View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Grav Lander 

Post Grav Lander
Attachment:
gravlander1.jpg
gravlander1.jpg [ 89.38 KiB | Viewed 12353 times ]

Attachment:
gravlander2.jpg
gravlander2.jpg [ 118.27 KiB | Viewed 12202 times ]

Attachment:
gravlander3.jpg
gravlander3.jpg [ 88.21 KiB | Viewed 12130 times ]

hello everyone. this is my second mod for Cortex Command, created out of necessity for my first mod, which was too heavy to be carried into battle by the game's dropships. i'll release that first mod later.

man, it's been a while since i've done sprite work. looks like i've still got it, though.

this is a heavy-load landing craft, designed for planets with high gravity and extreme atmospheric pressure. it's got destroyable armor plating and doesn't have any problem taking a little drop. i put a good deal of work into the gibs, so do me a kindness and blow it up in the gib editor a couple of times. tell me what you think :)

Attachment:
File comment: updated: version 2.0
Grav Lander.rte.rar [256.35 KiB]
Downloaded 2556 times

known bugs:
--not so great at delivering its cargo autonomously. i wish there was a variable to tell the rocket at what height it should open its cargo doors.
--exaust doesn't damage anything, really. another limitation of ACRocket class--i had to trick it into having two downward thrusters. that's my cop-out, at least. i could've made it an ACDropship, but i wanted it to have landing legs.
--for some weird reason, sending it back into orbit refunds the player a lot more money than the lander is bought for. none of the attachables, to my knowledge, have a gold value. am i missing something? anyone have any ideas?
update: the latter two bugs have been fixed.

credits:
--Azukki for his wonderful templates. great learning resource.
--engine blast sprites modified from metal slug.
--i think my roomate mark is a pretty cool guy. eh plays call of duty and doesn't afraid of anything.

all the sprites except pyrotechnics are my own.
my sprites and code, in this mod as well as anything else i release, are free to anyone to use or modify. just give me a mention and make some imaginative mods.

my next release will be that first mod i was talking about. it's a big stationary cannon turret for air defense, among other things.

Last edited by systmh on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Grav Lander
Nice job, I'll need this for my first mod that I'm woeking on.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:09 am

Jesus Fudging Christ look at that sprite!
Did you have prior experience to this? As in INVENTED THE SNES kind of experience?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 am

Very nice indeed.

And your refund bug is caused by the amount of health it has. for each point of health remaining when sent back into orbit, it gives you something like 2 gold.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 pm

/me foams from the mouth and a seizure.
How the hell did you make those sprites!? Their GODLY. "looks like i've still got it" That's a HUGE understatement.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:54 pm

This mod is epic. Not only are the sprites amazing the coding is really good too.
YGMDL

Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Please, for the love of God, make more mods. PLEASE?!?

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:20 pm

ah, christ. i'm still awake. guess i'll have to settle for a one-hour power nap.

hungryguy--oo. what kind of mod would that be?
funtastic--haha. nah, didn't invent the SNES but i have done sprite work before :) i've mostly moved on to 3D these days... but i have a great fondness for pixel graphics.
thanatos--ah! so that's it. but it's weird. while i was testing it, it had a price of 50 (default rocket price), and it returned 100 gold on refund. so it doubled the gold. when i put it at 190 gold (no difference in hp) it returned 333. i guess it uses a ratio of its health to original price to determine the gold-per-hit-point turnout.
striker121--i will take screenshots through the progress of my next sprite and make a tutorial on my method :)
frosted muffins--hah. thanks. still some properties i need to divine the function of here and there, but i love the way cortex command's code is set up. it's great.
tendrop--i will. i'm addicted.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:28 pm
Profile WWW

My eyes bleed with the joyous tears and divine blood bestowed upon me by that sprite!

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

Wow. Yes please continue working on mods. At first I looked at the sprites and thought they were just ripped. Then I played with it in game and cried. This is amazing.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:59 pm

*Rubs eyes*

*Rubs eyes again*

No, i'm seeing this allright. Those sprites are bloody awesome!
Downloading immediatly, and i'll give some feedback as soon as i've tested it :)

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:09 pm
Profile WWW

systmh wrote:
known bugs:
--not so great at delivering its cargo autonomously. i wish there was a variable to tell the rocket at what height it should open its cargo doors.

For this, you should try placing the exits on the sides of the craft instead of the bottom.

--exaust doesn't damage anything, really. another limitation of ACRocket class--i had to trick it into having two downward thrusters. that's my cop-out, at least. i could've made it an ACDropship, but i wanted it to have landing legs.

If you want the visible thrusters to be active non-stop like on the dropship (No propulsion, only hurting means.) you could use an attached emitter with a rotation to a desired angle to emit low weight/moderate sharpness particles at a steady rate so that stuff would get damaged if they go peeking in the nozzle. Otherwise it cant be helped. (Maybe if Data fixes a certain issue, then maybe it will be possible)

--for some weird reason, sending it back into orbit refunds the player a lot more money than the lander is bought for. none of the attachables, to my knowledge, have a gold value. am i missing something? anyone have any ideas?

Yeah, my suggestion is that never change the HP value of your buyable unit, just keep it at the default 100. In turn if you want the ship to be more durable, give it higher Gib limits, custom wounds that only deal a fraction of the default wounds and a stronger material like Mega Metal. Also increase the ImpulseThreshold to reduce terrain impact damage.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Location: Behind a DarKlone, trying to pierce its fudging armor!
God DAMMIT that's the best sprite I've ever seen!!! CC needs a makeover just to match the quality - I mean,

pretty sweet rocket man. Pretty sweet.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:16 pm

It is awesome ingame, too.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:15 pm

Location: Hopefully in front of a gaming platform of some kind
Ho-ly mother of dropships!

Ah-hm, i meant to say, AWESOME JOB!!!!!! This definably is the best dropship that i have yet to download, props to you my friend!

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next