View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Cortex command on the PS Vita. 

Post Cortex command on the PS Vita.
Hello all,

As the title indicates,a PS Vita version could very well be made as the processor is quite strong,it is also being pushed by Sony as an Indies system as well so how about it?it requires all the games it can get so that it could be successful.

Regards,
Chase123.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Post Re: Cortex command on the PS Vita.
I have a 2Gb graphics card, 8Gbs of RAM and a 2Tb hard drive, I can't even run CC at 1x timescale when the ♥♥♥♥ hits the fan, PS Vita would melt.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Surely it can be optimized,I mean think of it,cortex command on the go could be awesome and the controls are there as well.

Surely a console which can handle Uncharted,Killzone and Assassin's creed can also handle Cortex command.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

A console isn't far from a computer, and Cortex Command has a nasty history of selectively running good on certain peoples' computers, even if they have similar setups.

Certainly a console can run AAA games, but can it handle the bull♥♥♥♥ retro pixel terrain, and moronic and useless AI?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:58 pm

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=ps+vi ... B345%3B200

We're talking about this handheld right? Unless it costs thousands upon thousands of dollars there is no way it will have the performance to run CC.
Ever.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 am

Its a 2D game and so it can be easily toned down for the Vita,I think.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 am

Look, it can't. Not possible. There are just too many simulated objects on the screen for the Vita to deal with.
I looked up the specs, 128Mb VRAM, 521Mb of memory. Computers ten years ago had better specs.

The point being that a ~$1800 NZD computer has issues handling CC, a ~$400 NZD handheld will not be able to cope. At all.

The price of components goes up as they get smaller, just keep that in mind.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:17 am

For what it's worth rendering CC would be/is a piece of cake, and all the graphics card related specs are completely redundant. Furthermore the amount of graphics memory is also a shoddy measure of how good it is, especially these days.
The CPU is the bottleneck for cortex command, the vita has an "up to" 2ghz arm cortex a9 in it afair (and a quick check on wiki suggests i'm in the clear).
2GHz is enough to run CC if you tone down the simulation quality (I've written a thread on how to do this, search "cortex command lag less") and ensure you're not being too ambitious with the number of objects, level size, script compexity etc - but the game would have to be ported to the ARM architecture, as it's currently only available for x86.

I dont think DRL has the means or the interest in porting CC to ARM - especially as ARM CPUs are largely low power, targetting mobile. I have no idea if the libraries CC uses target arm as well or whether replacement libraries and new bindings to those libraries would have to be made. If so, the porting effort would take longer and be more expensive.

Long story short it wont happen - partly due to CC's CPU complexity, and partly due to the requirement for porting.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 am
Profile WWW

Oh well it would have been cool.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:35 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Well, we have Jackass and Reality TV for that.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]