View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 [Homestuck thread] ACT 6 ACT 5 

Post Re: [Homestuck thread] Got Tiger?
Problem Sleuth is not required reading, the only thing you'll miss by skipping it are several inside jokes that are pretty absurd even if you know the origin.
I like Homestuck, but you probably already guessed from my avatar.

And the fact that there's been a banner linking to a thread on the MSPA forums for nine months.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Speaking of the end of act five flash I just wanted to point out that the entire time I was literally shaking like some demonic super-motor. I was that excited. Then I watched it like 7 times over.

I really think it'll be hard for anyone to top that. Especially considering that Chapter 5 was pretty much as long as the rest of the comic. Act 5 is when ♥♥♥♥ went DOWN.

EDIT: Also this new album's pretty bumpin'. Obviously the best song is Cascade, though. I like Scourge Sisters too. :3

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 pm
Profile WWW

I hope for your sake that you don't get that excited over something like this, and that was hyperbole.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I honestly think you don't understand.

I FAKED SICKNESS TO SEE THIS GODDAMN ANIMATION.
Not really I actually am sick but still. I AM DEVOTION INCARNATE.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:43 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know about you, but where I come from skipping school is a pretty regular thing, be it for an event or just because you don't feel like going to school.

So yeah, I once read Homestuck and I think the reason I now have no intention of reading it is because of all the fans toting it as the GREATEST THING IN THE WORLD OMG BRAH BEST EVARRR and then I read it for like half an hour. It wasn't the best thing ever, nor even good - pretty mediocre. But it seemed like UTTER ♥♥♥♥ because I was told it was going to be the second coming of Christ or something, and instead it was a barely-amusing webcomic thing.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 pm

HS is a thing, I think, that grows on you- that was the advantage of the original release schedule, with a page or two coming out per day. That way, you spent five minutes reading it at a time, and in a week or two, it had become routine, and an enjoyable part of the day you kept looking forwards to.
With most all the chapters on the archive now, people are trying to get through it all in one go, which is pretty much impossible, since it has some good six thousand pages. Then they get fed up with it and quit before reaching any of the most climatic parts. Which makes me sad.
I'd suggest reading it at a more leisurely pace. It's quite an unique piece of literature, once you get used to the way the plot develops.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Loose Canon

And as has been said, anyone who judges it based on the first 100 pages or so is wrong. Not just being "NO YOU'RE WRONG" either, the entire thing changes so drastically that it isn't even comparable.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:09 pm
Profile WWW

I actually find the Cascade mix in the album sort of annoying
It's a 13 minute long mashup of songs, but it's not an interesting mashup like descend was where the tracks are interlayed with eachother, they just play one after the other with a bit of scratching or distortion noise in between.
Why would I want that on my shuffle playlist when I have all the tracks it is made of on there already, only not fixed in a certain order?

Cascade (Beta) on the other hand, the four minute track that is the start of the full Cascade mix and isn't just a song from elsewhere on the album or another album, is definitely one of my favourites.
I'm also fairly fond of Flare, Havoc, Kingside Castle and Black Hole/Green Sun.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:18 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

The thing is
You can't read 30 minutes or 100 pages. You really don't understand- as Areku said, the comic is over 6000 pages. Reading so little, obviously nothing AMAZING will happen.

It's like a REAL book. In the beginning, you get the characters and they do routine, average, boring things. Then something happens and you start enjoying the book. You can't just read the first chapter of a BOOK and say 'Bleh it's ♥♥♥♥ nothing happens', because for all you know you could've turned down a book you'd of loved so much it would be your favorite book ever.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:25 pm
Profile WWW

I think this topic would be better off it was Homestuck fans discussing Homestuck rather than trying to convince people to read it (and the other way around too, without people telling us why they never bothered to read Homestuck).
You like it, fine, you think someone's life would be enriched by reading it, ok, but it's rude to keep pushing after they've already said no once.
It's one of the main reasons Bronies get so much hate and I'm not sure why it's such a mystery to some people.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 pm
Loose Canon

And uh Miggles I mean I'm kinda fanatical about it and all and I think you're pushing it pretty hard.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm just saying. You don't read a book until page 10 and say it's awful.
Whatever.

Anyway:

LIST OF SONGS I LIKE: (From new album)
Calamity
Do You Remem8er Me
Flare
Love You (Feferi's theme)
Davesprite
Homefree
Scourge Sisters
Arcade Thunder
Pyrocumulus (Sicknasty)
Kingside Castle
Even in Death(T'Morra's Belly Mix)
Hussie Hunt
Havoc
Revered Return
Cascade
Judgement Day
I'm a member of the Midnight Crew (Acapella)

That's most of the songs, really. Some of them are just too slow and instrumental, and aren't very interesting to listen to.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:43 pm
Profile WWW

So far I've only conditionally removed Remem8er Me, Frog Forager, Escape Pod, How Do I Live, Midnight Crew and Cascade and plan to keep the rest.
I'll give those six another chance too probably (except Cascade for reasons already stated) although I doubt I'll be putting Midnight Crew or How Do I Live back in

I'm just not really a big fan of vocals, I like instrumental pieces

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:46 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Damn you and your possession of monies. I'll have to wait until someone uploads it most likely, or just steal them off of youtube using vid2mp3 or something. Or I'll just have to listen from the website.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

By page ten I find almost all books are 'awful', or at least 'bad', because by page 10 nothing happens. It's boring. Monotonous.

But, you see, I wouldn't call them 'awful' or 'bad' or 'boring' or 'monotonous', because I haven't had a taste in the action and adventure that is sure to await in the later chapters. Some things pick up slowly. Habits, games, books. It's the same with webcomics, especially considering a lot of them essentially ARE books with pictures, and in some cases, animations.

Which is why I love Homestuck. It isn't just text, nor is it just pictures. It has animations. It's a 6000+ page adventure so grand that is has not only teeshirts or posters, but even MUSIC. How many webcomics can claim they have 15+ soundtracks?

I can see that you may not like it, because you can think whatever you want.
I just can't see HOW.

Last edited by Miggles on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 604 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next