View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 How data realms will rule a country 

Post How data realms will rule a country
Warning: Wall of text.

I had an idea, and I'll abandon it if it doesn't seem to get any traction. I don't know how many of you play or know about NationStates, so I'll try to explain briefly.

==== What? ====
NationStates is a web-based "game" developed by author Max Barry, probably most known for "Jennifer Government". While I haven't read any of his books yet (I'll see if I can find an epub edition one of these days), I do find NationStates quite fun (mostly due to the status updates that happens when you pass a new legislation, as I don't participate to roleplay on the boards, and there is no built-in multiplayer aspect).

Now that that's over with, I'd like to present to you my idea. I just created a new nation, Data Realms and would like you (the whole community, or as much of it as sees fit to participate) to help me govern it. I can certainly turn the leadership over to someone else if that's preferable, but the country is the account and the account is the country, neither can exist without the other, so unfortunately I cannot allow a group to join in directly without passing around the password (password and associated e-mail can be changed at will if a change in leadership happens).

==== How? ====
Every day, two new issues will appear, with a number of choices (varying between 2-6 it seems, as well as the option to dismiss the issue). I'll throw these issues up here along with the options, and we'll vote for which position to take, after which I'll pick the most popular one. This repeats ad infinitum and the country's status updates as new legislations get passed.

On the day of the nation's founding, 4 issues are up for the vote, so today will be a bit hectic.

At most 5 issues can stay undecided (2.5 days worth), at that point no more issues will appear until they have been either dismissed or a position been taken

There is no way to "win" the game, but the country's ranking in various aspects can be seen (such as the "Industry: Pizza Delivery", "Niceness", "Intelligence", or "Political Freedoms").

you can see the state of the country here:the community of Data Realms

Last edited by mikolaj007 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 pm
Loose Canon

Post Re: How data realms will rule a country
I approve of this for now. Let's make a country.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:58 pm
Profile WWW

==== Overview ====
The Community of Data realms is a fledgling, environmentally stunning nation, renowned for its compulsory military service. Its compassionate, cynical population of 5 million are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.

The large government juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Welfare, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 30%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is led by the Book Publishing, Basket Weaving, and Arms Manufacturing industries.

Crime -- especially youth-related -- is relatively low. Data realms's national animal is the White Eagle, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Data.

==== Issues ====
As said, the first day, four issues need to be adressed, if you think none of the options are correct for a given issue, you can always choose to dismiss it. Please vote on all issues, and don't forget about the flag if you're graphically inclined.

Should Democracy Be Compulsory? (issue 1)
In response to a slow news week, certain highbrow newspapers have stirred up the debate over voluntary vs compulsory voting.

1: "Compulsory voting makes about as much sense as having the death penalty for attempted suicide," says civil rights activist Bruce Song. "You can't force people to be free! You can only give them the choice. Besides, if all those derelicts who can't be bothered to get off their butts once every few years voted, who would they elect? I shudder to think."

2: "It's not contradictory at all," argues political commentator Ethel Shultz. "The fact is, if not everyone votes, the outcome isn't truly representative. Some groups--like elderly gun nuts--vote more often than others. That's why we always end up with such terrible politicians."

3: "This raises an interesting issue," says Peter Falopian, your brother. "And that is: why do we need elections, anyway? Seems to me it would be much simpler if you just decided what was right, and did it. Wouldn't that save everyone a lot of time?"

Book Publishing Workers Strike!(issue 2)
Workers across the nation have gone out on indefinite strike over what they claim are substandard wages in the Book Publishing industry.

1 "We are the backbone of this country, and we demand a fair wage rise!" says union leader Wil Giono. "I don't think a 20% increase over two years is too much to ask. Unless the government forces employers to give us our due, we'll shut this whole industry down! Let's see how well Data realms's economy manages without any Book Publishing, huh?"

2 "We pay our employees very generous wages," says employer representative Daniel Jefferson. "Especially when you consider that without us, they'd be OUT ON THE STREET. Hear that, you scumbags? OUT ON THE STREET! Anyway, my point is, if you cave in, you make our entire industry uncompetitive. You can't do that in the global marketplace. It'll hurt the whole country. The best solution, economically speaking, would be to relax industrial laws and allow us to fire troublemakers on the spot."

Police Consider "Big Brother" Anti-Crime System(issue 3)
The Police department is considering installing surveillance cameras in all major public areas, in an effort to crack down on crime.

1 "This is a blatant invasion of the right to privacy!" says libertarian web site operator George W. Nagasawa. "Now I can't even go out in public any more without being watched? And you know this is just the beginning. Today there are cameras in city streets. Tomorrow they're peering through your bedroom window."

2 "Hey, I've got news for you," says Police media liaison Roxanne Song. "When you're out in public, PEOPLE CAN SEE YOU. These cameras will be extremely helpful in reducing the national crime rate. Frankly, I can't see what the fuss is about."

3 "This 'slippery slope' argument has got me thinking," says Police Minister Tobias Schultz. "You know, it would be a lot easier to fight crime if we watched people all the time. Not with cameras, of course. That's clearly an invasion of privacy. But how about a national database of our citizens, coupled with compulsory ID cards and barcoding? It would stop crime dead in its tracks."

Harry Potter Censorship Row(issue 4)
The latest "Harry Potter" book to hit schools across Data realms has stirred up the greatest controversy yet.

1 "I quite enjoyed the book, until I got to the part where Harry summons evil demons to do his bidding," says religious leader Stefanie Dubois. "Now that's just wrong. We need to restore some sense to this debate, by which I mean we should remove this book from the shelves, salt it thoroughly, and burn it."

2 Teachers union President Cooper Keep says, "Come on, the book is fantasy! And it's a damn good read. I'd like the government to issue a statement of support for our teachers and librarians, so kids can enjoy good books without interference from religious wackos, like Christians."

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Fun fact, I'm forced to always have my id card on me. Democrazy!

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Btw im voting also
Voting ends tommorow at 6:00 pm data realms clock(UTC +1)

Last edited by mikolaj007 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:49 pm
Loose Canon

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

TorrentHKU wrote:

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Totalitarian police state here we come, I hope!

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:24 am
Profile WWW

First voting ended
Counting votes:
1: 2
2: draw
3: 3
4: 2

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:13 pm

A new Issues

Book Publishing Workers Strike!(issue 2)
Workers across the nation have gone out on indefinite strike over what they claim are substandard wages in the Book Publishing industry.

1 "We are the backbone of this country, and we demand a fair wage rise!" says union leader Wil Giono. "I don't think a 20% increase over two years is too much to ask. Unless the government forces employers to give us our due, we'll shut this whole industry down! Let's see how well Data realms's economy manages without any Book Publishing, huh?"

2 "We pay our employees very generous wages," says employer representative Daniel Jefferson. "Especially when you consider that without us, they'd be OUT ON THE STREET. Hear that, you scumbags? OUT ON THE STREET! Anyway, my point is, if you cave in, you make our entire industry uncompetitive. You can't do that in the global marketplace. It'll hurt the whole country. The best solution, economically speaking, would be to relax industrial laws and allow us to fire troublemakers on the spot."

Compulsory Organ Harvesting Proposed(issue 5)
Tempers flare in Data realms as civil libertarians and the healthcare lobby clash once again over mandatory post-mortem organ donation.

1 "It's not as crazy as it sounds," says Dr. Lauren Malik. "Every day, people die because we don't have the organs to save them. Well, that and widespread under-funding of the health system. But the point is, if the government allowed us to take organs from dead people, we could save hundreds of lives a year. And come on, it's not like dead people need them."

2 "You keep your damn hands off my organs!" says alarmed hospital patient Xu Anderson. "They are my organs, and I'll do with them what I like. The government has no right to my body."

And there is an issue from the last voting left:

Last edited by mikolaj007 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

2:1
5:1

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next