View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Steam Login 

Post Steam Login
so why not add steam login? but have it separated so that you'll still be able to login without using steam but give the ablity for steam users to login onto the forums because it might draw in more people if they can move seamless between them.

Tue May 13, 2014 4:39 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Post Re: Steam Login
That's a lot more complicated than it sounds. PHPBB (the software this forum runs on) really isn't built with Steam integration in mind, so somebody would have to almost entirely rebuild the forum's back end to work with the Steamworks API.

Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 am
Profile WWW

TheLastBanana wrote:
That's a lot more complicated than it sounds. PHPBB (the software this forum runs on) really isn't built with Steam integration in mind, so somebody would have to almost entirely rebuild the forum's back end to work with the Steamworks API.

I'm sure there's a compatibility patch around somewhere or something mention about it, there always is you've just got it look..

Tue May 13, 2014 6:39 am
Loose Canon

Except for when there isn't.

Tue May 13, 2014 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
happy carebear mom

From my five minutes of Googling, Steam uses OpenID but a nonstandard version that doesn't work with all OpenID login implementations. This means that while we could potentially use some OpenID phpBB addon, it's unlikely to work out of the box and in fact might not work at all without some internal tinkering. This will not happen with the current mod staff that conspicuously lacks a phpBB-savvy developer.

Tue May 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Well, your in luck as there are again plenty of places where people are willing to help you with Web Dev.

Tue May 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Dude u can use the Internet on steam it doesn't really matter just stop being lazy and spamming all the topics with this bull♥♥♥♥. The forms are good how they are I mean damn.

Trying to remove cc from steam then this wtf is your problem.

Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 pm

There's nothing stopping you from only looking at the steam community hub for content. You didn't have to log into this forum at all (which has existed before steam integration in the first place) to see what's going on. Steam should have a satisfactory amount of mods and discussions alone.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:22 am

dragonxp wrote:
There's nothing stopping you from only looking at the steam community hub for content. You didn't have to log into this forum at all (which has existed before steam integration in the first place) to see what's going on. Steam should have a satisfactory amount of mods and discussions alone.

I have to say DragonXP that tone sounds increasingly hostile, it actually sounds like your saying.. GET OUT OF THIS PLACE AND DON'T COME BACK.

Last edited by Sims_Doc on Wed May 14, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:31 am

Translation: Steam users won't bother visiting the forums because there isn't any point for them.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 am

CaveCricket48 wrote:
Translation: Steam users won't bother visiting the forums because there isn't any point for them.

I'm going to regreat saying this but it sounds like your trying to say that the forums serve no purpose beyond supporting the dwindling amount of forum games, if that's true maybe they should be shutdown? as they aren't needed anymore..

edit

before this goes any further maybe its best to lock this topic.

Wed May 14, 2014 3:44 am

You're not doing a very good job at reading.

I was simplifying what dxp was trying to say, because you misinterpreted what he said as an insult.

What dxp is saying that there is nothing convincing steam users to visit the forums because they get all their content and discussion directly through the workshop, so creating a link betweent he forums and steam would be a waste of time.

Wed May 14, 2014 4:01 am

they can get the news they need on steam workshop faster and easy so just stop the suggesting and just accept no aready

Wed May 14, 2014 4:06 am

My apologies Sim; I was not trying to be hostile towards you. :-(

However, locking a topic should not have to be a solution for the threads you have been creating.

The point is, as CaveCricket has summed up quite nicely, is that the is nothing deterring you from simply focusing on the steam community hub. Many of the things on this forum in terms of mods and suggestions can also be found on the steam community hub. Thus, it would be a waste of time to find a way for phpbb to allow steam logins directly from the steam server. I don't think valve can be pushed to provide such a service for a small indie community either. If that small amount of convenience is important I suggest you stick to the steam cc community. Personally I don't think it's that difficult to enter in a username and password (which your browser can remember for you) every time you visit. (You can also checkbox the log me in automatically, which would be just as convenient as a steam login option imo)

TL,DR: Basically the time and resources on both our side and valve's side would probably be a complete waste of time.

Wed May 14, 2014 5:31 am
DRL Developer
DRL Developer

Sims_Doc wrote:
Well, your in luck as there are again plenty of places where people are willing to help you with Web Dev.

If we want it actually done properly, that would involve paying somebody. Considering what a huge job that would be to get things working smoothly -- and let me reiterate, because I think you may not be getting the full picture, it would be a huge job -- it would probably cost a fair amount. As well, nobody on the administration or moderation staff here is being paid, but we'd all also have to help to keep things running while it's being implemented.

It's just not worth it for the sake of maybe possibly getting some traffic from Steam. Even if we do, what exactly would it accomplish? Yes, the forum is pretty quiet right now. I don't think that's a good reason to try to resuscitate it, nor is it a good reason to shut it down. If and when Planetoid Pioneers starts to take off, we'l probably see some more activity. In the meantime, it's not going to be terribly busy in here. That's kind of the law of nature for fan forums.

Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next