View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 A better xbox 360 configuration 

Post A better xbox 360 configuration
My friends and I love playing Cortex Command in multiplayer, and that's really only possible when using game controllers, such as xbox 360 controllers.
However the in-game configuration options for the 360 controller aren't very good.

For reference, here is what a typical configuration looks like:

Downsides of this setup:

• No usage of the letter buttons:
    • In menus I always want to use the A button to accept. Instead you need to use the right trigger. Yuck!

• No way to fine-tune aiming:
    • Joysticks alone cannot aim well in cortex. Try fine-aiming a heavy sniper rifle. You're restricted to 5° increments of rotation, if not larger.

• Issues with movement:
    • If you set movement to the joystick It makes using the jet-pack difficult at best.
    • If you set movement to the d-pad, it gives you less movement control, and makes using the pie menu impossible

All of these issues stem from the in-game configuration not giving us enough options, like 'overloading' an ability to both a joystick's axis as well as a button.
Also some options, like the 'aim' button aren't even asked about in-game. All of these can be fixed by manually editing Base.rte/Settings.ini.

Here is the setup I ended up using, new configurations highlighted:

With this setup:

• You can use 'A' to accept menus.

• You can move accurately with the left stick, and when needed use the jetpack well with 'B'

• You can fine-tune your aim by 'click'ing the right joystick, and aiming up and down with the d-pad
    • Bonus: this allows you to accurately scroll menus with the d-pad too.

Note: although the right stick has 'Aim Up' and 'Aim Down' Really those should be named 'Look Up' and 'Look Down' in the in-game configurations, since they are different from the fine-tune 'Aim Up' and 'Aim Down'

Here are the configurations:
Attachment:
File comment: Custom configuration for 360 Controller
360 custom configuration.txt [1.36 KiB]
Downloaded 1457 times

You will need to put that in Base.rte/Settings.ini. It's ok to just replace the existing values since the default keyboard/mouse controls will get re-added automatically. You will need to paste this after the 'Device = #' line of each user, and increment the # for each user, starting with 2 for the first.

And for anyone curious, here are the values that you will need to use if you want to make your own configurations:
Attachment:
File comment: The values for all buttons and axis on a 360 controller
360 controller values.txt [1.16 KiB]
Downloaded 1122 times

Note: as mentioned above everything is either a Joystick axis, or a button. An axis has three necessary lines of code, a button has only one. You can have one axis, and one button per 'ability' (triggers and the d-pad count as axis)

For example, if you want to shoot with both A and the right trigger you will need to have the following in the Settings.ini file:
Code:
      Fire = InputMapping
         StickMap = 0      //Right Trigger
         AxisMap = 2       //Right Trigger
         DirectionMap = 0  //Right Trigger
         JoyButtonMap = 0  //A Button

Also, It would be awesome if these options could be included as a 'preset' in future builds. i've attached the PSD I made for the above diagrams, as well as an extra-large version of the 360 controller for your use:
Attachment:
File comment: 360 Controller layout template
Advanced_configuration.psd [1.77 MiB]
Downloaded 997 times

Attachment:
File comment: PSD for large 360 controller
xbox_360_controller.psd.zip [9.34 MiB]
Downloaded 939 times

Lastly I give anyone that wants to permission to re-use these graphics, privately as well as commercially (that includes you DataRealms Image )

Last edited by Johannes on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:21 am
REAL AMERICAN HERO

Post Re: A better xbox 360 configuration
Well goddamn.

That's easily the best first post I've ever seen anyone make, ever. I mean, goddamn.

You identified a problem, took to solving it yourself, and devised an excellent solution, which you're now sharing.

I seriously can't get over how awesome that is. Thank you for the control binding, and I think the dev team might point out this post to Data.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Grif wrote:
Well goddamn.

That's easily the best first post I've ever seen anyone make, ever. I mean, goddamn.

You identified a problem, took to solving it yourself, and devised an excellent solution, which you're now sharing.

I seriously can't get over how awesome that is. Thank you for the control binding, and I think the dev team might point out this post to Data.

Thanks! coming from you that means a lot :grin:
I've been around on the forums as a lurker for quite some time, but didn't feel I had anything useful to contribute until now.

The controller configurations have always bugged me, but it wasn't until recently that I had time to sit down and work at it.
I actually had to make the 'controller values' text file as a cheat sheet for myself so I could fiddle with the settings quickly, and it still took me a few hours of tuning.

As for the extent of the post, I figured people don't normally pay much attention until you show them pretty pictures, so I just whipped some up. :wink:

One thing that I would like to possibly see added to Settings.ini in the future are weapon 'abilities' like reload, drop/pickup and prev/next weapon.
Even if not all of them are ever used, it would be fun to allow users access to them.
Given my above configurations I'd probably set prev/next weapon to the dpad's left and right, and 'pick up weapon' to the left stick's Click.

Last edited by Johannes on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Allow me to be the second person here to shake your hand. I've been trying to get a good controller configuration for ages, and I think you've got it perfectly tuned.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:38 pm
REAL AMERICAN HERO

I'm fairly sure that variable 'macros', like you just suggested, will be, if not directly supported by the game, possible due to extensions of Lua support.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Actually this will help alot when i get my 360 controller working with my laptop
so, thanks!

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:11 am

That's... well, wow. Welcome to the community, good sir, we look forward to having a productive member like you.

As to the configuration itself, I'd say it's a mighty fine job. I'm not a fan of using controllers myself (keyboard lover), but it'll certainly come in handy when I bring all me ole' pals over to a bit of group fun.
I would suggest swtiching A and B, since jumping with the bottom button is the usual setup, but I reckon it'd make using the menus a bit awkard. So yeah, it looks really good as of now.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:08 am
Profile WWW

Areku wrote:
That's... well, wow. Welcome to the community, good sir, we look forward to having a productive member like you.

As to the configuration itself, I'd say it's a mighty fine job. I'm not a fan of using controllers myself (keyboard lover), but it'll certainly come in handy when I bring all me ole' pals over to a bit of group fun.
I would suggest swtiching A and B, since jumping with the bottom button is the usual setup, but I reckon it'd make using the menus a bit awkard. So yeah, it looks really good as of now.

I have to agree, I personally will always prefer a keyboard+mouse over a controller. It's just unfortunate that CC does not support multiple mice (as games like hammerfight do), so for 4-player split-screen there is really no other option.

I spent a long (long) time testing out other configurations, such as having jump on the left trigger or the shoulder buttons, and I went back and forth between having A be jump or fire a few times, but this is what I ended up being the most satisfied with.

Cheers again for the compliments =)

Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 pm

If only more games had play-testers like you, making constant iterations on good ideas.

Cheers for the incredible amount of hard work you put in for making a controller style for us!

I'm sure I'll be using it a lot, once I can found out how to get my darn xbox controller connected to my computer. :cry:

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:50 am
Profile WWW

vista, you cant do it very well
if you have XP, you have to cut the xbox ctrl cable, and hook it up to a usb cord, by cutting that and soldering them.
then you have to get the XBCD driver from the internet.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Or you could try not wasting your money and time by getting a wireless controller receiver for your computer.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:43 am

Or you could use the vastly superior Playstation controller.

Or even just a cheap $20 Logitech controller.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:01 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

This is excellent feedback and I'll be sure to consider it when revamping the control config menus and schemes.. they are due for it!

- D

Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 am
Profile ICQ

bioemerl wrote:
vista, you cant do it very well
if you have XP, you have to cut the xbox ctrl cable, and hook it up to a usb cord, by cutting that and soldering them.
then you have to get the XBCD driver from the internet.

Erg, yeah I tried that once, it didn't work :-(

Also You would probably have to figure out the mapping again yourself, since the buttons are slightly different.

Really the best thing is saving yourself the trouble and getting a usb 360 controller or a wireless adapter for the wireless 360 controllers. (as hobbesy said already)

Contrary wrote:
Or you could use the vastly superior Playstation controller.

I respectfully disagree :P the playstation controllers just don't fit my hand at all, while the 360 controllers are truly the perfect shape for me personally.

Data wrote:
This is excellent feedback and I'll be sure to consider it when revamping the control config menus and schemes.. they are due for it!

- D

That is fantastic news!

My personal request would be that the game should be as accessible and enjoyable when using a controller as with the mouse/keyboard.

Things that you may want to consider:
  • Make it a goal make navigating all the menus with a controller easy and straightforward.
    • Currently the player has to move the cursor with their controller. A better alternative would be to skip the cursor and allow them to just use the d-pad if they wanted to. Just allow both.
  • I cannot stress redundancies enough, where you do the same thing in multiple ways (Ie both an axis and a button to jump, or being able to navigate the buy menu with both the look stick and the d-pad). Different players have different play-styles, and you can make more of them happy this way.
  • Check out games like trine and how they handle controllers.
  • Currently the cursor moves very slow in the menu but faster on the skermish selection screen... why?
  • In general movement speeds and acceleration curves need to be tweaked for controllers. ex: when scrolling around the map or when calling down a drop.
    • Though right now the movement speed of the cursor is arguably too slow, It is important not to sacrifice accuracy and just up the movement value. Adding some slight acceleration may allow you to have both. (ie allowing the cursor to accelerate to high speeds if you push your stick far for a second, but slowing it down for more accuracy when you are moving it only slightly).
    • Alternatively consider modifier keys to allow you to scroll really fast when you hold them down. (such as the aforementioned 'prev/next character' buttons acting as ±10 in the buy menu)
  • As mentioned before aiming is not very accurate right now since it is bound to a joystick's angle. (Right now aiming is done in terms of polar coordinates, while with a mouse you have cursor in X/Y coordinates)
    • Consider adding a 'virtual cursor' mode, where your joystick input modifies the current aim position via X/Y coordinates instead of polar. This would allow you to get the same accuracy as you get with a mouse, though may require a good bit of tweaking to feel right.
    • In fact, you could use this for what happens when you hold down the 'aim' button, since it would allow you to fine tune the same way you can with a mouse.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:17 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

ookay.. finally overhauled the Xbox 360 controller support. There is now a 360 'preset' choice in the options menu; once you select that, all the recommended mappings are made automatically.

Those recommended mappings incorporate a few of the ideas Johannes presented in here: dpad can now be used for fine tuned aiming and full menu nav (left/right also).. but instead of using the right stick clicky to engage sharp aim, X is used instead. The thumbstick is too easy to not keep centered when also depressing it, causing the aiming to get jammed up when the thumbstick analog input kicks in.

Also, the B button is used a redundant mapping for the pie menu, since it also cancels the buy menu, which makes sense for the B button (usually used for cancel/back on stnadard xbox interfaces). Y is jump (it's spatially the top one of the four.. 'up!'), and A is fire/select/confirm.. also makes sense in the xbox standard UIs. If you guys don't like these preset buttons, you are of course free to remap 'em in the settings file.

Thanks for the great suggestions; hope you like the improvments! Hopefully will make having friends over for splitscreen games a lot easier and intuitive!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next