View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Activity: Tower Assault 
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Activity: Tower Assault
In this small activity you need to capture the last level of tower cutting through endless swarms of enemies. Your funds are limited but all reinforecements are spawned and sent to die automatically. You just need to take control, pull the trigger and protect your brain. Capture level after level and have fun.

Download:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1741337/TowerAssault/towerassault_B30_V15.rte.zip

This activity supports factions for Unmapped Lands 2 and Void Wanderers.

You can design your own towers or horizonal maps, use TowerAssault.rte\Scenes\EmptyTowerTemplate.ini as a reference or template.

Credits:

Weegee - programming, idea, scene design
Gotcha! - MP3 bunker modules, testing
Kettenkrad - spriting, testing
Arcalane - testing
Roast Veg - testing
Zxmadkiller - testing

Last edited by weegee on Sun May 11, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Post Re: Activity: Tower Assault
What do we exactly do? I just can't understand the objective you put in there. :-(
EDIT: Never mind, I downloaded and now I get it. Another battle to watch from WeeGee.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 am

I hope Weegee 2.0 can continue your amazing work if you ever decide to leave the forms.

Excellent mission, as always.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:03 am

That's another fun mission you got there. I thought the enemy's spawn rate was a bit low on my first try, but looking through the files I saw you took care of making it highly adjustable with the difficulty-based values. Very nice!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:16 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Sir wrote:
I hope Weegee 2.0 can continue your amazing work if you ever decide to leave the forms.

Haha, I hope he will mod for Cortex Command 2.0 )))

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 am

You should teach him to mod at a very early age. That way, he'll become an amazing modder in no time!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 am

This is so much fun. :D Love it!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Pretty fun, although I find that the AI is pretty bad at trying to navigate upwards - I can micromanage a few soldiers past halfway up but they tend to all die and I find my nearest soldier still trying to get past the third chamber up...

If it were possible to move the spawn point for your units to the highest captured chamber, that would alleviate some of that frustration methinks.

EDIT: I just looked at the screenshot in the first post more closely and it seems that the spawn point is supposed to move, so I guess I have a glitch.
MORE EDIT: Nevermind anything I just said, I see now you have to move your brainbot up. And the brainbot dying only takes a bunch out of your budget, so you can be pretty gung-ho about it too. :grin:

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Sorry I didn't manage to get back to you before you released it but vacation followed by illness made that impossible. It's nice but it needs some work. A button of some sort to get your actors to go to the next uncontrolled floor (or making them do that by default) is a must, since otherwise you have to use the console to keep your guys from standing around like idiots.
Also, I think you should remove the ability to go outside on the first couple of floors. There's no real point to it (except to try to start at the top instead) and it really just causes ai pathing problems. That's not really too important though.
Really I think it should be redesigned so you go down instead of up, since the ai can never get up very well, though I guess that'd make it difficult for the ai to attack your brain. The problem is that'd get rid of the feel of climbing a tower, but this might still fit better in CC, just imagine you're fighting your way down a space elevator or something. Either way, whether you change the direction or not, you should redesign the floors a bit, open the corridors up (use mp3 pieces to make everything 1.5X as wide) to allow more movement room and fighting space and put some more platforms in the higher floors so that people can actually stand.
Also what's the fund thing actually for? If it's essentially a count of how many brains you have left, why not just go with that and make it easier. If that's not it, then I'm really not sure what it is.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Thanks Bad Boy, I'll add an opportunity to assault any level from both sides, and probably make player reinforcements except brains free.

UPD:

Updated.

UPD:

Added multiplayer support. If you can't see all factions, try holding PREV/NEXT ACTOR and move cursor.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 am

Major problem with the activity:

When your soldiers fall out of the tower and off the world,they still count towards the unit cap,so eventually they'll fall out enough to fill the cap so no more soldiers actually spawn.
This pretty much breaks everything,it becomes kinda unplayable after a bit.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:14 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Yeah seen that a few times, I'll try to fix it.

UPD:

Updated and probably fixed

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: Activity: Tower Assault
I can't play this in 1.0
I've re-downloaded this scene about 3 times now and i still get the same error spamming up top. :???:
I have no clue what to do.
Also weegee you have exactly 666 posts :0

Attachments:
File comment: Here's the error and you'll notice in the background that the faction select doesn't show. That might have something to do with it.
ScreenDump000.bmp [900.05 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:54 pm
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Oh, fixed that, thanks for the report.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:16 pm

This is a lot of fun. I'm getting CTD every now and then though.. Is there any way I can debug what's causing it?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next