View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Loyalists.rte - Militia Faction [WIP] Patched 10.07.2012 

Loyalists.rte - Militia Faction [WIP] Patched 10.07.2012
Hello.

Loyalist Militias: a faction about Fun.
Made for B27. Apparently works with 1.0. Untested. YMMV!

Patched 10.08.2012

Attachment:
File comment: .
Patch changelog:
-Fixed the broken patch. Oops!
Previous patch version changelog for convenience:
-Added mapped control for the bayonet (Up at the moment). Nerfed the range also, might make it a bit longer again for the next patch.
-Fixed module materials being too weak, they are now made of concrete
-Some misc. bug fixes

Loyalists_Release_2_Patch_3.rar [910.22 KiB]
Downloaded 7223 times

Screen shots:

Concept art:

note: all image hosting courtesy of postimage

I've been working on this little project for a short amount of time and it now has a balanced selection of units and weapons. It is far from complete as I am barely started but I think some of you may still have some fun with it.

On with the description!

The planetary militias and resistance of the astral body sieged by TradeStar. They may be poorly equipped and trained but they will fight to the last man. As a result of the siege, they are radically anti-cortex control of vat grown bodies. They also strongly dislike anything that is not human. Or that is not them, actually.

Okay, so, more in depth, I made these guys to be a generic human wave attack type of faction. Their units are dirt cheap and consequently crappy but the drop crates and presets included allow you to deploy cheap squads much faster than your opponent to make up for your casualties. It can be difficult to play as none of the units can currently jump and their only air vehicle is so massive it can't fit anywhere. Expect a simple T bunker junctions to be a complete showstopper for your assault force!

If you feel like playing a faction that is a bit more challenging, this is your ticket. I recommend trying the vanilla Imperatus as an enemy, you will have a hell of a time. Try dummy assault, too. I have a lot of fun trying to path these guys through complex bases, only to have them end up get crushed by a drop crate containing reinforcements.

Quote:
ToDo List:
-More scenery
-Mortars/static artillery pieces
-Random generation on the militia men so they can have hats/helmets/masks done
-Zeppelin
-Saber for commissar!
-Make officers and commissars useful somehow (considering a Lua morale system at the moment)

Please do report bugs. I'm sure there's plenty right now!

Actors:

Crafts:

Weapons:

Quote:
Troubleshooting:

Q: Why is your faction so underpowered? I keep losing.
A: It is not necessarily, though it certainly will be if you try to play it like classic cortex command. Focus on spawning units early on to make a defensive line. When your men die, instead of just buying new equipped soldiers, get cheap basic militia units and pick up the guns that are on the field.

Q: There's a hole in the ground. What do?
A: Concrete sprayer! I plan to make a faction version of it eventually, or some sort of bridge deploying mechanism. Maybe you could purchase an actor that is set to collide with friendlies and airdrop it from a balloon.

Q: Why are my plasma guns exploding?
A: This is intentional. You may have noticed that they are much more powerful than the other loyalist guns. There is a drawback, they sometimes explode at random. Inspired by wh40k.

Q: Why are my grenades NOT exploding?
A: Same as above. The grenades are dirt cheap but they malfunction all the time. They're sort of a waste of time at the moment. Subject to change.

Q: My units are randomly gibbing and doing weird things in general, what's up?
A: This is a MAJOR issue with this mod, unfortunately there is absolutely zip I can do about it. When the game's movable objects hit 255, everything goes haywire. The problem is that you will certainly be spawning an astronomical amount of militia men to make up for them being squishy as hell, so do expect to reach the MOID limit rather quickly, especially if you play against the spammier factions like Imperatus. I could write some code to delete your units if it hits the limit, but that would just be avoiding the problem. Please bug Data to fix this. AFAIK the only reason why this limit is even there is that the MOIDs are stored in an unsigned char.

For maximum effect, listen to Sabaton while your units are being shredded into tiny little red bits by coalition gatling guns.

Creditos:
-Asklar's Megalodon code, which I inspected constantly to get the balloon working. I also copied small bits. Sorry man. I tried to rewrite as much as possible, but, well, there's only so many ways to do the same thing. fixed
-DudeAbides for the Rhino tread atom groups. I left them in as is. If this bugs you, tell me and I'll write my own atomgroups. I also looked at the Rhino's code quite a bit to figure out optimal movement paths for a tank.

Please don't reuse my art assets.
You can use my code and definitions and such all you want, however. Mention me if you want.postimageLoyalist Air Balloon

Last edited by OliveD on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:00 am, edited 12 times in total.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:13 am

Post Re: Loyalists.rte - Militia Faction [WIP]
Wow, This is, really cool actually. I like the Cheap unit concept, and the detail you put into all of it, my only complaint, honestly, is that that Seampunk like concept they have does not fit so perfect with the cortex story line ( maybe just beef the tech up a bit, like instead of a hot air Balloon, maybe make it an air balloon that uses a special gas chemical capable of carrying much larger weight then simple heated air.) Aside from that, I really like this concept.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:57 am
Forum Moderator

Some really spiffy art there. The concept is also wonderfully different from a lot of the stuff we usually get. Will be looking forward to more work on this.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:03 am

I seem to be getting a problem when loading the plasma on CC. Keep getting an error but the rest of the stuff is fine. Awesome art but in-game they don't really look the same.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:05 am

ValkyriiKing wrote:
I seem to be getting a problem when loading the plasma on CC. Keep getting an error but the rest of the stuff is fine. Awesome art but in-game they don't really look the same.

I'm having a similar issue.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:19 am
Profile WWW

i cant seem to launch it i open cc and it crashes. No rte aborted just crash :???:

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:15 am

ValkyriiKing wrote:

First, the plasma guns issue: I don't exactly remember but I think they might use the Techion laser muzzle flash effect. If that is the problem, you need the new B27. I'll make sure to fix it with a new custom flash next time I upload it! Should be done now.

As for the art style, yeah, the proportions are different. Should I change the in-game units to look more like the concept? I'm not sure which I prefer.

Also a good thanks to everyone for trying out and giving feedback on the mod.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:25 am

What I can tell from the images is that these sprites are really good. The only thing that is annoying me is that armored guy foot. It is really... weird. :)
EDIT: And how about making that flag their medikit? Someone goes there with the flag and everyone gets healed, like if it was a moral boost or something.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Some things of this mod are wierd. Like, the grenades having chances to explode or not, or the Obrez that fires some bullets at a lolful range, or the plasma gun randomly exploding when being fired. You do get the feel of old technology at low prices.

Still, if you want to give the feel of "cheap, expendable and mass assault army" you must create one of those crates with a pre-equipped army on it, or at least some pre-equipped soldiers to quickly call troopers.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:50 am

Asklar wrote:
Some things of this mod are wierd. Like, the grenades having chances to explode or not, or the Obrez that fires some bullets at a lolful range, or the plasma gun randomly exploding when being fired. You do get the feel of old technology at low prices.

Still, if you want to give the feel of "cheap, expendable and mass assault army" you must create one of those crates with a pre-equipped army on it, or at least some pre-equipped soldiers to quickly call troopers.

Presets. They're set up for campaign already (Light infantry is three guys with helmets and rifles for example) but you have to make them yourself when playing other activities. I think presets are saved per player in the Base.rte folder. I made it this way so the AI would also deploy troops correctly (sort of)

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:55 am

I personally like the way the troops look now, also, as asklar said Pre-equipped actors would be nice. (Some for activities too I mean, at least like 3 pre-set troops, one with a rifle and pistol, 2 grenades, things like that.)

Last edited by Roy the Cuttlefish on Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 am

Hey, my game still crashes when loading the plasma gun thing. Yes, I downloaded the new patched version :-(

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 am

Still crashing on Plasma.ini

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:57 am
Profile WWW

Sorry guys, it did not occur to me that I had 3 version of the plasma gun. Updated the attachment again.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:10 am

It's a good mod, but the only problem I found was that your militia cannot jump, which renders them utterly useless. :x
The flintlock, has a problem with terrain rape.

And.. Here's some help with that (Look for Azzuki's Post!)http://forums.datarealms.com/viewtopic.php?p=461423#p461423

Cred's to Arcalane, As I found this on one of his posts.

Erm. Yeah it's a good mod :D

Edit-I realized that it was intentional for them not to be able to jump, but it would be awesome if they could!
Edit2-My stupidity precedes me. :oops:
BUG REPORT EDIT-When an object (Ak-47) is below a militia using the militia's rifle, after shooting off all 5 rounds, and you auto reload, one bullet at a time, it only reloads one bullet. if you fire another bullet, it reloads only the same one round. this only occurs when something can be picked up by the militia.(Hard to explain)
Edit4?:The Reload time on the scoped militia rifle is 1 second, for a full mag,(5 Bullets) And is Epicly OP :D (Your quite the lucky guy, considering i'm in a good mood, I'm Usually a ♥♥♥♥ :I)

Last edited by Crabman on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next