View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA 
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

Post Re: DayZ Mod - XMAS ALPHA
Sounds good to me. Good luck with the mod! :D

Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks, we've got some 40 odd items on our todo list still so we'll need it :D

Also, Background changing based on time of day is now in. Uber's working to spruce it up and make it look nice, and I think finish off a couple more backgrounds. Once it's looking good one of us'll get a gif up for it.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 am

This was taken with the day/night cycle sped up (36x speed) to show the background transition. We'd like to have multiple backgrounds (up to 6) for different things like morning, dusk, etc, but I'm having a hell of a time finding colors in the palette to make an orange gradient as smooth as this blue one. The night BG is featureless and pitch black at the moment, and while it actually blends quite well with the visibility system, we're trying to figure out ways to spruce it up a bit. The problem with adding things like stars is that since each of these BGs is actually an 18000 pixel wide bunkermodule, they don't behave normally when the player's screen scrolls left or right. So, we've been toying with ideas like moving clouds or other screen effects like blowing leaves in the wind. Finally, there's about 3/4 to a full second of lag upon each transition that you can't see in the gifs, but it adds so much to the atmosphere that we think it's a small price to pay.

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:43 am

Is this Mod still being worked on?

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:09 am

Yep, it's still going. We've both been busy recently but we've made some great progress since the last release - the biggest one being scene transitions so you can play through multiple (2 at the moment) maps and keep all your items, stats etc. Also we've put in a nice temporary melee ai courtesy of clunatic that makes the zombies a lot more deadly, so there's more of a point to playing now, which is pretty sweet.
We're not that far from being ready for another beta release I think, but progress the last few weeks has been pretty slow and aside from features to finish adding we've got a few irritating bugs to iron out.

If people want I can post a non-exhaustive list of changes that have been made since last version.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:28 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

I'm interested on that! :D

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:58 am

Well ask and you shall receive :) Here's the completed section of our TODO list since the last beta:
Code:
• Added ammo to loot spawn
• Added "Zombies killed" counter
• Added "Nights survived" counter
• Added ability for transitions to other scenes
• Added BG spawning
• Added smooth gradient to day BGs
• Added working sun and moon
• Added separate loot areas and loot sets for hospital and military areas
• Reworked transition scripts for neatness and to allow comments
• Reworked screen text display scripts for better access and handling
• Reworked player spawning so it can work dynamically based on scene areas
• Completely fixed reworked spawning so everything about the actor is saved on scene transition
• Smoothed out day/night transition so nights grow gradually more dark then less dark over time
• Reworked item scripts to be less messy and use a unified system for parent checking and effects that reduces duplicated code and clutter
• Fixed medical box to work with DayZ
• Made it so specific loot items in a set can have a low chance of spawning, for use if they're way better than the other items
• Made vomiting act over time and immobilize the vomiting actor until it's finished

A lot of these things took several separate efforts from both of us to get them working properly; the scene transitions were especially painful and broke things for ages (and still kind of do in some weird cases that I'm still ironing out), but they're very worth it since they mean that any map can be used with the addition of the relevant areas.
Aside from these visible changes there's also been various amounts or reorganizing, refactoring and rewriting to try to keep things efficient wherever possible and to make it easy for me to expand. It's not directly interesting work but it's very useful.
For example, some of the changes needed for scene transitions have caused me to set up a player spawning system that'll make it easy to allow for respawning on death. It's also made me do some groundwork for saving and loading, so when I'm ready for that it shouldn't be too awful.
We've also been working on bug fixes for old and new bugs, so I've gotten rid of all crashes on player death (I hope) but there's still a fair few oddities left to tackle.

As for current stuff, I haven't heard from uber in a bit since he's busy irl, but here's what I'm up to (I actually just put in a couple more hours on it tonight):
I'm currently in the process of significantly improving zombie behaviours so they'll intelligently choose their target. A few examples of what I'm aiming for are:
1. You could throw a can in a zombie's face to distract it from chasing you while you run away. The zombie would target the can for a bit, giving you time to flee before it goes back after you.
2. If you want to get by a zombie infested building, you could throw a flare somewhere into the upstairs of it so you can sneak by below the zombies that got attracted to it. Hopefully.
3. If you see a fleeing ally, you could get in front of him and aggro the zombie on you so your friend has time to get away. You could also use a distraction like a can or something instead of yourself, but that's probably less fun :D
4. Hopefully other similar cool stuff.

I've had to do a fair deal of thinking and planning and writing notes for it, but I think I've got it thought out pretty well now. Either way it's a decent amount of work to fix up and add to the stuff I already had, so it'll take some time yet, but I think it'll be awesome when it's up and running.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:10 am
Data Realms Elite
Data Realms Elite

It already sounds awesome! :D I'm really looking forward for this mod.

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks! Uber and I are really hoping we can pull off something spectacular so all the time and effort and, for everyone playing it, waiting, is worth it.
Fingers crossed :D

Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:13 am

i seem to be getting a error causing nothing top spawn and a lot of the functions to not work
this floods the console
ERROR: DayZ.rte/Activities/Chernarus.lua:375: attempt to index local 'dists' (a nill value)

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:58 pm

The old version that's released here has some lua errors if you run it in B31 since some core lua stuff (that most mods probably don't use) was changed between those versions. For the time being, try to play it with B30 instead, it should work more reliably.
I'll talk with uber and see if we can put out another release from the current stuff, which is way ahead of this stuff anyway.

Thanks for the interest in the mod, especially considering how quiet we've been about in the last while.

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:53 pm

Amazing! Keep on it!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks man, progress is slow at the moment since we're both kinda slacking on it, but we're working slowly towards a beta release and are almost there so hopefully we'll be able to get a new release out for people to play fairly soon.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Hey I don't know if this is intentional or not, but nothing spawns at all in the map.

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Yeah, that shouldn't be happening. You're starting the proper scenario right? If so, open the lua console with ~ or / and see if any error messages show up there. If they do, quit the game and upload a copy of your LogConsole.txt file in the main CC folder so I can see what's screwing up, the old version that's here might have weird bugs or whatever.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next