View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 So guys, I have a predicament. 

Post So guys, I have a predicament.
Hello hello, DRLFF!

Long time no see.

I've got this issue:

I have this fun little uber dreadnought thing, and it can walk and fly and all that good stuff, and (though the scripting exposure fought me a bit) I've got the gun swapping ammunition for close and long range...
However, the default weapons are obscenely powerful now!

Where can I find reference for something that holds up against at least one impulse cannon shot? Literally everything I hit with just about any explosive in vanilla explodes with extreme prejudice. This thing looks the part (as you can see), but it gets perforated by just about everything.

I'll go on another modding spree next weekend (only got to use Sunday for the terrain painting and the dreadnought thing, and I have to work this week like always so I'm not going to get time around that and uni) but it'd be nice to have some intermediate points in the right direction, to make sure it still works like it used to, just with the ceiling for damage dramatically raised.

I'm planning on upping the strength of the materials it's using, and potentially minimising the internal structures as it seems to be getting hit through the attachables :/ obviously I'll also be minimising the damage taken per wound, (it's already damn low) but it seems just about every bullet consists of 3 or so MOPixels. Is that the right way to go or ne?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: So guys, I have a predicament.
Make sure the joint strength on any of the attachables is high enough, and make them a good two or three pixels out from what they're covering. You can make your own material and buff it up a lot if all else fails.

It would help a bit to see the code for the armor.

Anyway, I haven't modded in ages, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You could tweak things like the density of the material and create entry wounds that don't deal much damage, and exit wounds that are painful.

In that way, less powerful rounds (say, shotgun buckshot, though sometimes they aren't weak enough) will just generate entry wounds, but sniper rifles would generate entry and exit wounds, generating more damage.

Then you'd just need to tweak the GibWoundLimit and the impulse thingies.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 am

That was basically the plan. Okay, I'll do that, see you in a week or so probably with an rte upload. Was basically wondering if anything had changed since a year or more ago since I last toyed around with CC.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:07 am
Profile WWW

Balancing is fun! :grin:

...not.

This thread might help shed some light on how Sharpness works (if you haven't found and read it already) for the purpose of reverse-engineering the numbers into creating superior custom armour materials.

Other than that, I guess it's really all down to tweaking the GibWoundLimits, JointStrength, Mass, etc. etc. until you find something that works.

Coalition Launcher Missiles, though, are just plain cheesy. They can pretty much oneshot one of the Space Marines, so don't feel too bad if they're wrecking your stuff as well.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:43 am
Profile YIM

fyi I'm not new to this (I'm old to this, just haven't been paying attention the game making my own game(s) (see kag2d.com)), but cheers for the relink ;)

Was basically just wondering if there was anything new that mods are using to prevent getting cut to ♥♥♥♥ by these autoshotgun impulse based 20 mass MOPixel blender cannons in vanilla. Looks like it's still basically materials and wounds, so I'm pretty sure I can kill this >:^)

Just used to the old days of the base.rte AK being the gold standard for assault rifles ;)

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:59 am
Profile WWW

Offtopic: *sees bunker pieces* I love you.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

What I found effective against that kind of thing, while working with SAW, is the mass of the material and the object itself. I know you're probably going for the realistic stats with the thing but if you tweak around with the mass of the main torso then you might find some satisfactory reaction with impulse weapons.

Hope it helps Geti.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Cheers Gotcha ;) few bits need cleaning up but for my first recent painted terrain bit I'm happy enough.

Coops: yeah I'll have to go oldschool on it with protection, had a talk with lizard and yeah the vanilla stuff is souped up a bit more than the old days so I'm gonna have to counter that. Increasing the mass decreases the impulses you receive but also puts larger impulses on the stuff you're attached to so it's just a mad balancing act. Was hoping there was some new fix-all for that stuff but it's still good old hacky CC, haha.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

Had a hectic weekend and already back into work :/ Delay, as is always the case with this kinda stuff.

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]