View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 General Question About Sky Size Effect on Performance 

Post General Question About Sky Size Effect on Performance
Just what the title says. I was thinking of making some maps with more headroom (larger air portion of map), so that the dropships would actually have to spend some time in the game, rather than dropping for one second and then leaving.

I was wondering how much the size of the sky area of maps negatively impacts performance. You'd think it wouldn't have any impact...since there's nothing to calculate, but I seem to recall that it does somehow.

Anyone know for sure?

Also: Anyone got any good maps with a decent amount of airspace to play in? These skinny maps with just enough space for a tall tree to grow in are starting to feel claustrophobic... and I want more epic moments of drop-ships tumbling from the sky.

Thu May 15, 2014 4:29 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: General Question About Sky Size Effect on Performance
Here there are many maps and some have quite a lot of airspace, at least when compared to vanilla maps.

Also, I don't know if it does hinder CC's performance, but generally the maps are either very tall and not to wide, wide and not tall, or just small. I guess the problem would be making the map too big, but I don't recall playing any huge ones, or at least, I didn't lag in the biggest maps I've played unless I was doing the typical CC killer things like dropping nukes or w/e.

Thu May 15, 2014 6:24 am

So whats the highest and largest you can make a map?

Thu May 15, 2014 6:44 am

I experimented a bit with very large maps, if memory serves, something like 60000 wide would make CC crash if it tries to load it, but anything more than 15000 wide already lags too much to be playable anyway. Realistically, I wouldn't go above, say, 10000 wide and maybe 8000 high.

Thu May 15, 2014 1:49 pm

clunatic wrote:
I experimented a bit with very large maps, if memory serves, something like 60000 wide would make CC crash if it tries to load it, but anything more than 15000 wide already lags too much to be playable anyway. Realistically, I wouldn't go above, say, 10000 wide and maybe 8000 high.

I guess that proofs that the game does lag on large maps, oh well.. do you still have a copy of this 10000x8000 wide map?

Thu May 15, 2014 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]