View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next
 WH40k discussion 

Post Re: Thinkin' about buying some Warhammer 40k models
I usually don't, because I like the dirty look. What were you trying to achieve with the wash? A little shade in a corner? Because then you watering down wouldn't be necessary, just a very fine brush.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

I was also going for the dirty look, but it got a bit excessive. I've been having more luck by simply applying chaos black and then smearing it with my finger.

What do you think about ultramarines? I'm still considering if I should go for blood angels or ultras.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Ultra's can be very awesome when executed well, but if you don't want to spend too much time on making them individually awesome and everything, I'd go for the blood angels, who can be very cool as well, but with less work. They have such nice new models, like the sanquinary guard, death company, furiosos and the stormraven.
Tactically speaking the blood angels are better as well, because they have all the units the ultra's have access to and a few more. And the black rage rule which can randomly boost them in close combat.

So yeah, would be blood angels for me, or maybe one of their successors, if you don't like the color scheme.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks for the tips man, really appreciate it. You're also quite dead on with the color scheme bit. I haven't gone straight into the blood angels because, well, bright red doesn't look very appropriate for a 2 meter tall space marine.

I may endeavor into the Angels Encarmine though.

Maart3n wrote:
Renegades, siege of fraks part 1 codex, so I also get to field a squad of true scale marines and a macharius.

I'm also rather interested in seeing some of those truescales you're working on, if it isn't too much to ask.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 pm

White sanquinary guard can look so awesome, just a little dirt and you have some the most awesome models on the table.

Pics of the true scales coming up someday, when I get some reasonable conditions to photograph them and some of the other stuff I have around. Nothing painted yet though.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:56 am

I'd be rather pleased to see some of your work.

Test ultra:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TN2A46a-deE/T ... CN0147.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jg9ZxdM-gO8/T ... CN0145.JPG

This guy took me about 3 hours. A whole tub of mistakes and not very pleasing to the eye, but I ended up learning quite a bit. Will add some rocks, dirt and grass later, as well as a devlan mud wash.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm

I have a tabletop related question, is it against the rules to make custom chapters and stuff like that?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:08 pm

111herbert111 wrote:
I have a tabletop related question, is it against the rules to make custom chapters and stuff like that?

No, as long as they can fit in with a rule book you are okay. I am fairly sure that if atleast half of a model is produced by Games Workshop, you are allowed to use it in a tournament. So yeah.

And Foil, that looks quite good. I hate those studded shoulderpads, impossible to paint without looking shabby. Your paintjob is quite crisp, looks okay. Why didn't you paint the backside of the trim on his right pad?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 am

I did, it's just a bit older picture. About the pads, well, I just put them on before I found out that those were pretty much for the beakies and on the left shoulder.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Double post, due to lack of thread content.

Poses, how to they work.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:19 am

*Dramatic pose whilst standing on bits of Skor!*
but seriously I can't offer much of an expert opinion but I think it looks pretty sweet, but of course it would look even better with a "beakie" helmet.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:16 am

I think I may as well use the same posing thing for one of the sergeants. I've come to absolutely hate beakies. I'm not entirely sure why, but the helmet shape just looks ridiculous to me.

Also, just got my mini-squad in the mail today. Time to finally see if I'm going with ultras, blood angels or Angels Encarmine.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm

FoiL wrote:
I've come to absolutely hate beakies. I'm not entirely sure why, but the helmet shape just looks ridiculous to me.

I feel exactly the same way.

Got the pictures you asked for right here. This is the first marine to be fully assembled. Greenstuffing is shabby as hell.
It's practically a pair of terminator legs with the gaps closed, then a marine body stuck on top. In case you have an open armed pose a new belt is needed because both the legs and the body have a belt.

Oh and as a bonus: My up scaled terminator lord, yes he has a gatling cannon, no I won't use him in normal games.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:25 pm

The regular guy looks pretty good. The only "weird" part is really the arms, since they look a bit thiner than they should.

The terminator lord is superb and very game worthy. Not sure about what is class would be though.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 pm

i just got some ultramarines next time i go i will get some assault marines aka. beakys

im pretty bad at painting and they loom bad but oh well i have only ever done 3 models :P

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 689 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next