View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 49  Next
 FG Lounge 
Loose Canon

Post Re: FG Lounge
Nah, that counts.
I was in it, I know.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

It was made with the intention of participation from DRL members.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Guys, I've changed my crazy huge large system about half a dozen times in the last week in an attempt to make it simple and balanced but still include features like gaining defense/dodge bonuses from holding a melee weapon and uuuuugh

I'm beginning to think I'll never figure out how to do this.

Should I just give up on adding complex features? Honestly, I need to know if ya'll would even be interested in playing a game with a more complex ruleset.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 am

I'm fine with it. More complex systems lead to hilarious results if an exploit is found ;D

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:49 am

Yeah, I've been trying to avoid making things that could lead to one character type being abusive, but I have a feeling that allowing people to put as much energy as they want into spells is going to lead to serious abuse.

I made a formula to decide how much spells will cost to cast:
(p^2) x (d x 0.1) x ((6 - t) x 1.2)

p = Power multiplier. A multiplier you apply to your Fortitude (Basically a mage's Strength stat) to determine how strong your spell is.
d = Distance. How many tiles you're gonna be shooting it. Short distances make spells cost a lot less.
t = Casting Time. Measured in ticks (a tick is a nondescript unit of time - there are 5 ticks in a full combat round). If you spend more time casting, it costs less to cast.

By this formula, a fireball or other basic projectile with a power multiplier of 1 being fired 20 tiles and being cast in 1 tick would end up costing 12 MP.

THIS is the kind of ridiculous effort I'm putting into keeping this game fun and full of options while still imposing rules.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Personally, I don't enjoy complex rules. They are pretty difficult to actually use.

My issue with Cavecricket's system is too many stats.

Aim and agility could be merged into one, in my opinion, since they are pretty much linked together anyway. Strength is also a pain, especially if strength is tied to carrying capacity, which means that, like my steel spear, you should technically have more carry capacity from a weapon.

Hell, Destiny doesn't have limitation rules. You want to build a weapon to incinerate the planet's atmosphere? Dice roll, I won't stop you.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 am
Profile WWW

If you go with the whole "the DM's word is law" thing, writer fiat/in-story explanation will stop most gamebreaking plans dead in their tracks.

The problem with strictly rule-based systems is that, in some cases, they can serve as a mechanistic crutch for wide-open options and bespoke content. While they are intrinsically more fair, relying too much on preset mechanics can lead to unexpectedly awkward incidents. See "Caek attempting to gain a spine-busting attack skill in Unknown Lands for multiple turns before CC48 decided to magnanimously grant him it". Also the fact that one is by default forced to choose between being able to lift one's weapons and being able to hit anything.

Natural selection means that here at DRLFF, of course, we have a surfeit of incredibly competent DMs with a variety of rolling styles, from HKU to Rags to CC48 to Caek to maart3n to yourself, Nighthawk. It's nice to see any grand mechanical experiment attempted.

I'm looking forward to the project in whatever final form it takes.

Last edited by TheKebbit on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:19 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

TheKebbit wrote:
if you go with the whole "the DM's word is law" thing, arbitrary fiat/in-story explanation will stop most gamebreaking plans dead in their tracks

It's not that hard to deal with that, either. Since you ultimately control the results of an action, you can choose to shoot dead gamebreaking mechanics right there, or do an on the fly retcon.

I won't need to do either with Destiny since it's hard to make a game breaking plan in a 4x :)

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:27 am
Profile WWW

IUL is Experimental 2.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:28 am

I've edited my previous post to be much more informative.

I find IUL's system enthralling, despite its occasional moments of skill rigidity and turns where not much happens. There's something to be said for the intrinsic glow a player like me gets when they watch their stats tick up and their skills agglomerate.

(Also, if you're drawing on a preset skill list as I think you may be, the amount of thought that went into such a hypothetical list is kind of astounding to a seat-of-the-pants RTD writing chump like me.)

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:33 am

Beginning of IUL is like grind time or whatever. Tutorial mode or experimentation mode? Don't want to throw everyone at a mob of monsters when they're still trying to figure out how things work in-game. It'll pick up soon enough.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:38 am

CaveCricket48 wrote:
IUL is Experimental 2.

If I ever get a system that seems to WORK and I am satisfied with, I'm probably going to make an experimental RtD to see how it goes in an actual player environment.

What the heck will I name the thread for that, I wonder. "RtD Experimental, except not made by Cavecricket (and a lot more painful to play)"?

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:43 am

Name it something vaguely based on the theme of the RtD.

Experimental because they were in experimentation rooms, IUL because they're going Into Unknown Lands, Equilibrium because that's a secret, Infidium because you'll find out soon enough, etc.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:54 am

My RtD has so many tropes in it that nobody is going to be able to take is seriously.

Not to mention Torrent has already used several key ideas I was going to implement into the story. If I release it as originally planned, it'll practically make me look like I stole all his ideas, when in reality, they were just such classic ideas that we both stumbled upon them. Torrent just decided to actually use them, instead of waiting for ages like me.

I'm going to stop myself before I begin ranting, but that's the gist of it. I wonder if I should change my planned storyline, though.

Last edited by Nighthawk on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:56 am

Make it anyways because dumb HK isn't running GTS anymore.

Also go action.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 49  Next