View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 [Help needed] Weapon randomising and some other questions 

Post [Help needed] Weapon randomising and some other questions
The main question is about a "weapon randomising system" originally coded by clunatic. The idea of how it should work is quite simple: you buy a device from the buying menu (i.e. "Random Battle Rifle"), which spawns a gun from a list (i.e. , "Battle Rifle MK1, Battle Rifle MK2, Battle Rifle MK-X, Battle Rifle MK-Infinity") , then deletes itself.
The problem is that although one of the listed guns spawn and the spawner device deletes itself, the spawned gun, instead of being in the actor's inventory, is simply created. (I hope you understood this all...I still sometimes have problems writing/speaking english)

Here's the code (gun names changed and comment marked with * by me) :

Code:
function Create(self)
self.Parent = nil
self.Module = "doesntmatter.rte"   --change this to your module name
self.ARTable = {"Battle Rifle MK1","Battle Rifle MK2","Battle Rifle MK-X","Battle Rifle MK-Infinity"}   --alter these tables to list your weapon names
end

function Update(self)
   if self.ID == self.RootID then                     --check if fake gun is being held
      self.Parent = nil                           --and set parent to nil if it's not being held
   else
      local actor = MovableMan:GetMOFromID(self.RootID)   --if fake gun is being held, get the id of the actor holding it
      if MovableMan:IsActor(actor) then               --check that the actor is actually an actor (and alive)
         self.Parent = ToActor(actor)               --then assign the actor to self.Parent for later use.
      end
   end
   local Type = nil                              --create a variable for the fake gun's type
      if self.PresetName == "Random Battle Rifle" then
      Type = self.ARTable         
   end   

local choice = math.floor(math.random(1,#Type))         --choose a number between 1 and the total number of names in the table
   local Gun = CreateHDFirearm(Type[choice],self.Module)   --create the HDFirearm, based on:  *
                                             --Type: the table for the weapon type
                                             --Choice: the random number that just got chosen
                                             --self.Module: the module name, just to make sure the right weapon gets spawned

if self.Parent == nil then                        --if fake gun is not being held
      Gun.Pos = self.Pos                           --set real gun position to the fake gun's position
      MovableMan:AddMO(Gun)                        --spawn the real gun
      self.ToDelete = true                        --delete the fake gun
   else                                       --if fake gun is being held
      self.Parent:AddInventoryItem(Gun)               --add real gun to the actor holding it
      self.ToDelete = true                        --delete the fake gun
   end
end

*I think the problem in this line, (I'm a Lua idiot, warn you) but I don't know how to add weapon to actor's inventory, so I haven't tried anything.

Other questions:
    [1] Is it possible to change a sprite of a HDFirearm (I mean, your actor is holding a gun, you select a pie menu button and your gun's sprite changes)
    [2] Is it possible to change the muzzle offset the same way?
    [3] The same thing on being one-handed

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Post Re: [Help needed] Weapon randomising and some other questions
Jeez, a man can't even go inactive for a couple of months without his code being accused of not working! What's the world coming to :???:

In any case, I just tested it to be double sure, but that code works just fine (assuming it's implemented correctly and the names all match). It was simply written for the previous version of cortex command! The ability to add guns to actors inventory by clicking directly on them was only added in build 30.

Fortunately, updating it to work with build 30 is ridiculously simple. All it needs is a slight delay to make sure the script doesn't get run until a potential actor is holding it and a switch to previous weapon command given to the actor.

So, here's an updated version of my testing code intended to work with a base version of ronin.rte:

(Note: Even if you're not going to use them, there is little reason to remove the other types of tables from the code.)

Ini code (dont forget to change the spaces to tabs!):

Lua code:

To your other questions: No, to all of them. There are various complicated ways of doing those things, no easy ways.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Ignoring the functionality, which I assume Clunatic's got fixed up, you can cut off all of the elseifs and make it far easier to extend by putting the various weapon tables in a table and checking that. See the script:

Code:
function Create(self)
   self.Parent = nil   --create a variable for the parent and set it to nil
   self.Module = "Ronin.rte"   --change this to your module name
   --alter these tables to list your weapon names:
   self.WeaponTable = {
      ["Random Pistol"] = {"Desert Eagle", "Peacemaker", "Glock"}   
      ["Random Assault Rifle"] = {"AK-47","M16"}
      ["Random Rifle"] = {"Kar98","M1 Garand"}
      ["Random Shotgun"] = {"Sawed-off shotgun","Pumpgun","Spas 12"}
   }
   self.Timer = Timer()   --make timer
   self.Timer:Reset()      --reset timer
end

function Update(self)
   if self.Timer:IsPastRealMS(1) then   --check timer. God knows why 1 MS is enough.
      if self.ID == self.RootID then   --check if fake gun is being held
         self.Parent = nil   --and set parent to nil if it's not being held
      else
         local actor = MovableMan:GetMOFromID(self.RootID)   --if fake gun is being held, get the id of the actor holding it
         if MovableMan:IsActor(actor) then   --check that the actor is actually an actor (and alive)
            self.Parent = ToActor(actor)   --then assign the actor to self.Parent for later use.
         end
      end
      local Type = nil   --create a variable for the fake gun's type
      --Select the weapon based on the fake gun's name
      if self.WeaponTable[self.PresetName] ~= nil then
         Type = self.WeaponTable[self.PresetName];
      end

local choice = math.floor(math.random(1,#Type))   --choose a number between 1 and the total number of names in the table
      local Gun = CreateHDFirearm(Type[choice],self.Module)   --create the HDFirearm, based on:
      --Type: the table for the weapon type
      --Choice: the random number that just got chosen
      --self.Module: the module name, just to make sure the right weapon gets spawned

if self.Parent == nil then   --if fake gun is not being held
         Gun.Pos = self.Pos      --set real gun position to the fake gun's position
         MovableMan:AddMO(Gun)   --spawn the real gun
         self.ToDelete = true   --delete the fake gun
      else   --if fake gun is being held
         local GunName = Gun.PresetName
         self.Parent:AddInventoryItem(Gun)   --add real gun to the actor holding it
         if ToAHuman(self.Parent).EquippedItem.PresetName ~= GunName then
            self.Parent:GetController():SetState(Controller.WEAPON_CHANGE_PREV,true);   --switch to previous weapon
         end
         self.ToDelete = true
      end
   end
end

By the way, a lot of the weapon choosing stuff could be cut down into two lines this way, though it does get kinda difficult to read. Also, there should probably be some error checking for if the gun name doesn't exist in the table (in either this version or clunatic's version) cause right now it'll spew out some error message if a mistake was made. An easy way would be to make Type default to the pistol table or something.
Code:
      local Gun = nil; --No need for a local Type variable now, just define gun here so we can use it later
      --Select the weapon based on the fake gun's name
      if self.WeaponTable[self.PresetName] ~= nil then
         Gun = CreateHDFirearm(self.WeaponTable[self.PresetName][math.floor(math.random(1, #self.WeaponTable[self.PresetName])), self.Module);
      end

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Thank you both, the script works like a dream!

Mon May 05, 2014 10:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]