View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 General Music Discussion 

Post General Music Discussion
There's a "favorite bands thread". I feel like this is more fitting for just saying anything about music, instead of favorite bands.
So I've been listening to new 2013 releases. Notable ones so far have been Comadre - Comadre, Circle Takes The Square - Decompositions: Volume 1, Villagers - {Awayland}, TTNG - 13.0.0.0.0, and Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace & Magic.

Also some notable singles by David Bowie, Anamanaguchi, and The Knife.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:05 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: General Music Discussion
I don't know music.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Sothe wrote:
Anamanaguchi

They make some sweet tunes for sure.

Any other good chipmusic composers anyone can recommend? I know of a few, though I don't consistantly like all their tracks ofc;
FantomenK, _ensnare_, DeadBeatBlast, Binärpilot, Malmen (& Joule), Smiletron, Trey Frey, Je Mappelle...

Last edited by Adriaan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm

What about actual musical activities? I'm very close with music, it's the only hobby that's more important to me than gaming.

As for playing - my primary instrument is the electric bass, but I can also play the guitar, drums and keyboard. Maybe sing, too.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

I got a guitar, a classic one, Michael VM21.
Been getting some nice experience with it, in 3 months without need for music school or anything like that, I already can play a bunch of songs.
Still, I want an electric one to play some of them. The one I most want to play is The Kids Aren't Alright, by Offspring.
Do you guys know any good songs that are easy to play?

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:57 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I play piano and write a lot of music, though I don't share it often. I listen to a wide range of music, from orchestral to videogame to classical to metal to ambient and J-pop and a fair few other things.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 pm
Forum Moderator

Lately I've been listening almost exclusively to bad music made by MLPFIM fans (Some is actually surprisingly good though). I could go for some real music, I'll be following this thread

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Lately I've been pretty lazy with my music finding. I've been listening to a lot of tracks uploaded by this music aggregator majesticcasual. A lot of pretty decent chillwave stuff in there.

I've also experienced a new found love for The Knocks.

Scrolling through the most recent additions to my playlist playlist there's a lot of She, Strange Talk, and Dragonette.

I also tuned up my guitar a few days ago and tried to remember the few things I used to be able to play. I can sort of do a half decent rendition of Kids by MGMT.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Adriaan wrote:
Sothe wrote:
Anamanaguchi

They make some sweet tunes for sure.

Any other good chipmusic composers anyone can recommend? I know of a few, though I don't consistantly like all their tracks ofc;
FantomenK, _ensnare_, DeadBeatBlast, Binärpilot, Malmen (& Joule), Smiletron, Trey Frey, Je Mappelle...

I used to be a big fan of Sabrepulse, they're pretty good at chiptune mashups. There's also this guy, Makeup & Vanity Set, who did a whole chiptune cover album of the Protomen Act 1: Hope Rides Alone.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am

That's pretty interesting, meeting someone with that kind of recognition. The only musician I could probably meet around here is Sean Bonette, of Andrew Jackson Jihad.

I listened to the discography of The Knife last night, as well as their new single. Fever Ray taking a slight departure from the Bjork-esque sound.

An example of their performances

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Grace Potter honestly doesn't seem like she would be the nicest or most funny person around in real life. Roots is pretty interesting, sucks that your picture didn't make it. Can't say I know Stacey Kent, since I rarely listen to female vocal jazz.

Emmies don't really mean anything in the first place. It's more like an evaluation of Top 40 music of the year. I think artists and groups getting positive reviews on Pitchfork is the real sign of recognition in the modern independent music scene. As much as I dislike a lot of Pitchfork reviewers, they still know what they're doing sometimes, and give equal opportunity for independent and mainstream artists. Yeah, never really cared for Emmies much.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:39 pm

February 18th I'm going to see Busdriver and Aesop Rock. It's gonna be rad.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Aesops most recent album was pretty great. Ever look up a song by him on Youtube? Gets filled with comments made by angry A$AP fans. I find it pretty funny.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 am

Yo I'm really feeling the guitar player in that first link, Non. Is he the Nocturnals?

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:15 am

Public radio is dead for talk shows nowadays
Pandora, and the alternative for the musically obsessed, last.fm are both the future of radio.

Going to take on Tom Waits more Vaudevillian/Cabaret inspired experimental rock tonight.
Tom Waits is great.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 303 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next