View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next
 Pioneers of space. (Always open) 

Post Pioneers of space. (Always open)
From our cradle we sent forth the first colony ships into space. To explore and colonize the outer reaches, space, the final frontier.

In Pioneers of space the players take command of a colony ship bearing thousands of people. directed to a distant system in the galaxy they prepared to make themselves anew. The colony ships turning into massive habitat units upon landing on the planets surface.

Colonies start with one colony ship, 5 mining drones, 15 tons of metal, 10 agriculture drones, 250 tons of food, 25,000 people and 5 "Can" light interceptor ships.

You can take one of the following skills with you
+1 Science. Scientific pursuits come easier to your colony.
+1 Military. A militaristic mindset means more of your people are trained in military endeavors.
+1 Industry. Factory workers, laborers and farmers make up a significant portion of your colony.

How does work?
At the start of a turn you announce 3 moves "i build another interceptor" "i set agriculture drones to find farmland" "i explore the system" You can also trade resources with other players that you've made contact with, form pacts and conquer the stars.

The DM (moi) rolls 3 dice. The higher the number the better the success. Things like +1 science could effect "Research into transport ships" "faster ships" "more efficient mining" Or +1 Industry effect "i build X" or "focus on mining" or even passively boosting the returns from mining drones.

You start by introducing yourselves:
Image: optional, like a flag.
Colony: (name)
Capital name: The name of your capital planet
Colour: what colour you want to be on the map.
Ideals: What is your colonies founding tenant "all for one, one for all" or "every man for himself" ect.

Bonuses: What bonuses you have gathered, this list will expand over time starting with the intial "skill" you brought with you from the motherland.

Resources: This will also expand as your nation grows, including more planets, spacecraft, food.

The map.
The stars labeled A,B,C..... are free to colonize, select your first star and announce your first 3 moves.

Last edited by Psygnosis on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:34 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: Pioneers of space.
Hmmm. This looks interesting. I will work on my nation now...

Flag : Image
Colony: Canis Minor
Capital name: Canis
Colour: Black or White
Ideals: Strength through economic supremacy.

I'll take the C system, and I'll take a Industrial skill.

Are our colonies already planted on a world, or do we have to find one?

Last edited by caekdaemon on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

Colony: Gehenna (owned by the AMEC/SAAT Strategic Colonization Initiative)
Capital: Temporary Docking Site 1 (aka Moloch Station)
Colors: A circle of grey on a sickly, dark red backdrop.
Ideals: No particular ideals; this is a haphazard early colonization attempt, governed by the coalition of a corporate agency and a major scientific group. Just a bunch of people struggling to survive.

I'll take system C, hopefully on a volcanic planet, along with the Industrial skill.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Flag:
Colony: Gungnir Industries
Capital name: Freedom's Progress
Colour: White and Orange
Ideals: For the betterment of Mankind.
Current Structure:

I wish to go with planet B and the +1 Science skill set. Can we gain more skill thingies later?

Last edited by Fail Flail on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:17 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

TheKebbit wrote:
I'll take system C

I already claimed the C system.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:40 am
Profile WWW

*sigh*
"And so the war began..."

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 am

i was gonna ally you (sharing is caring) but hokey

System A for AMEC/SAAT Strategic Colonization Initiative.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:02 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

TheKebbit wrote:
i was gonna ally you (sharing is caring) but hokey

System A for AMEC/SAAT Strategic Colonization Initiative.

I did not mean that I did not want you in the same system. In fact, it would be nice to have a few friends out in the black. I was just saying that you was in the same system as me, if you did not know that I had picked that system.

@Psygnosis : Can we specify our homelands? If so, my colonists hail from Canis Minoris, a industrial super power with a massive police force.

Also, I quote
Quote:
Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 2.449 billion are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Nonsequitorian wrote:
Your bad latin is showing again, Caek. Minoris doesn't comply with Canis in a way that makes sense. If you wanted a latin name it should have been Canis Minor, meaning Smaller Dog. Also that's a silly name for a country, why not Canis Maximus, meaning Biggest Dog?

EDIT: If you were versed in latin and did Canis Minoris on purpose, than you would know that it does make sense in the Genitive, but "Of the Smaller Dog" is not a really great name, and is probably not what you wanted.

I did not realize it had anything to do with Latin to be honest. I called it Canis Minoris because Canis Minor is a star in the sky. I slapped a is on the end of minor because "Canis Minor is", and I simply cut out the space.

But, you are right. Please hold one moment.

EDIT: God damn. They got rid of the nation rename feature. And now I'm stuck with a crappy name :(

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Nonsequitorian wrote:
Canis Minor also implies that there is a bigger, better Canis Maior (Canis Major is the actual name of the star, but there is no J in the Latin latin alphabet).

Hmmm. Perhaps I can work this to my advantage. If people here could be so kind as to refer to my homeland as Canis Major instead, I can name my colony Canis Minor, which as Non said would imply that there is a bigger and better Canis.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:29 am
Profile WWW

back to system C then

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:39 am

You are more than welcome to fluff up your homeplanets.

As the colony ships seed the stars, Exploration begins. New powers emerge.

Everyone can start making actions. Certain actions can give you more bonuses/Skills such as "beginning construction of a refinery" can on a good enough roll increase industry.

The Can light interceptors can be used to scout out nearby sectors of space. each craft can cover up to a full hex on a good roll.

(everyone looses 1 ton of food. 250 thousand people eat alot of food)

Canis Minor

The colony ship of Canis Minor finds a habitable planet near the young blue dwarf star. Dubbing this planet "Canis" they begin to convert the ship from its space-faring roots to their first home.

Gungnir Industries

The Colony ship of the Gungnir Industries heads for the second star of this system, Their initial surveying shows a asteroid belt closest to the star where they have arrived, a stable jungle world just a bit further from the star. and beyond that a gas giant.

Nono Entromiybo

The Colony ship of Nono Entromiybo arrives in system Entromiybo. Scans show the first planet they discover to be a volatile gas giant. whos surface is scarred by firestorms. In the upper atmosphere the gas is cooled enough to become solid. A valuable fuel source.

Gehenna

The Colony ship of the AMEC/SAAT Strategic Colonization Initiative named "Gehenna" arrives at the star only to find themselves having arrived at the same destination as the people of Canis Major. The Gehenna colony establishes a Temporary docking site on one of the large asteroids in a dense collection that follows a roughly planetary orbit of the star. The asteroids are high in metals and their surfaces flow like magma in the suns radiation.

(sorry for the slow reply first post looked like it needed to be approved so i wasnt around when it went up)

Last edited by Psygnosis on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:31 pm

"Scan Jungle world for habitability"

"If easily habitable (Atmosphere right, no killer alien life\microbes) Start unpacking colony, If not, start making designs for a big ass space station (Orbiting the planets star (Which I now name Keion (Or K-ON for short)))"

"Scan gas giant for valuables"

You mention Hex's, is there a map that I'm not seeing? :oops:
Awesome!

Last edited by Fail Flail on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Gungnir Industries
"Scan Jungle world for habitability"
Scanners dance over Keions planets. The Jungle planets thick atmosphere and dense foliage block alot of signals, but they can tell you that the planets oxygen/nitrogen content is within human tolerances, Though it is very humid. The Life-Form scanners dont give you any further information as the strong humidity and thick atmosphere play havock with the delicate instruments.

"If easily habitable (Atmosphere right, no killer alien life\microbes) Start unpacking colony, If not, start making designs for a big ass space station (Orbiting the planets star (Which I now name Keion (Or K-ON for short)))"
The colony prepares to unpack, weather it be in space or on the new planet, unsure of which due to the fuzzy nature of the life-form scanners

"Scan gas giant for valuables"
The gas giant at the back of the system appears to be mostly nitrogen based. The scanners also reveal its many moons to be high in cobolt and other valuable metals.

Nono Entromiybo
"Scan other systems for a habitable world."
A scan pulse is sent out however it will take some time for you to get returns.

"Send squad down to gas planet if possible"
Brief trips to the gas giants surface are made in a Can Interceptor on the dark side of the planet. The planet appears to be covered in porous rock, some of them floating at varying altitudes.

"Scoop up solid gas and scan for uses"
A plan is put forth to manufacture a scoop apparatus for Can Interceptors which is completed swiftly and put to good use The gas not flammable on its own, but when combined with oxygen reacts, The solid form reacting violently. Your scientists are unsure of what to do with it.

Your colony produces 500 kg of soy foodstuffs.

(im off to sleep, your next turn wont be until Canis Minor and Gahenna have been :) )

Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:14 pm

"Create a main colony on the jungle planet."

"Start making some designs for a huge ass space station"

Create a small mining colony on one of the moons? If not, then just send some drones."

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next