View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Smarter AI Mod 

Post Re: Smarter AI Mod
It's not exclusive to this mod. Try either of the Bunker Breach scenarios.

Ed: Incorporated the behaviours file into the updated version of the 40K Imperium compilation! Will give it a spin later.

Last edited by Arcalane on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:19 pm
Profile YIM

onarum wrote:
I don't know... the AI being able to shoot the hell out of me when I can't even see them sounds terrible to me...

Well, it's only what the player usually does but now the AI fights on an equal level. But I think the snipers always shoot from long range, even in vanilla. Besides, the AI will only shoot the hell out of you if you screw up.

It's fairly simple to counter. You can shoot back manually or let the AI handle it. If you aren't sure where the fire is coming from or you aren't confident in your shooting skills, simply face the soldier towards the enemy, hold Q to release command to the AI and let the AI suppress and kill the enemy. The more soldiers you have, the higher the chances of taking out whatever is shooting at you.

A much simpler solution is to simply scout through the fog of war so that your soldiers can properly engage. You might have to sacrifice a soldier to do so, or drop one inside a box close to the enemy.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:10 pm

BlackAlpha wrote:
onarum wrote:
I don't know... the AI being able to shoot the hell out of me when I can't even see them sounds terrible to me...

Well, it's only what the player usually does

Haha, so true.
I'm getting owned by the AI of this mod, dude. It's awesome. Now I actually NEED to use UniTec/MDC nukes.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Techion/Whitebot weapons like the gigapulsar are nasty with this mod!

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 pm

It sometimes gets annoying because the AI's guarding my base start ducking for cover then they don't get up from their cover afterwards (AI's in sentry AI mode).

EDIT:I think I know why. The mod makes ALL my sentry AI units crouch when put in sentry AI mode. It's SO annoying.

EDIT2: it seems only to be happening at yskely mountains when I'm guarding my base.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:48 am

I've noticed a lot of crouching and then not firing back with this mod, especially with heavy units like the Bear Federation mechs and similar.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:23 am

tankmayvin wrote:
I've noticed a lot of crouching and then not firing back with this mod, especially with heavy units like the Bear Federation mechs and similar.

Could you give me a link to the mod so that I can check it out?

Someone64 wrote:
It sometimes gets annoying because the AI's guarding my base start ducking for cover then they don't get up from their cover afterwards (AI's in sentry AI mode).

EDIT:I think I know why. The mod makes ALL my sentry AI units crouch when put in sentry AI mode. It's SO annoying.

EDIT2: it seems only to be happening at yskely mountains when I'm guarding my base.

That's vanilla AI behavior. When trying to shoot an enemy, the AI tries to make themselves a smaller target. In certain situations, this means they hide behind cover and are unable to fire back. Can't fix that, but it shouldn't be happening often anyway.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm

I'm saying ALL of my units in sentry mode for the WHOLE time are crouching! even when I change them to another mode and back, they go back to crouching again! Some of the actors in patrol mode are crawling too! No console errors are to be found either.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Someone64 wrote:
I'm saying ALL of my units in sentry mode for the WHOLE time are crouching! even when I change them to another mode and back, they go back to crouching again! Some of the actors in patrol mode are crawling too! No console errors are to be found either.

This happens to me sometimes as well. With all the bugginess going on with this build, who knows where the problem is. Have you noticed units will start shooting in random directions even indoors?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:41 pm

Can you find a way to fix the AI being afraid to use heavy weapons in close quarters?

Also, actors seem to not attack doors too efficiently. At one point as I played, they tended to just stand in front of doors and aim at them. I was able to shoot them in the back without them even caring.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Someone64 wrote:

It's vanilla AI behavior. Units sometimes randomly decide to change stance, no matter what you set them to do. I don't really see it as a problem when they do it while not behind cover, because it makes them a smaller target. But if they are doing it while behind cover, try using lower cover. The AI gets a bit confused when their cover is too high and they can barely (or not) aim over it. Then they often crouch or go prone and don't stand back up to shoot over it.

4zK wrote:
Can you find a way to fix the AI being afraid to use heavy weapons in close quarters?

I can, but the question is, do you really want them to shoot explosive weapons at close range? Right now, they will try to pull out a secondary weapon if the enemy is too close to fire the explosive weapon. Up to what range should they fire the explosive weapon?

4zK wrote:
Also, actors seem to not attack doors too efficiently. At one point as I played, they tended to just stand in front of doors and aim at them. I was able to shoot them in the back without them even caring.

Was this a one time thing or does it happen often? If the latter, which type of doors does it happen with?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:15 pm

If they have a secondary weapon then switching is alright, but really, I would take a one to one trade in a heart beat. If some other guy with a shotgun drops down in front of my rocket launcher guy, I wouldn't want him to even think about switching to a pistol. No point in a unit being careful if his opponent is going to rip his face off, he might as well just blow both of them up. Besides, if I stick a dude with an auto rocket launcher spamming explody gun in a tiny tunnel, it isn't like I expect him to survive for very long.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:36 am

BlackAlpha wrote:
Was this a one time thing or does it happen often? If the latter, which type of doors does it happen with?

It happened a couple of times while playing Dynamic Warfare in Maginot, with both horizontal double doors and the singular one. The actors would either stand in front of it, constantly switch weapons next to it, or just try to hug it. They did occasionally break the double doors on the right side, though.

Something in common with all of these situations was that the actors tended to look/aim at the central unit of the doors (the spinning thing inside of the bunker piece) as if they didn't know that the doors could be damaged by just shooting them.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:18 am

Cerevox wrote:
If they have a secondary weapon then switching is alright, but really, I would take a one to one trade in a heart beat. If some other guy with a shotgun drops down in front of my rocket launcher guy, I wouldn't want him to even think about switching to a pistol. No point in a unit being careful if his opponent is going to rip his face off, he might as well just blow both of them up. Besides, if I stick a dude with an auto rocket launcher spamming explody gun in a tiny tunnel, it isn't like I expect him to survive for very long.

I'm the opposite, I greatly appreciate that they won't blow themselves up and I much prefer they try to switch to a safer weapon.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 am

Oh, I don't want them to blow themselves up, but I would prefer them to blow themselves up than to let the opponent gun them down. At least with the blasting they have a chance to take out the opponent too. Really, if I give them a rocket launcher, then it should be my job to keep them away from tunnels. If I stick them in a tunnel with a rocket launcher then I would want them to use it.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next