View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Figures, anyone? 

Post Re: Figures, anyone?
I'd definitely love to buy a statue. It'd look nice next to my Sam and Max statue. :grin:
The other options are better suited for younger people who play with toys.
Perhaps it can be realised to have two options, one aimed for kids and one for old people like me?

Nice to see Promster all active and about! How is the wrist?

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Seems like people want different things. I doubt we can "test the waters" with more than one product though. If we proceed further with this project there will be some renders and prototypes coming, helping us to reach a decision.

The wrist is better, but not fully healed. I can't "crunch" anymore and have to take inconvenient breaks, but maybe I shouldn't crunch anyways, because it's what caused the injury...

I never posted the Robopope that I did a while ago, but you might have seen it elsewhere.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Shall we have a community vote? I believe that it would help with the decision.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:17 pm

Actually, I just wanted to see if one of the options was overwhelmingly favored or despised. Since that does not appear to be the case, I think other, presently unknown factors will ultimately decide (economics, structural qualities of the models, my whim). That said, we'll all be better informed if prototypes are made later on, so opinions may change when faced with new visuals.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 pm
Loose Canon

I'd probably buy one.
Maybe a model-kit type dealy, probably a little figurine. The shotgun grab-bag approach I like.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:15 am
Profile WWW

I will pay all of my money.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:25 am

*cough*
Just a quick 1-min mock up of a PVC figure, I think that it's scaled correctly, from whats been said.
*cough*

Made two better ones (these ones are at a better scale as well), I must say I like the bucket cap.
ImageImage
Now if I just had a pic of her holding the helmet...

Last edited by Fail Flail on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:05 am

Regarding miniature scales

A 40k base is 25mm at the bottom, narrowing to 23mm at the top (4mm tall). The figures are often about 28-32mm to the top of the head, but the scale is still referred to as 28mm heroic. Sometimes they measure to the eyes, I guess. It's sort of confusing. The Space Marine figures are of course not 7 foot giants like in the fluff, and the different sculptors have their own sense of scale. The 40k scale appears to be a very loose 1:59, with its trunky figures being less than 6 heads tall (7-9 heads is normal for an adult).

Since the proportions I'm using are different, trying to match a particular scale (for compatibility) may be pointless because the humanoid figures will look odd together. I measured the CMF Light on my pixel mockup (5cm/px) to about 167cm to top of skull (not helmet/hair), and the Medium about 180cm. At 1:56 a (Swedish) man is about 32mm tall. But with the larger heads, and chunky miniature bodies we don't really get a realistic impression of the scale anyways.

As for showing the model without a helmet, I'd like to do that but it's probably not a good idea for a first figure which needs to be clearly recognizable as a CC character. However, I'd like to do alternative heads so people can do conversions, and an "under the mask" face for the CMF characters is not out of the question. It's highly probable that the helmet and mask will have to be modeled separately, opening up further conversion possibilities. With the larger head size used in CC, these figures have more room for fun stuff being done with the heads.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You know I'd buy a dozen of coalition and ronin, but I'll bet billions I won't be able to buy them from here.

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Not sure where/how they'll be sold. Another US-based company might be handling it for us, if this gets off the ground.

Last of the 4: Skeleton WIP 1. I'll have to do a small set of weapons too.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Here's an idea... what if the skeleton could be fitted with zombie flesh? Like them Gundam kits. So we can have skellies AND zombies in one pack or something like that!

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW

It's probably hard to do with plastic pieces, but given the randomly blobby nature of zombies, it's certainly conversion that's easy to do with greenstuff or somesuch.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm

There's always room for more tabletop scifi figures. 15 or 28 mm scales are great.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Instead of having no jaw for the skelly, you could have it be removable.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Yeah, given the size of these heads, there's more room for features like that. Though, I tried it without the jaw, and it looked kinda wonky. I remember having lots of problems with the sprite, but the other way around... hinting at a missing jaw looked better. I think, given the idea I had with skeletons simply being incomplete clones, an intact jaw makes more sense. Ignoring issues with the hyoid (throat) bone which is sorta floating.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next