View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Modding Theme of the X Time Period *Blood/Gore! 

Post Re: Modding Theme of the X Time Period *Awaiting new theme!
Hmm, not sure I really deserve third place. In hindsight I neither find my gun very balanced or "not fancy", even if the ini code is dead simple and it doesn't use any lua. I've also got to wonder how much Haloman's self inflicted drama played a part :P. Oh well, I did enjoy making a quick one of gun for a change and the contest certainly seemed to serve it's purpose in that most of the entries were from new modders, so I for one, will definitely join in the next contest.

On the theme of the next contest, my understanding is that 4zK can now choose whether or not he takes killing floor as a prize, or he can choose the next theme? What if 4zK chooses killing floor, will Blump get to decide the next theme?

Regardless, I'd like to offer a suggestion: Why not keep to the "learning to mod" idea? Step 1 is making a gun, step 2 is making an actor imo, so why not go with that?

Oh and congratulations to 4zK and Blump, their entries are both well deserved winners.

Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Azukki wrote:
If you chose the theme, you're ineligible for the prize.

I think what he meant was that the one who chose the theme for the contest couldn't get the prize, i.e. Asklar in this case. He didn't participate at all though, afaik.

I would like to choose the theme, even though I already received the copy of KF.

Mon May 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Ah, right, so now if you choose the theme, you won't get to claim the next prize if you win again. Ok, well go for it then.

Mon May 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Choosing the theme and getting the copy are both prizes of being first place, so you can claim both, or give both/either to the second place, and so on.

And, I did participate. My entry got only one vote (guess who's). As far as I know, the winner can participate in the next theme, but I'm not sure if said winner can claim the prizes.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:24 pm

PM'd Azukki for clarification, just to be sure.

Mon May 19, 2014 6:07 pm

Okay, so here's the idea.
Cricket runs the show. I only control the prize that I contribute, nothing else.

So for example, I had a rule for my prize: chooser of the theme can't get my prize.
That disqualified Asklar, in this case, from my prize. Nothing else.
From what I understand, Cricket allowed Asklar to participate, potentially win, and potentially choose the next theme. I am fine with that, but it doesn't matter what I think about that, because it's not my call anyways.
All I can say is that he was disqualified from my prize. If he had won first place, I would have given my prize to the second place participant.

For this contest, 4zK won without being disqualified from my prize, and as such, I am now in the process of awarding him my prize.
From my understanding, Cricket will also supply him with the prize of choosing the theme of the next contest, if he wants. That sounds good to me, but again, it does not matter what I think about that, because it's not my call anyways.

But, if 4zK chooses the next theme, and I decide to supply a prize to that contest, and 4zK enters that contest, by my rules, which are only relevant to my prize, he will be disqualified from winning my prize for that contest. But if Cricket allowed it, (by my understanding, he would) 4zk could participate, potentially win, and potentially choose the theme once again.

I hope that answers the question?
And the other question is if I'll supply a prize for the next contest? Probably, but I won't commit to that until I know the theme.
To give a sense to how probable it is that I will supply a prize: I'm having trouble thinking of an example theme that I wouldn't supply a prize to.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Now that I thought about it, as much as I would have wanted to choose a theme, it probably wouldn't attract as much attention if it wasn't easy enough for everybody to participate.
I like clunatic's idea of continuing the "balanced" theme though, just to keep it simple and easy for everyone.

EDIT: oh and sorry for not noticing your entry, Asklar :-(

I did see it, just didn't remember it was yours.

Tue May 20, 2014 1:53 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Musical theme would be interesting, but indeed, kinda complicated. I remember once a guy wanted to make a "Bass Cannon", a gun that played that song, but he wanted to coordinate all the sounds and in the end it just wasn't possible.

Coming up with a theme is hard sometimes, specially a rather simple one.

Tue May 20, 2014 6:55 pm

If I remember correctly, CC's "slowmo instead of choppiness" feature sometimes desynchronizes sounds from how long you'd expect them to take. I imagine that could really throw a wrench in the gears of any musical mods.

Tue May 20, 2014 9:39 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

You'd have to futz with the time manager, or as I call it, the time man, and well, as the game calls it.

delta time, real time, sim time, time of our lord helix.

Wed May 21, 2014 10:00 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

What about a gun that changes firing sounds when you shoot it, on a loop for each magazine.
Semi-automatic but with no firing delay, so you can play fast or slow.

Thu May 22, 2014 8:42 am
Profile WWW

Miggles wrote:
What about a gun that changes firing sounds when you shoot it, on a loop for each magazine.
Semi-automatic but with no firing delay, so you can play fast or slow.

changing firing sound? probably easier to do something like this.. Merica from Saint Row 4

it has two firing modes and fires a few weapons all at once.

Thu May 22, 2014 9:11 am

Trivial, actually. The gun could have a null firing sound - each time it fired, you could then spawn an AEmitter at the muzzle offset that played the desired sound instead. By storing the number of shots fired (and resetting it when the weapon is reloaded or after reaching a certain point) you could easily determine and specify the sound you want.

Thu May 22, 2014 12:50 pm
Profile YIM

Musical certainly would be an interesting, if tricky theme. Anyway, it's completely up to 4zK of course, no where is it set in stone that each theme should be easy enough to allow new modders to join in. All we need is for 4zK to decide which theme it will be and maybe set out some guidelines like Asklar did for the last one and we could get started, right?

Thu May 22, 2014 1:15 pm

Yep, just waiting for 4zK.

Fri May 23, 2014 1:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 949 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next