View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Cortex Command: Reloaded v. 1.25 OPEN SOURCE 

Post Re: Cortex Command: Reloaded v. 1.22 (Airwalk Fix Tester)
Making everything fly slower might calm down the map, even if they had no fuel limit. I'd really like to try it.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:55 am

Post Re: Cortex Command: Reloaded v. 1.23 (Jumpjet Tuning alpha)
Version 1.23 released.

Okie dokie, this is a no-fuel jumpjet alpha.

Jump speeds are kept pretty slow; infantry are a lot closer to Vanilla in terms of overall speeds.

Going to be AFK today, hope that people get a chance to test it out and give an opinion about whether they like it better / worse than the more-powerful but time-limited variety in earlier builds. It certainly seems to fix a lot of the AI problems. I think that the lighter characters should probably move a bit faster, personally, as we're in danger of making it so slow that humans have an overwhelming advantage on the defensive again, but I'd like to hear opinions first.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 pm

I love the changes, you can't fly forever anymore and the walking feels more natural and less floaty.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Good to hear :-)

I'd like to know if they're so slow that the AI's getting really weak again, though; hopefully they're still moving across the map fast enough to give us a good game.

I also need to port over some of the HumanAI code dealing with jumping to the ACrabs, to get them working completely right; it's pretty sad watching them smoothly glide down a slope and then, er, get stuck in a hole because they, uh, forget they have jumpjets, or something. Definitely something I need to fix, heh.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:01 pm

I personally do not like the fact you are currently able to fly forever. Instead of crawling through the mud you just fight from the air (not sure if intended?). I gave the coalition heavy 8 uber cannons (=no reload time) and I was still able to float in the air indefinitely just by tapping the fly key. I do not have anything against a pistol-equipped actor floating around with a jetpack, but a heavy actor with a huge amount of heavy weapons is too much. I wonder if you could make weight affect the actors more? Perhaps not as much as in vanilla CC, but the whole unlimited flight model should be limited to light actors. Just my 2¢. :wink:

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Oh... apparently I screwed up and I was using preset NPC's in maginot defense which still have limited fuel. Everyone else has unlimited fuel now?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 pm

I also noticed that if you buy weapons while placing stuff in the campaign bunker editor, they turn into terrain when you start the round and you cannot pick them up at all. This doesn't happen in vanilla CC, so it must be related to this mod. Deployments work just fine.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:36 pm

That was, after all, the point of this release, so yeah :-) Sounds like I need to fix Maginot, though; it's interesting that those characters aren't standard. Easily straightened out.

Like I said earlier (and at length) my choices on this issue are straightforward:

1. Unlimited fuel, slow jetpacks.
2. Limited fuel, powerful jetpacks.

I don't have any third choices that would result in good AI behavior, so if people aren't happy with this, we're going back to powerful jetpacks.

Oh, and yeah, I can probably put some physics back into the jetpacks, but tbh, it just doesn't matter that much; it was always absurd in Vanilla that Browncoats had the best jetpacks in the game, as well as the best armor, because they were tuned for heavier weapons loads.

That kind of paint-yourself-in-a-corner imba gameplay's inevitable if you require "physics" to apply to everything, instead of having some rational gamecode to handle the other aspects of real physics, i.e., that a Rocket Launcher is not, well, small, and you can't hold more than one of them. Having it not work that way, i.e., Bugs Bunny pockets but weight is maintained... well, it always produced absurd balance issues and I don't want to return to that.

That said, I could make all the humans weigh the same and not be all over the place in terms of strength and then have relatively-minor amounts of thrust power determine who's got the most lift capacity.

Personally, I'd rather just have limits on how many items people can carry, period, but that would require some pretty finicky Lua and it'd be anything but obvious to newbies what was going on. I don't honestly think it matters that much; if you want to carry 8 Flak Cannons, fine, but you're investing about 1000 oz. in one guy, in a mod where that's usually a Very Bad Idea.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:51 pm

Post Re: Cortex Command: Reloaded v. 1.24 (aCrab Jump AI)
Version 1.24 released.

Adds: Major AI / Pathfinder fixes for ACrabs, allowing them to use jetpacks.

ACrabs can now pathfind much like humanoid troops do, and will use their jetpacks to climb to their destinations and move around the battlefield. It's not all entirely polished yet, but it's a lot better than how it used to be, where ACrabs were getting lost in situations where they needed to pathfind upwards.

Coalition General character added, replacing the generic Brain.

Fixes: Coalition Heavy did not have limitless jetpack fuel; fixed.

Changes: Added a quick experimental script to get rid of useless legs on some actors to see how engine performance changes. Can't go a lot further than this until I can actually get a pointer to Feet.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:44 pm

Finally built a basic city map; one of the many things that you just can't do (well) in Vanilla, because of poor pathfinding and actor behavior. I did some initial test-runs with an edit of the Lowlands map and felt that it worked so well that it deserved a nice big map, so I built a real monster of a map with a huge city. It's not as cool / polished as I'd like; I need a lot of content to get cities done right. But it's a start :-)

Prepare for high-rises and urban warfare on a huge scale, basically :)

A really early WIP of one tiny section:

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:12 pm

ugh i dont know nothing about installing mods can you help me ?

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Nice. CC has a distinct lack of city maps. Looking forward to the finished product.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 pm

Not sure why there WOULD be cities on a completely virgin world but hey if they are fun why not.

Some questions: I installed the mod by dragging and copying everything over my CC install (and i do have the proper one) but bombardments don't seem to happen. What are the requirements for them to happen normally?

I'd prefer standard vanilla jetpacks rather than infinite personally. It would be nice to have the option of either if you do add them in.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 am
Profile WWW

Actually, the official backstory doesn't say the planet's never been inhabited. The Mu-Ilaak live on the moon, and it's probably fair to presume they're the remnants of some civilization that existed before the other factions arrived.

Moreover, the backstory makes it pretty clear that TradeStar could care less if anybody's on a planet they've decided to raid for resources.

The idea that it's some "virgin world" is largely just a projection of the blank, lifeless maps that have been produced thus far that don't even have all the random critters that were specified in the game design, let alone the Ronin hideout, the Mu-Ilaak, etc., etc.- things that were supposed to get done that never got done.

Anyhow... on installation:

1. If Mac or Linux, you're probably going to have to wait for 1.0.
2. If not Mac or Linux, back up your CC installation before installing this mod.
3. Follow the instructions about getting the latest build of CC very carefully.

I can't offer a jet-fuel limited version at this time; it's not like it's some easy switch I can throw, given the way the game's structured. I think you'll find that gameplay is basically like Vanilla at this point, with slow jet speeds keeping the battles from being entirely aerial. I am spending, if anything, less time airborne now than I did in Vanilla, where, other than the Coalition Heavy, jetpacks were effectively unlimited if you knew what you were doing anyhow. I don't see the AI just flying around much while playtesting, either.

Anyhow, I'm still working on the city map. I'm running into some sort of crash bug, probably due to engine errors with the new map but I'm not sure yet.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:57 am

Not bad mod at all, but there is one little thing that makes me disappointed.

MUSTACHE BROWNCOAT DRONE

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next