View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 51  Next
 Legends of the Sky - Six and One 
Loose Canon

Post Re: Legends of the Sky - Six and One
CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Hey Leon, how do you actually like, attach spells to things."

Leon: "Like that fireball to the bullet? I formed the spell around the bullet, and it stuck on to the bullet. Wasn't actually sure it would work, never tried something like that before.
Had to make a test spell first to find a good spot, but it forms the same way every time so after that it was easy. That fireball spell is pretty simple, lots of safe places to stick the bullet."

Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

"Hm, I see. Might have to experiment around a little.

Think I'm gonna go look at some ammo and stuff now."

> Check out/rent the construction book. If Leon is coming with me, TO THE GUN STORE

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:09 am
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Hm, I see. Might have to experiment around a little.

Think I'm gonna go look at some ammo and stuff now."

> Check out/rent the construction book. If Leon is coming with me, TO THE GUN STORE

Leon: "Ooh, at last."

You check out your book with at the front desk, with a reminder to return it within the week. You're leaving soon for the south, so you have to remember to do that before you go.

You and Leon then make your way to the eastern wedge of Madosa, into the familiar streets of the firearms district and towards the Small Armory. Heading in, you see Cassily is behind the counter again today, instead of the man from last night.

Cassily: "Ah, Gram, Irrashai! You're in here a lot recently. Who's your pal?"
Leon: "Leon, I'm a mage in the same party as Gram. I'm mostly along to look at the ammo, I don't use guns."
Cassily: "Alright, let me know if you need anything. What brings you today, Gram?"

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:32 am
Profile WWW

"I'm about to leave on a long trip, so I figured I should stock up on ammo, as well as look at a few ways to improve my gear."

> Pull out the ammo former, show it to Cassily.

"I had this ammo-former made recently - it hardens mana or something to make bullets, and you can attach spells to it, as well as using polarized mana for the supply. I'm trying to figure out how to get some automated spell-former, thing, so I have a reliable supply of magic ammo if I'm stranded somewhere."

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"I'm about to leave on a long trip, so I figured I should stock up on ammo, as well as look at a few ways to improve my gear."

> Pull out the ammo former, show it to Cassily.

"I had this ammo-former made recently - it hardens mana or something to make bullets, and you can attach spells to it, as well as using polarized mana for the supply. I'm trying to figure out how to get some automated spell-former, thing, so I have a reliable supply of magic ammo if I'm stranded somewhere."

Cassily takes the former and looks it over, snapping the lid open and examining the bullet that formed while you were reading in the library.

Cassily: "Well that's definitely out of my wheelhouse. The boss and I are good with gunsmithing and bullets, we can probably help you figure out a good powder load for these. Neither of us are mages though, I think you're on your own for attaching spells. Sounds interesting though. Spell bullets, that could have potential.
How tough are the bullets?"

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:20 am
Profile WWW

"That's one of the problems. Just taking one and giving it a hard chuck at the ground is enough to make it detonate and release whatever spell's attached to it. Haven't felt adventurous enough to fire out out of my gun yet, in case it, y'know, blows up the barrel.

Maybe that's something you guys here could figure out? A safe powder load for these."

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 am
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"That's one of the problems. Just taking one and giving it a hard chuck at the ground is enough to make it detonate and release whatever spell's attached to it. Haven't felt adventurous enough to fire out out of my gun yet, in case it, y'know, blows up the barrel.

Maybe that's something you guys here could figure out? A safe powder load for these."

Cassily: "Hmm. Do they detonate immediately on impact? Are they shelf-stable?
If there's an explosion delay, you might not even need protection, since it'd go off after hitting the target assuming you didn't aim at something very far away, which you shouldn't be doing with a pistol this small anyway.
If not, then my next ideas are some kind of coating, or even small molded sabots. A relatively soft material to take the blast of the powder and push the bullet along. We've got a few kinds of rounds in stock actually that are made of delicate stuff, so they have a construction like that. One's an anti-magic kind of bullet, some material coated in a resin that can survives the gunshot but breaks on impact, releasing a darkness charge that tears up magic. Heh, those cost an arm and a leg.
Or, uh... bullet spells? Spells designed to launch bullets from a gun with kinetic magic instead of an explosion. I don't know about acquiring that, but the boss..."

She turns around and pokes her head around the doorway behind the counter.
Cassily: "Hey boss! Got a guy here wants to know about bullet spells!"

A moment later, she pulls back to face you, and a few seconds after that a man walks into view. Hey, that's the guy from last night.
Boss: "Heyy, Gram, you're back! Stocking up on ammo after all eh? Or rather, what's this about bullet spells?"
You see Leon turned away from the rows of magic bullets he was examining, his attention captured by the subject of magic.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:21 am
Profile WWW

> Hand him the bullet former.

"Takes in mana, makes hardened mana bullets. You can feed it polarized mana, and attach a spell to the bullet. Tryin' to figure out how I could get some autonomous spell-former-and-attacher on it.

Don't know the details of how stable the bullets are yet - some proper experimentation is probably in order."

Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:56 am
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
> Hand him the bullet former.

"Takes in mana, makes hardened mana bullets. You can feed it polarized mana, and attach a spell to the bullet. Tryin' to figure out how I could get some autonomous spell-former-and-attacher on it.

Don't know the details of how stable the bullets are yet - some proper experimentation is probably in order."

He looks it over in his hands, similar to Cassily. He takes the bullet and peers at it through the light.
Boss: "Hrm. Very light, fairly transparent, no spot in the device for a material load. Not melting in my hand. I'm guessing it binds mana to air, solidifies that in the shape of the bullet. Would explain the fragility, only thing keeping it together is mana. Though that alone would be pretty useless, stupid fragile bullets like that'll just splatter instead of doing damage.
Takes a long time to make one, right? I'm guessing it puts a lot of mana into it... Not directly used to bind to the material, more of stacked onto the magic material. When it breaks, the whole magic material starts fraying and dissolving, and the stacked mana concentrates up. Last bit of material runs out, and suddenly the mana all 'falls' into the physical world as energy."

Cassily: "I. Did not know you were this versed in magic when did this happen? Where is the real boss who only knows guns?"
Boss: "Hah! Little lady, you've got a lot to learn. Specifically, I made sure I knew as much about the ammo I stock as possible! If something's gonna blow me up, I won't have it come as a surprise to me.
Anyway, Gram, these little buggers should have a, I suppose a timer, that starts when they crack. Moment later, when the material fully breaks down it'll burst into a little burst o' magic. So!

They should be safe with a normal powder load. It might damage the bullet, but it'll make it clear of you long before it explodes. Of course, then you may have issues with it blowing before the target, or fragments flying off into the sunset.
A coating might work, keep the fragments together and roughly spherical. The jolt from firing or impact would be enough to break it.
Hmm... some wadding might keep it intact during firing, if you don't want it to crack immediately. Would be interesting with your gun and the stacked cartridges, but a barrier piece at the back of each cartridge could keep the next shot in line safe.

Ah me, look at me go. Did that ya help any?"

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:07 am
Profile WWW

"Hm.

Yeah, I think so.

Got any ideas for autonomous spell attachment? Put somethin' more useful on 'em instead of, whatever the default is."

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:18 am
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"Hm.

Yeah, I think so.

Got any ideas for autonomous spell attachment? Put somethin' more useful on 'em instead of, whatever the default is."

Boss: "Nno, sorry, that's outside my expertise. I know guns and materials. Spells are beyond me."

Leon: "They don't come with any default, it's just mana.
You can definitely make devices that autonomously form spells, but making one that forms spells that don't decay might be hard."

Boss: "You'll want to talk to a craftsman then. Maybe same place you got that device?"
Leon: "We're planning to leave for Belus soon though. You can always just, form a persistent spell and attach it to the bullet yourself. Forming them takes a few minutes instead of seconds, but you won't have to wait for another order from a craftsman."

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm
Profile WWW

"How long does it take to learn a spell?"

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:48 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"How long does it take to learn a spell?"

Minutes to hours usually, depending on the complexity of the spell. Some high level stuff can take days.
It requires basically piggybacking off someone else forming the spell, and after enough repetitions your own soul memorizes the steps to make it.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

"I guess I'll be visiting a magic shop after this then.

I'll take 15 Penetration rounds for now, and [A Medium Amount] of standard ammo."

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:34 pm
Loose Canon

CaveCricket48 wrote:
"I guess I'll be visiting a magic shop after this then.

I'll take 15 Penetration rounds for now, and [A Medium Amount] of standard ammo."

Cassily: "Coming right up!"
She busies herself in the backroom while she talks, retrieving the two types of ammo, then lays them both on the counter. With this many bullets, you shouldn't run out for quite a while. That said, the Guild may start getting on your case if you don't wait a while to requisition more.
You hand over the money for the special ammo, and even with that you still have a medium-small amount left. Probably not enough for any good equipment, but you can certainly stock up on more supplies.

Cassily rests her elbows on the counter and cocks her head lightly as she looks at you.
Cassily: "That's a lot of regular ammo if you count the load you got yesterday too. Your guys said you're going south to Belus? That isn't out in the wilderness or anything, why you stocking up here instead of down there?"

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 762 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 51  Next