View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trans-System Authority V1.44 [WIP] 

Trans-System Authority V1.44 [WIP]
TSA Tech

Actors

Craft

The Type II: These were originally made as transit vehicles for atmospheric and interstellar travel, as well as research vessels.
The hull is inexpensive and tough, so they're often modified for various other tasks. The TSA have modified this one to be a VTOL drone
that can just barely haul 10 dreadnoughts in most Class M planet's atmospheres (roughly 2000kg). Of course, their mobility in outer space is
much less limited, as these weren't actually intended to be used as VTOL's. They just happen to be very easily re-adjusted to the format.

Infantry

Standard Infantry: These standard infantry are equipped with a prototype anti-gravity belt that will allow them to temporarily become
weightless after jumping. For the most part, a handy ability on mountainous terrain. (Really just a small jet-boost with large cooldown, I'm not that good with Lua >.>)
Jetpack Infantry: Self explanatory; infantry equipped with prototype jetpacks.
Heavy Armor: They know you need them, so they charge a premium. The suit comes with a load-bearing jetpack that's not to be abused.

Primary/Secondary Weapons

Pistol: This sidearm is powerful enough to be used as a primary.

LMG: The workhorse of the TSA.

Shotgun: Lots of damage at close range.

HMG: More destructive than the LMG, but less accurate and it takes a while to reload.

Grenade Launcher: Shotgun-style reload system. Can switch to bouncy or impact version grenades. Bouncy grenades have a 2-second fuse.

Portable Siege Cannon: A veteran asked an engineer to build him a siege cannon turret into a portable weapon. Thus, the PSC was born.
Pros: Self-Charging, shoots through walls (even encouraged), blows things up from the inside, and you look like a total badass carrying it around.
Cons: Massive recoil, requires a short charge before shooting it, can't distinguish friend from foe and it goes critical when it takes too much damage.
You can drop the battery out to get more air when you boost upward with your jetpack. In extreme cases, you may want to consider a grappling hook.
It's pricey and priceless, use at your own risk. (Disabled by default, if you'd like to enable it read the spoiler below).

To enable portable siege cannon:

Explosives

Hand Grenade: These grenades can be cooked and will explode after 3 seconds.

Mine: Proximity mines. Good for setting up a perimeter.

Tools

Combat Knife: Last ditch weapon when frontiersmen run out of other weaponry. More of a survival tool than anything.

DOWNLOAD V1.44 RAR(2.31mb)
DOWNLOAD V1.44 ZIP(2.96mb)
Put TSA.rte folder in Cortex Command\
To install faction files for weegee's mods, look onto his scene mods for help:
Tower Assault
Unmapped Lands 2
Void Wanderers

Sorry, no Mac version. Not sure how much would need to be changed. I can't test it though because I don't own a Mac.

Version History:

Old Versions:

ToDo:

Other notes:

Credit:
Data Realms - Initially, using some Ronin stuff (gibs, scripts) & some base files. Also for being awesome in general.
Shook - Inspiration and because of his mod(s) I figured out how to modify materials
Gotcha! - I used a jetpack sprite from UniTec. (No longer in use, even still that mod is epic). A recharging ammo script.
CaveCricket48 - For shotgun-style reloading script for the grenade launcher
XavierStudios - Introducing me to a great script I used in the PSC
DudeAbides - I borrowed two scripts from his SW Empire mod for the PSC, including one to prevent mass terrain destruction.
MehMan - I borrowed an awesome script that attempts to even further prevent terrain destruction and also detonate shrapnel in MO's at the same time. Again, it's used in the PSC
The Author of Techion (There was no author in the index) - For a script to bounce grenades but still detonate on MO. Used on the grenade launcher.

Unknown Worlds Entertainment - sounds, idea based off their Half-Life mod Natural Selection

Edit: Updated Graphics 01-24-2017

Last edited by Corpsey on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:08 am, edited 22 times in total.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:32 am

Post Re: Trans-System Authority V1.0 [WIP]
FIRST COMMENT

User was warned for this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:45 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

This isn't YouTube dude, and even if it was, it would still be unacceptable there. Stop.

Anyway, the mod looks pretty neat. I really like the spriting, but the pistol looks a bit too square and the icon could use some differentiating colors. You should try to do something unique instead of just having a bunch of normal weapons, too. Try to innovate! You could get something really cool.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:59 am
Profile WWW

I could make excuses, and I will.

I tried making the armory from a game's tech that already exists, trying not to involve my own intentions on the mod.
I'm bad with LUA.. so any fancy sine calculations are out of the question. >.>
I tried balancing with vanilla content as much as possible.

I know what you're saying though.. sometimes complex weapons and spaceships are a great addition to something. I just didn't want to be the person that adds something people think is sacrilegious. I would like to add certain elements that I just would not know how to accomplish.. like having a unit generator that creates an actor, and then when that actor dies he spawns again from the unit generator (infantry portal). etc. If I knew how to program better I would definitely have completed this with a lot more stuff.

Anyways I just thought I'd share what it is so far, so maybe people will enjoy it as much as I have.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:25 am

Reminds me a lot of Natural selection 2, did you get inspiration from there?

Derp reading...
But yeah, do you play on attempting some of the aliens? That would be interesting in the CC world.
Derp reading again... I'm not good at forum...

Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:36 am

There should be a function for automatically disabling the gun when you switch out of the unit who is holding it, maybe even a pie-menu option to be implemented. It would be quite swell if the AI auto switched weapons if you switched away from the unit, or used the pie-menu option THEN switched away from the unit. I remember there being a failed pin/unpin pie menu option in the Wehrmacht mod. It didn't really work, but it would have been useful if it did.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Hmm the AI can actually be changed so that they wont try to pull out a weapon when you switch off of them.. but it would modify Base.rte's AI, because that's where that code is done.

If it's the Pistol/GL combo you're talking about.. you can actually fix this easily 1 of 2 ways:
1) Change the pistol to be in primary group
2) Change the GL so that it's not in primary weapon group.

I might actually consider the second option in the next patch, so the grenadier unit is less suicidal/homicidal when it's AI controlled.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm sorry :roll:

Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:08 pm

This is great! Looks like the Natural Selection Military force. Especially the logo :)
Still very nice though.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Post Re: Trans-System Authority V1.1 [WIP]
V1.1 available. Tiny update to jetpack emission and sprite. Just delete or save over the old TSA.rte. Also I took the GL off of primary weapons category and put them in "Specialty Weapons" so you can go with a grenade launcher and most other weapons and it allows you to switch your AI off the grenade launcher for other, safer, weapons.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:32 am

Post Re: Trans-System Authority V1.2 [WIP]
V1.2 is up.

Key changes (more in changelog)
Most things are 200%~300% more expensive. Jetpacks got a huge buff. Weapons completely re-worked. Infantry gib nicely (craft is okay, about 20 custom gibs, in all honesty more work to be done, and in progress). Dropped grenades no longer explode at full intensity. Battering ra.. I mean.. new craft. Infantry can carry a bit more without getting bogged down.

Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 am

Post Re: Trans-System Authority V1.4 [WIP]
V1.4 is up, hopefully as polished as it can be thus far. New (balanced) additions include the Heavy Armor unit and combat knife tool. I've also added a weapon you can toy around with, the credits of which go to Mehman, DudeAbides, XavierStudios, and Gotcha! (the terrible, terrible sprite work is allll me : ) j/k)

I changed the module icon to fit better within the game.

I may consider adding more weapons that aren't a part of this faction as 'expansionary' (unlocked via the Devices.ini at your leisure). but I'd rather focus on making the Kharaa, as there are many weapons available and you can equip them across techs (especially so with like.. weegee's scene mods).

The heavy armor unit is only ever so slighty tougher than a Browncoat heavy, but more manoeuvrable and at 470gp ea. they aren't exactly cheap. I would like some more feedback on this but I'm pretty adamant on the cost, as I want them to be relatively scarce.

I mostly made this tech to actually go up against them with Ronin, so I may actually release a video of that soon, too.

Next patch will most likely contain the welder and turret.

Edit: I've also included Faction files for weegee's scene mods btw. They are packed with the mod in a folder you can't miss.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:16 am

The way the heavy units' legs move seems to be a little strange. Also, could you make the heavys a tad bit shorter? it's a little hard to navigate them in bunkers when their heads are scraping against the ceiling.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Yeah, I was having a lot of trouble with the legs.. They were actually shorter for a long time that I was using them, and better for mobility, however it brings up other issues like feet that look wrong (like they come out of the shin in some frames and completely float in others) and looking like they're standing in the concrete (and once they start to walk, magically pull themselves out and float a px or 2 in the air).

If anyone wants to take a shot at the movement cycles, they're more than welcome to PM me if they get a decent result, and I'll include it. For the mean time though, the TSA weapons can clear debris on the ground to allow easier movement. I didn't really want the AI to be completely overwhelming with this tech, because then I wouldn't want to throw them in a matchup with the other techs. I could make any thing they do better, but I kind of wanted them to be clumsy and tanky so you only buy them when you really want less MOs on the field with similar defence as 2 normal units, and so that the AI can't spam them.

I did have some ideas to try, but I've fiddled with it too much and the best iteration I had, I didn't back up... So I'm not really ready to try again from where it currently is. For anyone planning on attempting it, I can give you all the old iterations if you PM me. Most changes are easily noticeable in the actor viewer, however the walk cycles aren't exactly put to practical use there, so you actually have to start a test get every single time to actually see how the actor stands/walks.

Short answer: I'm satisfied with the movement cycles as is, anyone is welcome to try to fix it up though.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:05 pm

If anyone wants to try: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32125

A walkpath making software.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next