View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Sprite Help Thread 

Post Re: Sprite Help Thread
I gave an attempt asklar:

I was having a difficult time finding colours to use from CC's limited palette so it's a little rough (not to mention im not a stellar spriter) but I think the shape is right.

Edit: It's a little longer than the image though :<

Attachments:
Attempt.bmp [3.3 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Sun May 04, 2014 7:33 am

Just exaggerate the pieces of it that you like. You also kind of have to make sacrifices for amount of space, like that gap in between the picatinny and the barrels is nice, but instead of that I'd rather show off the fact that it has a picatinny altogether (also because it's horizontal, it gives a better feel when you're aiming it in CC - it makes your eyes automatically fill in that it's being pointed in a certain direction).

Also I personally try to make my sprites have a uniform lighting source (from near-left to far-right, with high diffuse). CC uses some epic cartoony stylization for their sprites though, that can be achieved with a darker border on all the key pieces of an object. This would be hard to achieve on this particular source image because of how flat the object is and how that effects the way it should appear 'lit', but for an example, I could border the picatinny and front of the gun with a darker shade.

For rifles and pistols though I find that these things are so subtle, you can really just do whatever you want... as long as a line of aim is established with your eyes. Like, in this image it's VERY clear which way the object is 'pointing', everything else is just whether or not you like the shades of color between the lines or not. Also, experiment with 5 ideas and try not to spend too much invested time into each of them. For example, I stuck a red-dot sight and a short-range sight on this before I decided that I like the picatinny more than both, so I exaggerated it even more.

The last thing I can suggest is for lighting - find a program where you can make a selection-based layer that you can change opacity with - you can fake light a lot faster by filling a bordered selection on a new layer with white/black and then turn the opacity down to highlight or shadow while keeping the Hue you like. Also, with the same selection you can select the pixels of your main object and increase saturation. Although this is more complex, it gives more control over the range of indexed colour you can get once you decide to switch to CC palette - which is important when deciding whether or not the palette version of your object is going to be put into the game.

With all that said I don't exactly aim to have my mods fit with CC's stylization. I kind of do, but the vanilla mods use thicker borders which I have a hard time bringing myself to accepting (into palette) after I put so much detail into the lighter borders. :)

Attachment:
2ndCustomRifle1.bmp [1.43 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Sun May 04, 2014 8:10 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Thanks!

That's actually quite a helpful wall of text, and I'll try to make it work!

If I fail, I'll just copy your sprite <.<

EDIT:

Okay, for the record, I could only manage to make the sprite look worse. I guess I won't be wanting to sprite for a long while Q.Q

So thanks corpsey for the sprite.

Sun May 04, 2014 8:44 am

Just so you see how little effort was actually put into this though...

Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 pm
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Hey, now that's an interesting method.

I'll reinstall gimp and play around with that to see if I get less frustrated now :P

Thanks for the explanation!

Sun May 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Asklar somebody can be stealing your idea right now

Mon May 05, 2014 4:44 am

And if anyone did it would blatantly obvious and everybody would hate them for it, so it would be pointless.

Mon May 05, 2014 4:48 am

Yea major is right

Mon May 05, 2014 4:51 am

I've started to refine it but still looks a little to large but that might be a good thing, at this point some criticism would be nice before i begin to detail it.

Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 pm

My only concern is that the gun will take up almost the whole screen from the ground to the top limits of the sky. Not sure what kind of functionality you're going for with these (dropship killer? Artillery? Shoot Something in Orbit?) but MOST of the maps don't have very tall "skies". Just want you to keep that in mind.

I'm pretty sure that if it's too large you can always shrink it down though with the right program. (looks better than blowing something up [inflating size])

Thu May 15, 2014 5:29 am

Apollon wrote:
My only concern is that the gun will take up almost the whole screen from the ground to the top limits of the sky. Not sure what kind of functionality you're going for with these (dropship killer? Artillery? Shoot Something in Orbit?) but MOST of the maps don't have very tall "skies". Just want you to keep that in mind.

I'm pretty sure that if it's too large you can always shrink it down though with the right program. (looks better than blowing something up [inflating size])

its suppose to be a dropship killer and i was kinda hoping to use a map with a large sky or even find that huge sky map that is hanging around the forums i remember seeing pictures that went from ground to space.

Thu May 15, 2014 5:37 am

If you find a map like that (or maps) let me know. I've been looking for big-sky maps too.

Thu May 15, 2014 5:58 am

Apollon wrote:
If you find a map like that (or maps) let me know. I've been looking for big-sky maps too.

I'll ask for the moderator that posted it, i'm fairly sure he's still active.

Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 am

I felt like trying to make an actor based on the "Mushroom" creature that appears in some of the concept art. I made some slight adjustments to the design because it looked weirdly phallic. This is a pretty sloppy first attempt. I feel like the leotard thing could use some shading, and I don't know what to do about the feet. I think the legs may be too big, but it's hard to really make them smaller without deforming them.

Obviously, the pose will need some adjustment so it doesn't look like it's facing the screen.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:57 am

It's been a long, long time since I've done this but here's my go.

What gives this little guy character is his disproportionately large head. Really push yourself to make it cartoonishly large and as long as you do that I think the essence of the alien will come through.

Some other things I'd focus on are the roundness of his body/hips, the wideness of the eyes, and the low placement of the arms. There's probably not enough room to represent them like in the picture, so maybe just have them splayed outwards?

Edit: On second thought, the highlights on the head are probably unnecessary.

Attachments:
tongueshroom.PNG [1.2 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next