, editing their emotions, basically anything that could break or render them useless mentally.

There is some overlap in abilities, but that's kinda intended. If you're a full on Psionic user, then you've got a few mental options in addition to just smashing the ♥♥♥♥ out of things. So yeah, ideas for upgrades, offshoots, or additional branches are all welcome. Any suggestions at all really.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Psychic Powers
Powers
  • Mind reading
  • 'Kinesis' (pyschokinesis, pyrokinesis, cryokinesis, and so forth)
  • Mind control
  • Levitation
  • Telepathy
  • Teleportation
  • ESP/Clairvoyance

Kinesis List
  • Psychokinesis - Generation of physical force; manipulating objects through space at will.
  • Pyrokinesis - Generation and manipulation of fire.
  • Cryokinesis - Generation and manipulation of ice.
  • Hydrokinesis - Generation and manipulation of water.
  • Geokinesis - Generation and manipulation of earth.
  • Aerokinesis - Generation and manipulation of air.
  • Electrokinesis - Generation and manipulation of electricity.
  • Heliokinesis - Generation and manipulation of light.
  • Umbrakinesis - Generation and manipulation of shadows.
  • Probably don't really have to list more. You get the picture.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 am

Creating illusions. Makes people see something that's not there, OR makes something look like something else.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:04 am

I think the greatest psychic power would be the ability to create objects out of thin air. Thus, with enough imagination, one could be virtually invincible.
For example, take the green lantern. He has the power to do anything, yet he's still a lame superhero. Go figure.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:42 am

Manifestation of objects, and other powers.
Truly the best power EVA. With this you will become a GOD.
And since its based on thoughts its a psychic power. :P

Calm down with dem smiley faces, boy.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:02 am
Loose Canon

Updated OP.
Also, the "Create stuff from thin air" and "Gain any ability" sort of powers are not only stupid but incredibly unbalanced. I'm not even gonna consider putting them into a serious RtD.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:35 am
Profile WWW

I dunno, seems like you've covered everything that isn't patently ridiculous. If I think of anything I'll mention it. Hmmm...it seems a bit too similar to psionics or technokinesis, but there's always electrokinesis. ZAPPITY ZAP-ZAP! Oh, and I remember from D&D the whole 'psychic metabolism' thing or whatever - don't remember specifics, but you could have an upgrade path that was all about modifying your physical capabilities with psychic shiz.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 am

I'm in.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:13 am
Profile WWW

...Go on?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:26 am

Just reserving a place in the RtD.

You missed a whole branch in the physical section- physical strength and abilities. You know, channeling psychic energy into your body to become stronger and faster. All of that.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

I'd prefer to stay away from body enhancement, since it doesn't seem all that psychic.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm
Profile WWW

Do you think you could stick wires in psychic people and use them as batteries
I hope so

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 pm

Negation power would be the best for melee,since you can screw the enemies mind/screw their powers by just touching them

Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:09 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

There's a whole list of kinesis types here.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:05 pm
Loose Canon

I'll be staying away from thousands of kinesises this time. I'll have a few of the more well known ones, but not gonna have a huge array of em.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next